• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling the boost.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Rode a 22 850 155RMK last week with a Silber turbo and they took a standard length matryx and cut it about 1-2in shorter than a slash. So it has the longer cooler in it than the slash tunnel I'm told and they did not have to trim it. Anyway, we also had 2 other turbos with, one was another Silber and the other a Boondocker both on Axis chassis. Those two were running pretty much the standard 150-180 for temps with scratchers down running the trails to get into the deep and in the deep they were maybe 125-160 for temps. The new one I was riding was running 108-125 with the scratchers down on the trail and in the deep it stayer 108-110. Yeah, holy sh$t is what I thought too.

Anyway, with the my 23 Boost Slash 165 inbound yet I started looking for ways to maybe get it running a little cooler. Looked at the Boondocker Belly cooler, Too many stumps where I ride. Also saw where some are porting the exhaust out the top using a tractor elbow and a Boondocker port and cover and rerouting the TMP sensor to that location. Also Saw the sliding snow flap for the rear.

What kind of running temps on/off trail are guys using these getting? Is it realistic in expecting to get down to the temps that turbo I was riding last weekend without having to break the bank? What's the best bang for the buck? After riding that I now wish I had known and ordered a non slash and trimmed the tunnel the same way. I doubt I'll sell the sled either way but longevity and not constantly having to worry about temps would be pretty cool.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Lowest I’ve seen with my 22 boost is 38c( 100F ) when in 12-18” fresh powder. On the trail with scratchers down it runs between 50-70c ( 122-158F ).
My turbo axys ran pretty much the same.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Mines a 22 155 boost pretty consistent 130's on the trail with decent loose snow on it. I'm thinking if I get on a hard packed trail it's going to be a challenge to keep it cool. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 165 sleds have a longer cooler?

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
First ride this weekend on my 2023 boost pro RMK slash. MFer was showing the red temp guard constantly. Plenty of snow. My buddies 9R slash was overheating too. The 3 other regular tunnel rmk’s in our group, no temp problems whatsoever. The slash tunnel definitely has a cooling disadvantage. It will not tolerate slow and go trail riding. Be ready to constantly be in the ditch beside the trail if you’re riding with new and or slower riders. I’m pretty disappointed honestly that my new $24,500 sled overheats so easily. My 2020 never overheated ever.

B
Feb 17, 2019
My sled is a 2022 Boost 165” slash. Add a second set of Holtz scratchers so you’re running 4 total scratchers. I’ve been doing this for years. If I need more snow getting thrown up in the tunnel I’ll screw on 4 Cable clamps and that kicks up a ridiculous amount of snow into the tunnel even with the slash no flap design.
c5cd5512eeeda3a96b0418faf999ce54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polarisdragonslayer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2008
Priest Lake, ID
This shows the mounting location for the extra holtz scratcher to the rear of the stock scratcher’s

629aa352cc144b203fe18f41950b3cb3.jpg

Did the same thing last week to my 22 Turbo Boost 165 MS. I added holtz scratchers also with the stock scratchers and what a difference running dual scratchers. My wife rides a 2013 Pro RMK 155 and has always ran with Holtz scratchers and now we run almost identical down the trail at 125-135.

B
Feb 17, 2019
Nice. And if you add the cable clamps it makes a full on blizzard of snow that gets kicked up into the tunnel / coolers. Simple fix to cool these sleds.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Do they need 2 sets or just moved or different ones. Stock scratchers throw everything behind coolers on slash models is the biggest problem i see

B
Feb 17, 2019
Do they need 2 sets or just moved or different ones. Stock scratchers throw everything behind coolers on slash models is the biggest problem i see

A total of 4 scratchers (see photos above). The extra scratchers throw out so much snow that a lot of it hits the track before flying out the back and then gets redirected back up into the tunnel. Adding the cable clamps in the photo above rips up even more snow. Bottom line is it’s worked great on my axys sleds and works on my Boost 165 Slash without any snow flap.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
A total of 4 scratchers (see photos above). The extra scratchers throw out so much snow that a lot of it hits the track before flying out the back and then gets redirected back up into the tunnel. Adding the cable clamps in the photo above rips up even more snow. Bottom line is it’s worked great on my axys sleds and works on my Boost 165 Slash without any snow flap.

Would the ski doo style reversible scratchers work better? Their contact point with the snow is about a foot further forward than the Holz/Polaris style ones so should have a better chance to get snow to the coolers.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Engine Ice fellows and a snow flap, or heat exchanger replacement….. read the directions on that deal…

Premium Features