• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust valve cables keep coming off.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
('06 M7) So I cleaned my exhaust valves and adjusted the cables to 1.350 like the book says. Now they keep coming off of the servo motor after around 30 miles. Has anyone else fought this before?

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Yep everyone that has owned a 06 M7 ;) Tighten the cables tighter than factory specs. I can't remember what we were doing, just make sure they are the same. It has worked on 2 different ones that I know of. When I find out the specs I will let you know.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Hmm, never happened to my 06 M7, and I cleaned them several times, is the little keeper still there, its a little spring steel clip

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Ya the clip is there but that holds the cable housing from sliding out the bottom of there holder. My cable ends come right off the servo pully.

Tighter than the specs huh? How much tighter? Thanks

T
Had this problem on my 06 also. does the round block that the cables ride in move in and out on the shaft???? Mine was loose on the shaft so the potentiol meter could not tell for sure how much rotation the block had made so it would shake back and forth throwing the cables. you have to take the motor apart and tighten the set screw from the end with the rubber plug in it. Not sure if this is common but what I found...Garry

M
Dec 4, 2007
I have a 06 m7 and I have had a ton of problems with my outside cable on the servo wheel coming off and I tightened the cables tighter then factory specs and it still came off and I noticed last time the cable stays curved the same as the servo whel even when its off so I turned the cable around and put it back on bending the other way and it hasnt came off again. I think the cable is just shot. Time for new cables

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The cable should stay down in the groove of the drum even with the bend memory. Either the cable is fraying at one end or the other, or possibly in the cable housing. If not that, the valves are gummy or the return spring is weak.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
We have had a few m7's as well as my f7 with the same issue.
The newer sleds have a clip that goes over the cable's and keeps them from coming off.
My brother bought a couple from the local dealer, although it took them some time to find the part on the fische... He said it was in a weird location on the fische... PM Mjunkie and he may know the part #.
If not, you can put a large thin washer on the back of the barrel which will not allow the cable end to come off the barell.
I would stick with cat specs as far as adjustment goes.

Premium Features