• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Estimated time to polish a tunnel

A
It always seems like a good idea when you start...but about half way through I get REALLY sick of it. Took me about 4 hours the first time I did it and it wasn't even close to as shiney as some of the guys on here.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
Here is a dragon I did for a buddy of mine...

120707_8326.jpg

120707_8327.jpg

K
Jan 22, 2009
Medicine Hat Ab
Thanks for all the input and the pictures, my cousin and i ended up spending about 5 hours on saturday polishing (well maybe 3 hours polishing with 2 hours of drinking mixed in) and turned out great. We got some 2000 grit wetdry sandpaper and went over the top back section a few times and the powerballed after that. Turned out like a mirror but i think i will have to get some 4000 grit and go over it again just to get a few more fine scrathes out of it. Sorry i forgot to take pictures but it turned out really nice. For those of you who cant understand why anyone would "waste" time polishing a tunnel, I'm addicted to snowmobiling and its summer time. Any excuse to sit, drink, and reminisce about the previous season i am up for.

O
Nov 29, 2007
Hey guys, those tunnels look sick! Just curious what you guys do to them? I know most powerball there's but any other tricks or materials u guys use? Thanks.

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
i just did my streetbike frame and it was coated. the last steps for me, and those relevant to sleds, were 1000 wet, 1500 wet, 2000 wet (all with a little dish soap). then wet steel wool. 0 gauge, 00, and finally 0000 (w/soap) i used blue magic. the frame is aluminum also. buying a sled this winter:beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I did mine last year and I will probably do it again this year but its a reall pain in the Azz. I started off with a powerball and found out that it was taking entirely too long so I bought an arbor for my grinder a couple buffing wheels and some buffing compound. The grinder is the way to go it gets the aluminum hot which is the key to polishing. If your going to do it though plan on lots of work and do it outside because you will have buffing compound everywhere. Here are some pics of mine in really poor light, it turned out ok. I am hoping that it goes a little easier this year.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Hey guys, those tunnels look sick! Just curious what you guys do to them? I know most powerball there's but any other tricks or materials u guys use? Thanks.

Visit a shop that deals with big truck parts/accessories... The better ones will sell everything you need.... To do the best possible job you will need 3 compounds and an appropriate buffing wheel (and good size angle grinder) for each. The stuff I use is brown (first cut) green (second cut) and white (final polish) And no, you don't need 3 grinders. :p I just happen to have lots and hate changing buffing wheels constantly.... Don't cheap out on the buffing wheels!
Be prepared to have any exposed skin dyed black from the aluminum oxide created while polishing..... but it wears off in a week or so... :mad:
Do your polishing outside if at all possible to keep the mess to a minimum and take advantage of the better lighting.
After the initial polishing the maintenance is fairly quick; a half hour by hand with some Mother's polish will have things gleaming again.:)

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
there is some serious insanity goin on in this thread,:eek: just add a few more stickers instant hp boost, gas, oil and go:D:beer;:cool:

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
clear coat

this might be a dumb question but does anyone ever clear coat the tunnel after they get it all polished up to keep it shining? i've heard some other guys doing it but never heard if it works

Premium Features