• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just joined the Cat Pack, new M8 162

W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
Had to lose the DOO, I have been watching the new M8's work so well this year that I had to get one. First ride yesterday and this sled is really nice to ride.

I still have to figure out how to dial the suspension in for me so any help would be appreciated. I weigh about 190 - 200 with all of my stuff on. What pressure in the rear float and what do I do with the front shock in the skid?

Any other tuning tips would help, like I said, new to Cat.

I have been riding my friends M8's this year so I knew it would be a good sled.

All the Doo riders in our group are watching us jump ship to the Cat and they are pizzed, but it doesn't matter because they can't get to us that high on the hill. Don't know why I tortued myself for so long on skidoo.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
welcome. first thing buy a boss seat. i dont know haw anyone can ride the m sled without one. as for the rear float im 220 and have mine set at 125 lbs. but iv tried all the way to 150 but that just seemed a little stiff. if its not a sno pro you will need a bar riser, you can go as much as 4 inches without cabel ext. you just need to release the brake line from its clamp down by the brake caliper and cut a ziptie behind the steering post cover. other than that ride it like you stole it!!!!:D:D and add BOOOOOST!!!!

W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
I have a 2 inch riser and simmons skis also a skid plate. It is a regular M8 so I don't have a boss seat, maybe later.

I bought a Cat because it seems to work great right out of the box, I got really tired of spending money all the time on my 07 XRS just to get it to run, and it never lasted more than a few rides then back to spending more money.

I have rode the BD M8 pump gas and it is a blast to ride, the RTR is gonna change the whole boost scene. Don't know if I like idea of off the shelf turbo sleds. What will we do next when everybody has one?

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Don't know why I tortued myself for so long on skidoo.[/QUOTE]

Neither do the rest of us!!! ha!!! Welcome man... great sled.. you won't regret!!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
WMD,

Suspension setup depends on your riding style and conditions. If your riding deep powder, soften the front skid shock almost all the way - then suck up the limiter strap one hole - drop the pressure in the rear float to 120-125psi - finally soften the front shocks to taste and RIDE!

If your riding more hard pack snow, firm up all the shocks to taste and let the limiter out all the way and RIDE!

P.S. GET A BOSS SEAT!

Last edited:

arcticman31

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Colorado
Great to hear that yet another ski-doo guy has joined Cat:D The ideas the others have listed are great mods for an already awesome sled. Only things I would add is put the slp pipe y-pipe and can on it with a set of cutlers adjustable wieghts and get it to spin 8000 to 8100 in the deep stuff. It will absolutly rip!! Enjoy your new sled and ride the crap out of it:D

M
Nov 27, 2007
bonney lake
WMD,

Suspension setup depends on your riding style and conditions. If your riding deep powder, soften the front skid shock almost all the way - then suck up the limiter strap one hole - drop the pressure in the rear float to 120-125psi - finally soften the front shocks to taste and RIDE!

If your riding more hard pack snow, firm up all the shocks to taste and let the limiter out all the way and RIDE!

P.S. GET A BOSS SEAT!

x2 welcome to the cat cult boys.

W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
Second day on the Cat and THIS SLED ROCKS! We found some good snow and it is a joy to ride, carves like a dream and on climbs it isn't fast but it doesn't quit, just keeps goining like a tractor.

Had to ride four miles of trail to get to the mountains, not the greatest trail sled but thats not why I bought it, once we got there it was GAME ON, look where you want to go and just go there.

Very happy with this ride, I don't want to buy a pipe and can and reclutch, tired of chasing the tuning train, I think this sled runs really good stock. And I live in SLP country (good friend is one of the owners) I'm just over the whole money pit of sleds.

I really think this is the best stock sled I have ever owned and I can't wait till tomorrow, heading to the really big country. I'll give a report when we get back.

Thanks for the support and tuning tips, Matt

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
I've been ridding cat's since the 70's and they have been good to me. I still love them, and I'm sure you will also.

First sled was a 1980 Doo 7500. Think that was how far it trenched. Use any unit; inches, feet, yards. Thank God for dirt, trees, sand, brush, your buddies hood.... The pullrope used to shoot out on the running board, fall off the side and bounch around. Too funny. Second sled was a Scorpion Sidewinder 440. Old offshoot of a Cat. Worked good. Been on em ever since. Been some growing pains with the switch to the M10. Love the handling, not crazy about the way the DD/cluthing works. Taken some time getting used to it. Have new gears to try tommorow (56/64). Guess I'm getting kinda picky in my old age. :)

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Good choice!! Ride it stock till its broke in and then slowly put the mods to her. It will be finicky as you mod it especially with the fueling. Dont let this discourage U it will pan out..........

P
Jan 28, 2009
usk
welcome. i just jioned these year also from polaris i love my m7 ya i couldnt aford a new one but its still a cat love it best handling sled i have had once i got the suspion figured out. have fun ride the piss out of it

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Love my 09 M8, made the change from Poo and have not looked back. Has anyone changed the DD oil in the chain case yet. I am planning on doing this and need to know how my oz of fluid to buy. I went to BDX web site and the biggest bottle they sell is 12oz which is odd since I also saw a post from them stating the 09's held 15oz. Could someone sheld some light on this. Thanks

Premium Features