• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Twin Rail - shock advice/help

L
Nov 25, 2018
I'm exploring ways to get my 19 mountain cat, twin rail to be more agile, sidehilling, getting on edge, etc.

It has the QS3 shocks and I had them revalved (All 4) at GasShockRepair, which helped me out a lot (I'm 250lbs w/gear) as far as compression/rebound.

The problem is that it is still so much harder to pull over than other sleds, even when lower shock pressures. I sat on a new Polaris and it pulled over and got on edge SO MUCH easier. Even when other friends tried getting it on edge (both riding and on flat ground), they commented that it was much more difficult.

So, wondering if elevate spindles would help, maybe aftermarket shocks (Zbros, elka, etc.)

I don't want to just throw money at it, Or is there something that I'm missing here.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What shock pressures are you running currently and what are the QS clickers set to? If your pressures are too low it does make it easier to "body roll", but drops the ride height, and thus center of gravity, and makes it harder to get rolled up and balanced on edge.

The twin rail elevate kit does work good, but should do the full kit not just the spindles. Raises the center of gravity to make it easier to tip. Going that way might need another shock revalve as it puts a lot more pressure on the rear track shock.

L
Nov 25, 2018
60 psi in front. Tried running higher but made things way too stiff and no give.

I'll look into the elevate kit, but wonder if just going to an alpha rail would help.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
For your weight I feel 60psi is too light in the ski shocks. Not enough spring rate. Did you try increasing the ski shock pressure and backing the clicker off to 1? Adding Evol chambers to the fronts helps keep the pressure from spiking to add some plushness. I'm currently 300lb and running 85-90/130 up front on my Alpha with Evol chambers and clickers on 1 or 2 depending on what I'm doing. When I was 270lb I ran 80/135 on my twin rail.

Skid shock pressure and settings can affect how light it is on its feet too. More center shock pressure will help lift the front end and make it easier to maneuver. Too much though and it'll just rear up and dig holes.

The Alpha skid setup does tip easier, but there are some tradeoffs. Read this thread if you haven't yet https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/ascender-lift-spindle-options-and-opinions.462457/

L
Nov 25, 2018
I'll play around again with shock pressures. I LOVE the twin rail stability (don't like riding the mono/Alpha). And my sled has the silber, which I also love.

I'll look into that thread, as well as a full elevate kit.

Thanks!

Premium Features