• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Longer front shocks on KK

Jul 7, 2006
kalispell MT
Anybody got an opinion on this? Can you put a 17" or maybe even 18" c2c shock on a 41" KK front end. I would think they would have to be floats because the springs would hit upper a arm. I've got that chassis w/ a t-cat motor and am trying to figure out how to keep it from diving so much in the trees. Nobody probably cares about these old dinosaurs w/ all the new iron comin out. Maybe I'll just have to share my 12000$ w/ AC and get a new M8 and PGT it.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
9 finger, The best you could put on is 16.5" max! As the shock lengthens at that angle twists the ski outward the further down it goes. The upper and lower arms would have to be lengthened and shortened to accommodate this. Just a .50" lg. increase drops the front down 2" Then you have to lower the front of the skid as the weight will collapse the rear suspension. I know this, As I have done it. When done it will lay over nicely when sidehilling as it now has a higher ctr. of gravity like the M series. Sorry I misread the 41" width, 17" at best maybe!

Mike

Jul 7, 2006
kalispell MT
16" shocks???

I think I have 16" on right now. I believe they are stock AC shocks. Maybe 16.5'? they have the coil over springs on them and I'm not sure what a fox float diameter measures vs. the spring which is 2.75". I thought I maybe could get away w/ a 17". An 18" maybe if you went to a 43" stance. I've got a K-Mod rear skid on w/ a 162x 16. I'm really happy w/ the new skid. works great on the trail and the hill over the stock. I was hopin someone had tried all this also so I didnt' have to spend so much $ and also trial and error. You had to drop your skid down to compensate for your longer shocks?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
By raising up the front, It put all the weight on the back of the skid, And collapsed the rear suspension. By raising the ctr, rear arm it put the weight where it needed to be. It was a complete learning game, Change one thing then change another. I even moved the rear skid back at the same time and made matters worse. Too many changes at once.

Mike

Jul 7, 2006
kalispell MT
makes sense

That would mak sense. Drop front of rear skid downto carry some weight. I dont know that I could raise the rear. I think that would effect approach angle though. Maybe someone who has used a 43' will chime in or if they put 17" on a 41"

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The shocks i have are 2.00" dia. and are adjustable in lg. from 16.125 to 17" if needed. Nitrogen filled and no springs. How is that K-Mod setup, Does it soften up the ride on the trail? I have modified the rear geometry, But the shock is still the hinderance in ride.

Mike

Jul 7, 2006
kalispell MT
Kmod

I love it. Soaks up the bumps. I've got the transfer blocks and the "bigboy" setup.. Heavy duty spring on rear shock instead of fox float. I've only got 1 ride on it but eliminated alot of the slap that was in the stocker. I think I may have to try a set of floats at about 17" and see how they work.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
You can do the task you want,,, you will have to lower the front arm as well. Yes you can raise the rear of the sled as well if you haven't added a rear drop bracket already. Look at this way,, imagine looking at the sled from the side. When you raise one area if you raise the rest accordingly, your lift will look as if the sled has the same stance as stock just taller. While your at it why not put a newer M series tank seat/ handle bar mounting system on and really enjoy the fruits of your labor??

Jul 7, 2006
kalispell MT
Thanks

Already got a boss seat and moved my steering post fwd. If the floats wont bind on the a arms I can adjust the rear to level it out no problem. Is 17" max or can you go more?
I think my next project is to put 09 m running board edges on and trim the tunnel behind the seat. New bumper. Just dont want what happened with the bdx bumpers and kits.

sled2.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features