• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is my driveshaft still good?

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
I am thinking I am going to have to wait until my bearings come, to see if they will fit tight on the clutch end, but was wondering if anybody had input on the condition of my driveshaft. I had 50 miles to go when the speedo broke and was hoping it was just the key. The bearing exploded and couldn't tell. The inside flange has an edge upward and inward that could be ground down in just one spot like the outside flange in the picture. Still usable? Any trick to get the key out? This is on a 02 700 xcsp m-10 edge 136. Any other bearings match up to the polaris ones because the dealer is out?

P1020014.jpg P1020016.jpg P1020019.jpg

Last edited:

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
So it presses on over the mushroom on the end of the shaft? Am I supposed to have the mushroom, forget what the end is supposed to look like? How does it seat if the mushroom is a larger diameter than the shaft?

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
You can't push the bearing over the end, it has a mushroom head on it because the shaft is worn that far. You could have the shaft re-machined or machined to put a sleave on it or just replace the shaft.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Thanks for the replies. How do they machine it? , weld it then recut it to the right diameter? For a sleeve, I assume they weld a sleeve the right diameter on and then the bearing goes on the sleeve? The groove is pretty deep must of been rubbing before the speedo quit working.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Thanks for the replies. How do they machine it? , weld it then recut it to the right diameter? Or machine it level and then find a bearing that works with the shaft and flange? I assume they weld a sleeve the right diameter and then the bearing goes on the sleeve? The groove is pretty deep must of been rubbing before the speedo quit working.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
I rebuild these all the time. The shaft is welded oversize then recut to the correct diameter to press the bearing on. You may be able to find a small machine shop in your area to do this. It's a lot cheaper than a new shaft.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Great that is what I wanted to hear! How much does that usually cost to get machined? How far does the bearing just sit on the shaft and is there something else that holds it on besides the flanges?

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Great that is what I wanted to hear! How much does that usually cost to get machined? How far does the bearing just sit on the shaft and is there something else that holds it on besides the flanges?

Most I've done wind up being about 1/4-1/3 the price of a new shaft. It depends on how much work is required to repair. The bearing sits flush with the end of the shaft and is held on by a tight fit. Machining the correct diameter is important.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
Is it fairly easy for the machine shop to get that square and true enough? I've also been told if you do have to get a different shaft you pretty much have to get new drivers because the old ones are hard to get off?

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Generally a new shaft comes with drivers and a new bearing anyway but the old can be pressed off and replaced. If the center hole where the speedo insert goes is still good the shaft will be true. The shaft will be held between 2 centers using the holes in the ends. Most ones I do I take a light cut on the drivers to true them up as they aren't always great. A repaired shaft is great compared to the $300ish for a new one.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
I appreciate all the help compfusion. I learned something new. I am going to check the machine shops around here. Thats going to be the best option for me. Do you know a good place to get replacement bearings for the 02 edge and what size or number to look for?

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
I just use the Polaris bearing. I'm sure you can find a smaller machine shop to do that work. I know around here the bigger shops don't always have welders available.

Premium Features