• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fried '05 M7 ECU

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Here's what I have;
'05 M7 LE (square ECU with '06 map)
RKT M7-8 kit
RKT head, sea level domes (running from 0-3000 ft)
Boondocker box

After experiencing an intermittant electrical problem earlier this season, I finally figured out that my boondocker box was causing my sled to die randomly. I unhooked the box, and problem solved. I called up boondockers and sent them my box to be gone through and updated with the latest version of software at the same time. In the mean time I run my sled without a boony box keeping an eye on my EGT's and it runs fine for almost 200 miles.

A couple weeks later I get the box back and re-install it on my sled. First ride out, I don't get 100 yard from the parking lot, I lose spark. Thinking its the boony box again, I unhook the box and STILL no spark. Frustrated, the rest of my group goes riding while I sit in the truck for most of the day thinking what caused this. When my friends get back, I swap out the circle ecu off my friend's '06 M7 with mine (square ecu with '06 map) to check for spark. Presto! I have spark.

Anybody else fry their ECU and ever figure out what caused it? Does the boony box have anything to do with it? I double checked my install of the box and it matches the instructions...

Can ECU's be repaired? Does anybody have a used ECU for sale?

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
I have seen a couple of ECUs go bad due to the voltage regulator going out. Do you still have all your lights? Have you blown a belt lately? Check you connections, but if you don't have lights, your regulator has gone bad.

As for fixing it, sorry to say, but you are S.O.L.

DTR

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
My brothers 06 M7 fried an ECU when a wire going to the power valve servo motor grounded out. I would check the wiring harness over before I put new ECU on. It took a long time to find the short it was very small and easily over looked. There are a few m7/crossfire7 ECU's on ebay right now with the square.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I have seen a couple of ECUs go bad due to the voltage regulator going out. Do you still have all your lights? Have you blown a belt lately? Check you connections, but if you don't have lights, your regulator has gone bad.

As for fixing it, sorry to say, but you are S.O.L.

DTR

I actually just put a new voltage regulator on BEFORE this happened, before I realized it was the boondocker box causing my sled to die. Last ride, I know I had all my guages and I thought my lights. However, I DID blow a belt on the last ride. What effect does blowing a belt have?

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Freid ECU

Your story is almost word for word of what happened to my 05 m7 this year. Mine is stock other than a speedwerks Y pipe and Thing can. The sled started fine last august when I started to get it ready. Then it started to take more and more pulls to start. Then eventually it would not start and had no spark. Dealer said the ECU was fried. (square ECU) A new one is $1300:eek: Found used ones for $450 to $600 but was always one phone call short. Dealer never did find out why it fried. Chech the whole wiring harness but didnt fint anything. I was running a after market fuel controller but stopped running it a year before it fried. I did end up getting a new one for a great price and the sled has ran great ever since.:):D I'm just nervous as hell cause we never did find a short or anything to make it go out. Seems to be quite a few 05 ECU frying this year.

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
Your story is almost word for word of what happened to my 05 m7 this year. Mine is stock other than a speedwerks Y pipe and Thing can. The sled started fine last august when I started to get it ready. Then it started to take more and more pulls to start. Then eventually it would not start and had no spark. Dealer said the ECU was fried. (square ECU) A new one is $1300:eek: Found used ones for $450 to $600 but was always one phone call short. Dealer never did find out why it fried. Chech the whole wiring harness but didnt fint anything. I was running a after market fuel controller but stopped running it a year before it fried. I did end up getting a new one for a great price and the sled has ran great ever since.:):D I'm just nervous as hell cause we never did find a short or anything to make it go out. Seems to be quite a few 05 ECU frying this year.

I hear ya Slednoggin, replacing the ECU is the easy part. Finding out something that DEFINATELY caused it to burn out, now that's another story. It makes a guy a little hesitant just to throw another expensive computer on there.
However, I do have a couple theories on mine.
When I was in the process of installing my boony box again, I pulled the servo motor to route my boony box leads behind it.

1. I may have pinched some wires when I remounted the servomotor. I need to investigate this evening.

2. Also, I noticed I had a spot worn through the insulation on the hot wire going to my Digitron which was probably the reason my EGT's were acting wierd and shutting off. I taped up the spot that was grounding against the servomotor bracket before the ECU crapped out on me but I wonder if the damage was already done to the ECU.

3. Since my boony box was causing my sled to die before I had it repaired, I wonder if that may have caused some lingering damage to my ECU as well...

4. Maybe its a combination of all the above.

Good news is, I found a used ECU for $350 here on the forum and I hope to be back in business for this weekend.

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
I actually just put a new voltage regulator on BEFORE this happened, before I realized it was the boondocker box causing my sled to die. Last ride, I know I had all my guages and I thought my lights. However, I DID blow a belt on the last ride. What effect does blowing a belt have?

Blowing the belt may have broken, nicked or partially unplugged the regulator. I had a belt blow, catch my wires and also nick my water line. Just something to look at.

DTR

Premium Features