• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting back into it and looking for a couple sleds for SE, Idaho.

S
Mar 21, 2023
Idaho
We are planning on spending next winter in SE, ID (somewhere between Sugar City and Driggs (depending on what we can afford to rent) to ski and snowmobile and check out the area as a possible place to relocate from western NC. I know it can get deep there so we are wanting some suggestions for a couple used sleds that are good all around. I grew up on sleds in Wisconsin and then Tahoe but haven't ridden much the past 20+ years. I still ride motocross regularly and figure it won't take too long to get back on the horse but I realize that sleds have come a long way since I quit riding so we'll be taking avy courses and cautiously ease back into riding. That said, what are some decent options in the $5k-7k range? It would be nice to find 2 sleds and a trailer for under $15k. What size engine (naturally aspirated) should we be looking for? What's a good all-around compromise for track and lug length? With our MX backgrounds, I imagine as we progress, we'll be doing a fair bit of jumping (nothing too crazy) so having some decent performance would be nice. My dad was a hardcore Cat guy but it's been so long that I really don't have a brand preference as long as it's dependable. If we end up moving there and really get into it, we can always upgrade as we figure out more of what we are after.

I'd also appreciate any locals recommending a good avy/backcountry course we can take. I did spend a good bit of time snowmobiling, skiing and snowboarding in the Tahoe backcountry but that was a long time ago so I want to educate ourselves and then take baby steps. What is a good list of backcountry gear we will want to get? What is some good communication equipment? We've been talking about getting coms for trail riding on our dirt bikes so something that works double duty would be ideal. We have snowmobiled with friends who have a cabin in Island Park so we do have some resources to draw from when we get out there.
Thanks!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We are planning on spending next winter in SE,
First off, WELCOME back to the sport and to SnoWest.
Most of the riding in the zone you mentioned is MOUNTAIN riding and not trail riding.
That said you are probably looking at either a 154 or a 165 depending.
850s are pretty much the norm now, but if you need to save some dollars and add a few more years onto the age of the sled, you could end up with an 800.
But I think you should be easily able to pick up a 2017 or newer in your price.
You will find MANY used sleds in both those size ranges and in your target price range.
If time permits, buy your sleds in the summer, you will get the best deals by far and away.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Seems like I mostly see XM chassis ski-doos in that range, not many 850s unless they're used and abused. A 2015 or 2016 Doo with the T3 package (3" track) is a great sled, and you should be able to find nice, low mile (under 2k) ones in your price range.

S
Mar 21, 2023
Idaho
Thanks guys! So is under 2k considered low miles? What is the consensus rebuild time on the 2 strokes and what's an avg rebuild cost if I come across something nearing that limit?

Ideally, we'd love to be in the Teton Valley for a shorter drive to Targhee but unless something changes, prices are sure steep. If we look further out from St Anthony to Rexburg, are there certain areas to look for that give us easy access to good sledding. Next winter will be us exploring the area so we expect to spend some time driving to really get to know the area, in case prices come down to where we can afford to buy. Unlike many, we aren't coming from California so prices aren't cheap.

So that we can maybe pick up some end of year bargains, what is some must-have gear that we need to pickup? I know that the area gets a lot of temperature inversions where it can be bitter cold down in the valley and then warm up nicely as you climb. We have tons of ski gear (base & mid layers, jackets, pants, gloves, etc) but how different is the Klim (or similar) snowmobile outerwear? Are we fine with quality ski gear? We have warm quality gloves (mine are 5 finger and my son's are the lobster 3 finger with separate index and thumb) so those should be ok with heated bars (I assume is pretty standard)? Boots are something we should pickup. I have some Sorels if those are adequate but his feet have outgrown his. I assume MX helmets are fine with ski goggles. I want to pickup some coms for those.

Thanks!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks guys! So is under 2k considered low miles? What is the consensus rebuild time on the 2 strokes and what's an avg rebuild cost if I come across something nearing that limit?

Ideally, we'd love to be in the Teton Valley for a shorter drive to Targhee but unless something changes, prices are sure steep. If we look further out from St Anthony to Rexburg, are there certain areas to look for that give us easy access to good sledding. Next winter will be us exploring the area so we expect to spend some time driving to really get to know the area, in case prices come down to where we can afford to buy. Unlike many, we aren't coming from California so prices aren't cheap.

So that we can maybe pick up some end of year bargains, what is some must-have gear that we need to pickup? I know that the area gets a lot of temperature inversions where it can be bitter cold down in the valley and then warm up nicely as you climb. We have tons of ski gear (base & mid layers, jackets, pants, gloves, etc) but how different is the Klim (or similar) snowmobile outerwear? Are we fine with quality ski gear? We have warm quality gloves (mine are 5 finger and my son's are the lobster 3 finger with separate index and thumb) so those should be ok with heated bars (I assume is pretty standard)? Boots are something we should pickup. I have some Sorels if those are adequate but his feet have outgrown his. I assume MX helmets are fine with ski goggles. I want to pickup some coms for those.

Thanks!
If you really have serious plans on moving here, I would strongly suggest you come out in the SUMMER and spend a few days getting to know the different towns up close and in person so you can make a more informed decision. Winter changes the landscape and often times reduces mobility and access.

Teton Valley is Pricey, no way around that, with Driggs being the worst.
Ashton/Sugar City is CHEAP by comparison
Rexburg is a bubble because of the University.

For casual trail riding, your ski gear will be fine.
But if your plan is to get into serious mountain riding, its not likely to offer you the performance your going to want, especially not the abrasion resistance to TREES and BRUSH that you will be riding through. KLIM is pricey, but the trick there is to buy it at the SNOW SHOW down in SLC and get the -40 discounts that are normally offered on last years inventory. Otherwise, there is usually a TON of used gear for sale.

S
Mar 21, 2023
Idaho
Thanks for all of the info Christopher! My wife and I are planning to spend a week out there in August to check things out. Maybe we can lockdown a couple sleds and trailer while we are there. I've been looking on FB marketplace and there are a lot of Polaris and Skidoo 800-850 in our price range. Going to look on KSL and craigslist as well. Maybe I'll luck out and find someone selling 2 good sleds and a small trailer as a package.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for all of the info Christopher! My wife and I are planning to spend a week out there in August to check things out. Maybe we can lockdown a couple sleds and trailer while we are there. I've been looking on FB marketplace and there are a lot of Polaris and Skidoo 800-850 in our price range. Going to look on KSL and craigslist as well. Maybe I'll luck out and find someone selling 2 good sleds and a small trailer as a package.
its NOT uncommon at all to see those package deals appear around here.

Also, the local dealer, Rexburg Motor Sports maintains a stupidly large inventory of USED SLEDS.
And in the middle of the summer I am willing to bet you could negotiate a much better deal...
Maybe even squeeze out some shop warranty on them!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID

Thanks!
Idaho sucks. Not worth checking out.
try Utah or Montana.

Premium Features