• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for opinions on an upgrade....

Triple_trouble

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2010
Marquette, WI
So here is the deal, I enjoy riding off trail and playing in the deep stuff, but as I reside in Wisconsin there isn't really a whole lot of steep stuff. So with that said, I really can't justify spending the cash on an M-series sled to ride a few weekends a winter in the deep stuff (6hr drive away) but whatever I pick would need to be able to handle some local trails every once in a while (scratchers are definate).

I am leaning towards 01-04 MC 800 for the availability and fairly decent price (less than $2k for some) I really like the look of the Kings but I think that might be costly for upkeep and would really not like the local trails which is probably why most of them don't have more than a couple thousand miles on them.

Another option is to try and find a roller setup (blown or not engine) and throw my 700 twin into it and save myself a few bucks (if the roller could be had for a fair deal). Now with this all being said, none of this is likely to happen until summer when the cash is ready for that kind of purchase, so I have some time to hear thoughts.

I have also tossed around the idea of a Firecat (F7) stretched out to 144 or more with a 2" or more paddle. I have seen where a few have been really happy with those setups as well.

My current sled : 1997 ZRT 600 144" 1.5
97ZRT600mc7.jpg

Its kind of heavy and works decent enough for what it is, but I want something that I can just jump on and do what I want. I would more than likely keep this one and would either sell the 95 ZR 700 for part of the upgrade, or I would drop the engine as I mentioned.

So as you can see, I am kind of all over the road with this which is why I am looking for some further opinions. Plus I don't get to ride mountain cats or King Cats very often so if there are MAJOR things that I would either want to watch out for or reasons to change my thinking I would GREATLY appreciate it. I don't jump a lot but I enjoy power and love carving it up and the tank I ride now is very cumbersome for any of that because of the weight.

I know I am just a stupid flat lander, but I really want to pick the right sled for what I am trying to do at the budget that I have in mind.

Thank you for any opinions.

C
Feb 28, 2011
Crossfire

If you can swing it, find a Crossfire 700. Solid chassis, solid motor. Leave the 1.25 for WI and stretch to 144 x 2 for the Mtns. I'm kinda in the same boat, enjoy trail riding in WI and the UP with the fam, but have a case of mountain fever after being west once. My solution: 2011 Crossfire 800. Run it stock on the trails, and slap a 153 power claw under it for the mtns.

Triple_trouble

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2010
Marquette, WI
That is also a thought, but most all of the Crossfires that I have come across are priced out of my target range and higher than many M-series that I have seen. I will not take out a loan for a snowmobile (and would be unable to anyways). That is kind of why I look at the mountain cat more so for the price point.

I guess the thing will be to see where those are price wise when the time comes, but I would still like more thoughts on this. I see a bunch of guys on here are parting out these sleds.... Any reason why?

Premium Features