• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Estimated time to polish a tunnel

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
It depends on how shinny you want it. i can get mine fairly shinny with the powerball in 5 hours. but if you want it like a mirror i take a high speed grinder with a buffing wheel to it then i go over that with the powerball and finaly i go over it a final time by hand getting all the little parts you cant get with power tools. that takes about 10 hours but it looks realy nice when im done.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
the initial polish is the killer, you can litteraly spend hours! i wash, wax, polish my sled after every weekends ride with the powerball and the tight spots by hand. the upkeep is only about 30 minutes...

000_0249.jpg

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i keep mine to a mirror finish because i'm usually late and need to put my makeup on up on the mountain;) saves weight from having to carry a mirror!!! big hoe is right fastlane nosno's and they NEVER build snow!!! i was told by a cousin of a friend who knows a guy that you were supposed to gain at least 30 hp, go figure...

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
i keep mine to a mirror finish because i'm usually late and need to put my makeup on up on the mountain;) saves weight from having to carry a mirror!!! big hoe is right fastlane nosno's and they NEVER build snow!!! i was told by a cousin of a friend who knows a guy that you were supposed to gain at least 30 hp, go figure...

Those look great guys !

As a practical question, does polishing effect the amount of snow that sticks/builds up ?

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
i guess i could see the point for show sleds but it seams like a lot of work for just looks that would get beat up in my case. im hard on all my stuff and if it does not affect performance i usually do not mess with it.
currently my 09 sled has a cracked side panel, beat up skis, cracked windshield i cut down and my tunnel actually has a lot of scratches from me scrapping out ice because im to lazy to take my sled off the back of the truck and put it in the garage for the night when im riding the next day.
bravo anyways im sure you get more resale out of your sleds

A
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
im hard on all my stuff and if it does not affect performance i usually do not mess with it.
currently my 09 sled has a cracked side panel, beat up skis, cracked windshield i cut down and my tunnel actually has a lot of scratches.
bravo anyways im sure you get more resale out of your sleds

lol, most people on this forum are hard on their sleds. I just don't let my toys get clapped out, I tent to replace broken parts. I have a pile of semi-usable broken parts in the garage....lol

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Yikes, those are good looking tunnels.
I spend about 2 hrs on mine with a powerball, and hand job and it is good enough. Nothing like those, but looks nice enough to call it polished. I do the slide rails as well.
Dads got the nightfire with black tunnel and black rails, I polished the triangle heat shield that protects the wires from the pipe on the steering post for him. He thinks I'm a polishing fool.

Here's the polish job after riding all season, still looks good but needs another 2 hrs to detail it. Once my turbo sled gets here, I have a feeling this pony will be the sled that only comes out of the trailer at the end of the season for a quick wash/lube.

3639278923_0e76eb49ef.jpg

Last edited:

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
I got 50 HP with this polish job, it was a 2 lortab job...

110107_7828.jpg

110107_7817.jpg

110107_7819.jpg

Here's another one I did...

Before
CLP_7731.jpg

After
CLP_7745.jpg

CLP_7759.jpg

Holy crap i want to know your secrets! i thought mine was shinny but yours tripples mine! WOW!!!! its just simply stunning! Wana trade tunnels?

I feel like an idiot but whats a 2 lortab job?

I got 50 HP with this polish job, it was a 2 lortab job...

110107_7828.jpg

110107_7817.jpg

110107_7819.jpg

Here's another one I did...

Before
CLP_7731.jpg

After
CLP_7745.jpg

CLP_7759.jpg

Those almost look too nice to ride. Great job.

Mine looked nowhere near that nice, but still a big improvement over the way it looked prior to work. I think I spent about 2 hours with Powerball and maybe twice that hand polishing.

Premium Features