• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does anyone know what it takes to

W
Feb 19, 2008
Does anyone know what it takes to... (m7 related)

Put a brand new cat M8 crate motor into a 2005 m7 Chassis? My speedwerx 800 blew up for the third time and I'm tired of it. If anyone know's if it's possible and what it takes to swap a new cat motor in I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited:

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
m-8 swap

need to add a mtr mount on the bulkhead
coolant lines are close
ecu and ccu complete wiring harness
speedo is different
better off selling what u have and getting a complete one

M

M9onNOS

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2007
Put a D&D 900 in it! I have had one in my 06 since new and have never had any problems!!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
H20toys on here put a turbo 1000 in an 06 M chassis. Its not a drop in and go deal though.

What altitude are you running at with your SW 800 bb? Is it the ECU programming? They are a bit lean below 5K feet and know of a few that squeeked running around that elevation.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131846

Last edited:
W
Feb 19, 2008
H20toys on here put a 1000 in an 05 M chassis. Its not a drop in and go deal though.

What altitude are you running at with your SW 800 bb? Is it the ECU programming? They are a bit lean below 5K feet and know of a few that squeeked running around that elevation.

I was around 2000 feet when it melted down. I bought this sled from my buddy who's had the speedwerx motor melt down twice before. They put in another SW 800 before I bought it. It doesn't have any ECU programming to my knowledge. Just a boondocker box. I've got dual Koso EGT's on it and neither cylinder has seen over 1200 degrees since I bought it. Sled ran super strong and well all up until I started it up yesterday after a bit of road riding and it sounded like a lawn mower...

W
Feb 19, 2008
I Have an M7 M8 top end if interested. It is an M7 bored to M8 and M8 pistons and a RKT head should be very sound and work good. What do you keep blowing up?

I don't actually know what's blown on the motor. This is the first time it's gone on me. I'll have to take it apart and find out. I don't even know what kit it has exactly. I know that the head says speewerx on it but I don't know if it's got new jugs or if it's bored or what. I'll find out from the guy I got it from.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You should not be having trouble with it as long as you have it tuned for your use. If it has a timing key and high comp heads you will need some race fuel in there to cool the burn down. Never buy a mod engine unless you know exactly what has been done to it. It won't take you long to pull the head and jugs and see what you have going on. When you have the head off, pull the domes out and see what the comp ratio is. Thats a good engine but it needs the proper set-up.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I'd get an O2 sensor and check that against your EGTs. For what it costs to rebuild, you could probably have paid for the O2 gauge and "maybe" been farther ahead.

Man, to me that sounds like a bad omen...burned down twice, friend sold it to you, burned down again....Knowing what you got into, I'd be giving my "friend" a whole pile of sh!t just to bust his ballz some!!

W
Feb 19, 2008
Yeah my buddy feels pretty bad about it. I'm gonna tear the motor down tonight with another friend who's had a big bore M7 burn down a few times on him so we'll see what's going on in there.

W
Feb 19, 2008
Here's the damage

cylinder011024x768.jpg

cylinder021024x768.jpg

piston011024x768.jpg

piston021024x768.jpg

piston031024x768.jpg

I talked to Eric and Dennis at racinstation today. Sounds like they're gonna be able to get the jug fixed and set me up with a new piston. Anyone have any ideas what would have caused this failure?

W
Feb 19, 2008
Why is that powervalve sticking so far into the cylinder? Looks like it broke off and slammed into the piston. That's nasty!!!!

That's what I was thinking happened. But a bunch of people have told me that it's not possible for the powervalve to hit the piston. I don't know what to believe...

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
If you loosed the powervalve by your self (meaning it didn't hit piston and is not the reason) my quess is ring stopper has sank into piston. This allows ring to flip around and ring end hit into exhaust? Too many miles with pistons?

W
Feb 19, 2008
If you loosed the powervalve by your self (meaning it didn't hit piston and is not the reason) my quess is ring stopper has sank into piston. This allows ring to flip around and ring end hit into exhaust? Too many miles with pistons?

Both ring stoppers are intact. The top stopper does have a flat side to it now but it still sticks down into the ring land. It looks like it still sticks in there far enough to keep the ring from spinning.

Premium Features