• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loss Power to Display, Sled would die every 300 yards

M
Jul 21, 2011
Sled: 2010 D8 163 100% stock mileage: 1,543 (Also my first day on my brand new (to me) sled :(

Sled ran fine all morning until all of a sudden I lost the digital display and then a second after the sled shut off. Then three pulls and the sled fires up runs fine but still with no display. I could make it about 300 yards until the sled died again. Sometimes it would last a while and sometimes it would make it 100 feet before it would die. But it would always fire right after a couple of pulls. The head lights work as well as the reverse, reverse light, brake lights ect. Every once in awhile the display would come on for a half second as soon as i started the sled but then would quickly die.

All help is greatly appricated, thanks guys.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Sounds like a Voltage Regulator. Seen these exact same symptoms on a 09. We tried to get it out of where we were and it would run then die, run then die, finally it died!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sounds like a Voltage Regulator. Seen these exact same symptoms on a 09. We tried to get it out of where we were and it would run then die, run then die, finally it died!

I agree with xring and it has also most likely taken out the ecu engine control unit which unfortunately happens 95% of the time with the IQ's. Contact your local dealer and if your lucky you may get some help from Polaris on the good will or warranty side.

M
Jul 21, 2011
Makes sense, The headlights still work as well as reverse so my guess is the ECU is still fine? Anyone know where the cheapest place to get a new VR is?

Thanks for the help

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Makes sense, The headlights still work as well as reverse so my guess is the ECU is still fine? Anyone know where the cheapest place to get a new VR is?

Thanks for the help

MSU, I hope you get lucky but I thought the same thing and after my VR was replaced my ECU melted but as the dealer told me the ECU was probably previously or partially shorted out when the old VR fried but it no longer had enough power to finish the job but the new VR probably will after it is installed?

R
Nov 15, 2009
voltage regulator

Mine did exact same thing last year..700 rmk 2009...was the VR...there is a goodwill warranty, but because my sled was a buyback with 0 miles!!! there was no warranty. Dealer covered install I paid for part...I think that was 150+ Canadian

M
Jul 21, 2011
Good News! Went to my dealer to try and get some sort of deal on a new VR and found out that my sled has an extended service warranty. So in short it'll cost me $50 and they'll fix whatever's wrong.

Gotta love that Karama!

Thanks everyone for the help

M
Jul 21, 2011
Got the sled back from the dealer. Invoice says they put a new Voltage Regulator in the sled Part#4012930 as well as reflashing it to the newest flash for the ECU.

Headed to the Crazy Mountains tomorrow and Cooke City on Saturday so we'll see if they got it fixed!!

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
Good for you
Give us an update if it holds together.
I blew my VR and totally fried the ECU when the sled was 1 yrs old. Got it all fixed on warranty, but I've heard about people who has their entire season ruined due to VR issues and crappy dealers.

D

Dekk

Jun 22, 2011
Hawarden Iowa
Had this same problem with my Dad's 2009 Assault last weekend in the Snowies. It would run, die, run, die, run, and than it died for good. The digital display and headlight also stopped working.

Last edited:
M
Jul 21, 2011
I would flip the VR over and look at the epoxy on the back and look for any hot spots. But sure sounds like you need a new VR

M
Jul 21, 2011
I'm not sure if you can really tell, My guess is if the gauges or reverse work your probably sitting good. From the stories I've heard if the vr went and your sled is 100% dead that you lost your ECU.

H

Hooterville

Oct 26, 2010
Mee Too

Add me to the list. 2009 600 Dragon last weekend was hard starting when cold and started running rough with rpms all over the place at full throttle. On the way back to the truck the gauge went blank, engine died and the $weet smell of burning electrical.
Towed it back to the truck. The back of the ECU has leaked an oily residue and needs to be replaced along with the regulator(stock unit not upgraded). Capacitor checks out OK and I will be replacing the relay as well.
Stopping at my dealer this morning to find out what I will have to pay for what sounds like a very common problem that seems to be a very common topic on here.

Premium Features