• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lower end preventative maintenance

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Ok so I've got my 900 engine torn down and everything is going well. Because I am doing the 975 kit I will be getting an entirely new top end so im not worried in that aspect. Good thing im getting a new top end because my pistons were one hard ride from blowing up. I'll try and get some pictures of them up soon. Anyways, should I send my crank out to get the bearings changed and such? They all feel smooth and appear to be in good shape, but if its something that should be done I would rather do it now than later? Any inputs?

Thanks,
Nolan

E
Feb 2, 2009
Bellaire, Michigan
wanna tear it down again?

I personally would get them changed now while everything is apart. If you are getting a brand new top end you might as well get new bearings in the bottom. I do not know much about the kit you are getting, but some specialty shops do mods to the crank when they will be taking more force under the larger displacement. Just my two cents. Have a good weekend.

--Eric

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok so I've got my 900 engine torn down and everything is going well. Because I am doing the 975 kit I will be getting an entirely new top end so im not worried in that aspect. Good thing im getting a new top end because my pistons were one hard ride from blowing up. I'll try and get some pictures of them up soon. Anyways, should I send my crank out to get the bearings changed and such? They all feel smooth and appear to be in good shape, but if its something that should be done I would rather do it now than later? Any inputs?

Thanks,
Nolan

If you got the money go for the big bearing kit and one of the best is from INDYDAN.

It would be a bummer if your bottom end went after the install.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
yes indydan does some amazing work with his torquemaster bottom end but my wallet isn't near big enough to support it. What price range would I be in to get the bearings replaced? The bottom end has about 3000 miles on it, is it even worth replacing yet?

Thanks,
Nolan

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
crank

I just went with the new Polaris crank for the 700 and 900 RMK. The tapper is larger and will hold up better for that 975 your installing. The rest of the crank does look the same though. For 860.00 you get a new crank, primary clutch, belt and clutch bolt so it lowers the cost of the crank if you think about it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
yes indydan does some amazing work with his torquemaster bottom end but my wallet isn't near big enough to support it. What price range would I be in to get the bearings replaced? The bottom end has about 3000 miles on it, is it even worth replacing yet?

Thanks,
Nolan

Replacing all depends on the wear and tear.

Premium Features