• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do the MDS weights really work that good?

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
Like the title says?

Using them on a 09 M8 with SKP pipe kit, SLP intake, oil delete 0-3000' MAX!

I have 73g cat weights, 77g cat weights, 70 to 80g cutler IT weights set at 75.4g. Also have H5 alloy 140/335 primary spring. Stock cat primary spring.

Secondary has shift assist with all black shims in it along with a 40/36 helix. Also have stock 36 helix and a 40/44 stock low elevation helix for the crossfire.

I don't want to throw away any more money but are these weights really that good.

I love the way this machine runs right now. The SLP intake and oil delete are new for this year so I'll see how that works for me.

Also if I do the MDS weights and buy a new cat once I see how the turn out in the next year or so can I use these weights with the new cat?

Thanks a bunch!

Come on snow!! :)

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
Have read all of the write up's and forum topics here and on many more forums.

Wyoboy should have some good to say about these!

I have the itch

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Have read all of the write up's and forum topics here and on many more forums.

Wyoboy should have some good to say about these!

I have the itch

I've asked the same question and I get the same answer....yes they work good. I still have not seen anyone say they tried cat weights and mds weights on the same day, on the same hill and how much track speed they had with each. I don't care much what a dyno says or someone saying I can tell the difference, I want them to tell me what the difference actually is! Will I see 4mph more track speed?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Do a search for "MDS Weights" in the search function and there is a ton of info on these weights.

Do they work better than stock weights? Yes. Do they work very well with the stock secondary? Yes again. Are they better than Cutler or MTX weights? Perhaps

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Like the title says?

Using them on a 09 M8 with SKP pipe kit, SLP intake, oil delete 0-3000' MAX!

I have 73g cat weights, 77g cat weights, 70 to 80g cutler IT weights set at 75.4g. Also have H5 alloy 140/335 primary spring. Stock cat primary spring.

Secondary has shift assist with all black shims in it along with a 40/36 helix. Also have stock 36 helix and a 40/44 stock low elevation helix for the crossfire.

I don't want to throw away any more money but are these weights really that good.

I love the way this machine runs right now. The SLP intake and oil delete are new for this year so I'll see how that works for me.

Also if I do the MDS weights and buy a new cat once I see how the turn out in the next year or so can I use these weights with the new cat?

Thanks a bunch!

Come on snow!! :)

Money back guaranty! who is throwing money away. The only way they wont perform better is if you have an underlying problems.

No one can say just exactly what you will gain unless they can go throw the whole sled from motor mounts to clutch bushing and everything else to make sure everything is right and all sleds preform different.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I will give my experiance. Last year my brother and I had the exact same 09 1000's that both ran really well. We each had the same mods, y pipe, cans clutching, etc. The sleds ran dead even day in and day out, there wasn't a sled legnth between them. About in March we bought a set up the weights and put them in one of the sleds. We used R/S recomended set up and headed up to ride. The sled that we put the weights in "felt" stronger but when we lined the sleds up his sled with the MDS weights got spanked by 3-4sled lengths racing up a hard packed hill. We tried it in the flat same result, we tried it in a powder climb same result. We couldn't believe it because the sled with the MDS weights really did "feel" stronger. We swapped clutches for the next ride with the same results. The seld with the MDS weights felt good but didn't perform. I have no idea what our track speed was or what the dyno would show, but we fought with the MDS weights for a month doing everything MDS and Racingstaion suggested and never got either of the sleds to run as well as the other one without the MDS weights in it. After a month we sent the weights back and then 2 months later we finally got our money back after 4-5 calls.

I'm glad that people get great results with them. I wish I would have, and with a money back guarantee I wasn't out anything but some tuning time on the hill. I really believe that if you have a well set up sled they aren't going to make a world of difference, in fact they might hurt you. I always have a baseline sled to run against when making changes so I know what results I am really getting. JMHO

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Let me tell you my experience on my 09 m1000, (look at my sig and you will see the mods) I put the mds weights in and lost performance, rpm, blew belts etc..., but they still made sense to me so I kept going, after putting enough motor mounts in to hold the motor still, a new primary and a full rebuild on the secondary it works way better. When I got the new clutch (old one ate a weight and roller) I put the AC weights in, not happy. So I modded the slp MTX weights to fit without shimming, very easy if you know what you are doing and I was happy again. Got the new mds weight to replace my messed up one and put them in and gained more with a steadier rpm. The slp mtx weights are on the same line as the mds weights, mds just took it a little farther and made them better with adjust-ability.

