• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Timbersled Raw shock upgrade question

M
Dec 10, 2018
I have an 18 Raw that I put an extended track on. Me and my buddy ride about 7-10 days per year so I don't really see the need to upgrade to a newer model at this point. I would like to improve the suspension a little by installing better shocks. I am trying to find something economical. Maybe around $150/shock. Has anyone found any aftermarket shocks that are cheaper than the fox replacements that work well? If so, would love some info and what and where you got them. Also, I plan to take my stock ones off soon to see what length they are so I can look around for some replacements but if anyone knows what length and spring size I would look for as a direct replacement, I would appreciate that info also.

E
Dec 19, 2007
The raw shocks are cheap junk. But they are all the same length as the old mountain horse through the aro and riot era if you find a deal on used ones grab them. 14.25 inches eye to eye if my memory is correct. The riot socks would be valved and sprung way different though. I've swapped them from my mountain horses to riot with the riot springs. You can cut your raw shock apart to get the spring off if you want to use it for something else.

M
Dec 10, 2018
The raw shocks are cheap junk. But they are all the same length as the old mountain horse through the aro and riot era if you find a deal on used ones grab them. 14.25 inches eye to eye if my memory is correct. The riot socks would be valved and sprung way different though. I've swapped them from my mountain horses to riot with the riot springs. You can cut your raw shock apart to get the spring off if you want to use it for something else.
Thanks for the good info Eric. Would either of these work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/155374522611 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/255867957036

E
Dec 19, 2007
The first one might work if the holes are 1"so your stock bushings will fit. The second one looks like it might be for a sled. Timbersled made skids for sleds before they made snow bikes

M
Dec 10, 2018
I bought the first one to check it out. The ad says that it is 14 inch but it is actually 14.25 or 14.375. The eye size is correct. Will that extra quarter to three eights inch adversely affect the track?

E
Dec 19, 2007
It will probably be fine for the front shock but if you put it on the back, take the spring off and make sure the rubber rail bumpers hit before the shock bottoms or it will bend the shock shaft.

Premium Features