• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

considering a skidoo/lynx

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I am considering snowchecking a doo or Lynx next year. I have been on polaris the last 11 years, skidoo 8 years before that. I have loved my 22 khaos boost 155", but very frustrated with Polaris and still not having my 23 snocheck and waited last year until February. I know that every manufacture, including skidoo and lynx, has had issues, but doesn't mean I have to keep supporting them, plus might be fun to change it up.

What sled - skidoo or lynx, will get me a ride most similar to the poo as far as side hilling in steep terrian? I know I want the turbo engine. Concerned with the stated wieght of the Lynx, but I like the thought of a 15" track. Just starting to research it a bit and thought I'd ask for info here. I figure someone here as compared them all.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am considering snowchecking a doo or Lynx next year. I have been on polaris the last 11 years, skidoo 8 years before that. I have loved my 22 khaos boost 155", but very frustrated with Polaris and still not having my 23 snocheck and waited last year until February. I know that every manufacture, including skidoo and lynx, has had issues, but doesn't mean I have to keep supporting them, plus might be fun to change it up.

What sled - skidoo or lynx, will get me a ride most similar to the poo as far as side hilling in steep terrian? I know I want the turbo engine. Just starting to research it a bit and thought I'd ask for info here.
I haven't rode an expert but have re shredder turbo. Can't really say not riding one of them. I'm going to say ds shredder because 15 wide track and you could narrow it up to 34 if not happy. My re would have to get new front shocks. Ride is better than anything you've rode. Track is better. Motor is awesome. Handwarmer are better. I might even say running boards are better. Set up better to pack gas. Those are the big thing over my kaos boost. Not going to lie. It felt heavy on steep sidehill in trees. Some tracked up and rutted out. Skis set full narrow. Trying different skis going to 1 on limiter. They come in 2. That should do it or i will put a 34 on it. Did not notice the auto steer or what i call the death wobble. I did have swaybar unhooked. Hoping i get it where i like it because suspension and motor are flat out awesome

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So far my impression - Neither.

I'm coming off a 2018 Axys, and while I know that the Lynx I bought this year is capable, much more capable, than I'm capable of riding it right now, I'm really questioning if this chassis will ever stick a side hill the same way the Polaris sleds will. The Matryx sleds are even better than the Axys sleds were in that regard.

Hopefully, once I get the suspension dialed in correctly on the Lynx, the "all or nothing" feel that it has to me right now will go away. If not ... well .... you never know, I may be trading it off on a Matryx next season.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Closest is the Expert package skidoo. I haven’t been on my buddies Lynx yet due to late delivery but others who have been on both said expert is more precise. Add aftermarket spindles and skis takes away a lot of skidoos bar feed back, giving you a great sled. If all you ride is nasty tech terrain the Polaris still is a better handling sled with a cool gauge option but skidoo wins every other category.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Sorry if this is hi-jacking your thread, but are there major differences in the turbo sleds 2023 vs the 2021 or 2022? Lynx only has a turbo option on 2023 models right?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Lynx only comes with factory turbo if it’s a 23.
Skidoo can come factory turbo starting 20.5. For the 2023 model year they got a HP bump.
So 2020.5-2022 are making similar amounts of HP? I thought they've been increasing power from the 2020.5? I'm trying to decide if the 2023 is worth about $5,000 more than a 2021 with all else similar...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
So 2020.5-2022 are making similar amounts of HP? I thought they've been increasing power from the 2020.5? I'm trying to decide if the 2023 is worth about $5,000 more than a 2021 with all else similar...
I think so. Lighter, narrower, and I'm a fan of 15 wide track. Only claiming 15 hp increase but night and day difference. Had a 2020.5 and hated it.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Will be snow checking a 2024 Lynx Shredder DS, need to decide on the track as I might go with a 2.5 instead of the 3.0 and may go back to the NA 850. After having my last two sleds with the Turbo R, I may be willing to trade less weight in exchange for less power. The weight of the turbo is noticeable and the power is really overkill for 95% of the terrain I ride.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If your looking for less weight than a lynx is not the sled. ESPECIALLY a RE.

A NA summit 154 G5 is 520lbs ready to ride.
Hurting my feelings calling it heavy. What is so funny is how heavy it felt, compared to 9r, on rutted, tracked steep sidehill in trees but got it in deep snow and it felt lighter or more effortless. 9r felt like a turd. Gave turbo r all it could handle. Limit strap on 1. Easy to get behind. 9r is awesome. Just lacking that day.

D
Dec 22, 2018
Will be snow checking a 2024 Lynx Shredder DS, need to decide on the track as I might go with a 2.5 instead of the 3.0 and may go back to the NA 850. After having my last two sleds with the Turbo R, I may be willing to trade less weight in exchange for less power. The weight of the turbo is noticeable and the power is really overkill for 95% of the terrain I ride.

Lynx isnt a correct choice if you are looking for lighter manuverability. Summit is a lot less effort to ride any day, no matter if its expert or edge.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I had a 17 X. I own a 18 freeride and a 22 lynx. Yes the lynx is heavier. The 23 is a lot closer than the 22 to skidoo though. The lynx is a little more difficult to get on edge but once there it is more predictable and holds a line better which is less effort to ride. This is all the rear skid. So much better on the lynx. If you are on rough trails the Lynx is so much better than any of the other sleds which uses way less energy getting to and from the riding areas.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I actually think some of it is skis are garbage. They are big and fat all the way to the back. 8 inches out front and taper to 7 3/8. There is no sweet spot. All or nothing. Also like 2 5/8 to bottom of wear rod from bottom of ski which is insane. Just put slydogs on. Will see tomorrow. Definite wide sweet spot off concrete. In hard rutted out sidehills i had to overbalance it or i would lose it downhill and in deep snow if i rode wrong foot forward it cut in to snow while following a track. I have to can on it to straighten that out. If i rode centered up i would come out of track on downhill side. Swaybar off my contribute a little. Seems all or nothing. Some is me because I've rode it very little but i think skis are garbage. Kind of like c&a skis. Snowcross skis. Junk for mountains. Will know tomorrow.
I told my buddy that I'm running out of sh!t to buy for it and eventually you have to learn to ride it

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I’ll say this.

I’ve got practically 700 miles on my 23 Summit Expert turbo. ZERO ISSUES. Fire it up and tape the throttle open and let it rip. Flawless. Much stronger running than the 20.5-22 skidoo turbos.

My 22 turbo, 21 turbo, 20 N.A. Experts were all flawless. Zero issues with any in roughly 1000 miles on each. Just gas and oil. No belts.

For a direct out of the box package, Not Needing to touch anything they have been hard to beat.
Of coarse there are things a guy can change, but nothing truly NEEDED. At least in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I’ll say this.

I’ve got practically 700 miles on my 23 Summit Expert turbo. ZERO ISSUES. Fire it up and tape the throttle open and let it rip. Flawless. Much stronger running than the 20.5-22 skidoo turbos.

My 22 turbo, 21 turbo, 20 N.A. Experts were all flawless. Zero issues with any in roughly 1000 miles on each. Just gas and oil. No belts.

For a direct out of the box package, Not Needing to touch anything they have been hard to beat.
Of coarse there are things a guy can change, but nothing truly NEEDED. At least in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan on updating my 22 Expert to the 24 Expert. Hard to leave their motor.

Premium Features