This is why I say the mds weights will show you the problems, they are built to grab the belt and reduce slippage but without overpowering the motor and allow proper backshift. When you load the m1000 like that it twisted the motor back and locks up the clutching, in turns creates heat to the point it will melt a glove in an instant, eventually wears out the clutches, motor mounts and blows belts. So if you want performance you are going to have to make sure everything is right. Some lighter guys may not need it but with my weight, height and ability to put a major load on the track I had serious backshift problems from motor mounts unlike anyone else with the same setup.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
To be honest, the jury is still out for me. I think the weights have great potential and I have seen glimpses of it in my rides but, I have also been frustrated by them as well so far.

I am finding it tough to convince myself to keep stuggling in an attempt to get the MDS weights to work like everyone says they will, when I know my SLP MTX weights and secondary setup work phenominally.

I will give them a couple more tries before I make a final ruling.

Last edited:
F
Apr 5, 2009
not to hyjack but i have a set of these weights that i tried on my 08 crossfire 800 that i will be looking to sell when i go home on my R&R in a week. let me know if your interested. very little used on them maybe 100 mountain miles thats being generous on the miles.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
not to hyjack but i have a set of these weights that i tried on my 08 crossfire 800 that i will be looking to sell when i go home on my R&R in a week. let me know if your interested. very little used on them maybe 100 mountain miles thats being generous on the miles.

Why not just return them for a full refund?

F
Apr 5, 2009
Why not just return them for a full refund?

the trip that i used them on in had been in contact with the guy and got a couple ways to set them up for what i wanted and i went through the 3 ways i think it was and just couldnt get the sled to hold the 8k like it was sapose to. it would do 77-7800 rpm no problem. so i chnaged them back to stock 68 cat weights. and was doing 7800-7900. i just didnt wan to keep messing with them on that trip and i dont get out there enough to really dial them in.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Its not rocket science. The engine will pull a maximum amount of weight at various rpm and load conditions. If your sled runs the correct RPM in a variety of conditions your pretty close. Not to say improvements can't be made in certain situations, but big improvments, i.e 4mph track speed increase, is unrealistic. My 2 cents....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
When things are working right I have seen lower temps and higher track speeds, on my turbo I changed the weights on the hill, same day same hill and gained 9mph and cooler temps from a already good setup. I have proven it and also seen what a hassle it is when things arent working right and the mds weights bring out the worst. If you 1000miles on a secondary it prob needs rebuilt. along with new motor mounts unless you install extra mounts. There is a reason cat fixed the motor mount issue.

Any one in my area, if your not seeing the results get a hold of me and I will do my best to help. I don't get anything out of it other than proving to myself what I have believed in and proven for myself.

these weights react totally different and you can not clutch them like some would think.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
I really like the way these weights feel off the line and the backshift on them. I run exactly what Steve told me to run and have had no issues. As wyo stated. They really hook up and if you have other issues I could see where it would throw you off. Every sled runs differently and some have different mods. keep in mind these weights are adjustable so you can really dial the sled in. I am very happy with them.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just a comment, if you buy weights don't wait a year to return them if you decide you don't like them, I could see a wait if you got them at the end of the season or something but waiting a year can make it hard to get a refund. Just don't screw up a good thing with the guaranty. or use them all winter and then return them, that seems a little shady, ie its an amazing offer so keep it real. please

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
One other thing to keep in mind, they are adjustable. How many times have you got your sled dialed in and than changed mods and had to change weights. Or went rideing in an area that you needed more or less weight. You only have to buy one set and your done. I dont know if they are the golden ticket but they work for me.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
That was my point also. I had 07 m1000 that I did mods to with the four tower and I had so much money into weights trying to get it dialed in the adjustables seemed like a deal of the century. Racin station or Steve have never failed to help, answer their phone or call a guy back. The service is great and they have improved my clutching.

Premium Features