• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installed BDX intake, M1000 now runs terrible...

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
...on the bottom. Do I need a Boondocker box or did I do something wrong? I installed an LED tail light at the same time and have heard that if your tail light burns out your powervalves don't work properly. Maybe the led doesn't have enough resistance?

Stock 08 M1000 with an SLP can. 0-2500 feet. 30-35 degrees today. (dealer reflashed it a few weeks ago and it ran great till today, it also ran great before the reflash.)

the sled will run bad if you have a shortcut in the tail light.. or in any light for that matter.. check the circuit on the CCU (the other stupid box under the hood :) )

if your tail light is ok, reinstall the original air box and see if it helps.

S
Nov 30, 2007
The Last Frontier
what are your symptoms first of alll. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of guesses. What exacty does it do, fall on its face,sputter,boooooggggg, under load or on the run stand or both.

Here's a guess, new airbox , (considering its not an electrical issue) you will have more low end throttle response and power if the new box is really adding more air., if it falls on its face , goes silent or dies when you stick it then its a lean issue add fuel to the propper LOAD range on the BD box.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
This may be a dumb question but did you reinstall the airbox sensor from the old air box into the new black boxx and make sure it was hooked up properly? I put this airbox on my sled and I did not have to change any of my BD settings.

I doubt you are really getting more air into the engine over the stock airbox unless on a deep snow day. The primary goal of this airbox is to save weight and keep the sled from bogging in the deep snow and allow for sufficient airflow when the vents are clogged.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
...on the bottom. Do I need a Boondocker box or did I do something wrong? I installed an LED tail light at the same time and have heard that if your tail light burns out your powervalves don't work properly. Maybe the led doesn't have enough resistance?

Someone is feeding you a line of BS.. I installed a BDX rear bumper kit and just unpligged my taillight housing and tucked it under the snow flap.
I run NO TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT- for 4 rides now and there is not ANY issues with how the sled runs... I checked with My Cat dealer and BDX before I did this..and all agreed that the tail light draws so small voltage that the sled doesn't even know it--;)
MD

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Someone is feeding you a line of BS.. I installed a BDX rear bumper kit and just unpligged my taillight housing and tucked it under the snow flap.
I run NO TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT- for 4 rides now and there is not ANY issues with how the sled runs... I checked with My Cat dealer and BDX before I did this..and all agreed that the tail light draws so small voltage that the sled doesn't even know it--;)
MD

I think he means shorts out, not burns out. And yeah, if your tail light wires short, the sled runs like crap, pretty obvious though if the fuse is blown, if not, other problems.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
The first ride after the intake the engine would stumble at around 4500 rpms when you let off the throttle, and would stumble coming up off of engagement (around 3600). Some times a little blip was all it took to clear up, and other times you'd just about go over the bars as the engine would nearly die. Ran just fine on the top end.

Went home, put the stock intake back on and went for another ride in similar snow, elevation, and temps. Ran poor at first but better than the day before. By days end it was running just like it was before the box install.

I figure it could have been fouled plugs, bad gas, or maybe a combination of things. I'll ride it a couple more times to make sure things are running well and re-try the BDX box. One other thing to note is that I might have been getting some water in the intake. We were crossing open water within the first 5 minutes of our ride, it was however, still running poor long after the last water crossing.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
No, I ment burns out. My dealer told me that if the tail light burns out the powervalves wont work.

Well... I'd avoid his advice in the future.

I hear when the handwarmers go out the pto side runs rich...

The intake works great on our 08 & the others I know, unless you installed the air temp sensor wrong or have open holes for snow to get in, it should help not hurt.

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2006
This is the first time that I have heard of a runnability issue with this intake. I am concerned if you are water crossing as I have not talked to anybody else that has done this with this intake installed. Did you install all of the screens that they provided? Did you add the screen that you had to cut the bulkhead? Just curious.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
I installed the four belly pan screen stickers but I did nothing to seal anything else. I did not install the vent in the bulkhead. I also just found out I forgot to install the bullseyes. I also did not install the sticker screens in the hood because I had a new hood on order, but this was not a contributing factor as there was no snow anywhere the hood when I was having trouble and there never was any snow under the hood before or after the ride. (it was too heavy to penetrate the stock screens)

D
Dec 31, 2009
check your ambient pressure sensor hose (clear line from ECU) make sure its not pinched or melted... how the hell did i get on this old post... ahwell...

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would try it with the stock tail light back on. The only prob with the tail light i've ever heard is when a guy used the tail light wire for a power source on egts the extra power draw threw off the servo motor and once you used a new power source it worked fine. but if the voltage is that sensitive there is always a possibility, so reinstall the tail light to rule it out.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
fyi, I've had Y pipes alone that I wasn't 100% happy with, and airboxes alone that I wasn't 100% happy with, but the two together work VERY well.

To the issue with the tail light, if the FUSE burns out the sled will run poorly, but not the light itself. I know a bunch of people that have installed the LED lights (I've eliminated lights completely, and also run 2 different types of LED on my own sleds) and never heard of an issue unless you happened to create a rub where the wire goes back to the light, which seems to be relatively common.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway

Stock 08 M1000 with an SLP can. 0-2500 feet. 30-35 degrees today. (dealer reflashed it a few weeks ago and it ran great till today, it also ran great before the reflash.)

I burned the fuse last weekend. The powervalves will be closed all the time and the sled is working 100% as before up to 6500rpm where the valves begin to open. At wot the sled did not work vell when the fuse was gone...The fuse is at the CCU and takes 1 min to change..

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
I agree i took my taillight off right after i got my sled and never seen any differance! Actually did it on three 1000 and they all have bdx intakes and they work great id say you got water in your airbox or something if you had hooked the sensor up wrong you should have had a check engine code.

Premium Features