• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts coming from polaris?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I just picked up a G5 Summit X Turbo 165. Came off a Kahos 165 NA. I figured I'd give a quick review before the newness wears off.

Overall I'm extremely impressed. I was really nervous getting this sled since my past experience with doo's has been the older xp and xm chassis. They are boat anchors. I don't think we need to discuss power other than it is linear and plenty of. Turbo has a tad bit of Lag but i think even at it's worst it has the power of my NA just way more in a second. But that is not apples to apples.

Handling: Limit strap was out all day. Very ski high happy. I thought the kahos was loose but you ride this with very gentle foot input. Side hilling did excellent but not as easy as a poo. This skis on the G5 likes to grab ruts and try to rip the bars out of your hands. I got used to it but was something to watch for. I do have to ride opposite foot forward more often than the polaris.
Suspension: The G5 is amazing on the trail surprisingly. Suspension kills it on the bumps. Less tippy than the kahos too. I'm not really sure how they pulled that off being 34 wide. But i'll take it.

My only negative is it has a check engine light every now and then. From what I've read this is normal on break in. It seems to come on around 5k rpm on the trail. Also at 6'1" i would have liked the taller riser the standard summit has.
Yours is the expert with solid suspension and non flex edge?
I'm going to try the lynx skis and see but probably putting mohawks on or might try sly dogs. Never tried those before. I've had the handlebars jerked out of my hands, a few times, on doo with their combo of easy steering and insanely deep keel.
Not sure where the lynx sits with 36 inch and 15 wide vs. Your 34 and 16 wide track. Coming of a kaos boost that was the bomb so i might put a 34 on.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I'm not disagreeing. Was just arguing for the sake of arguing.
If you get it to start your sled, you can't say it's better if you have to pull the rope. You got it so you didn't have to. I don't care how easy. It's an alternative.
If you are worried about weight you wouldn't have either because they both add weight, especially since it's sooo easy.
It has nothing to do with an analogy or feel. You don't agree, which is fine. Say it like it is.
I also never said a battery is better. You don't have to pull the rope. It's an alternative. Pick what you want.
If i had to choose I'd take shot. It's not better. It's lighter and more or less does the same thing.
Also , it’s not the weight difference holding people back. It's skill level. Let's be honest
It is not the weight difference, it is skill level nails it!! I put electric start on my poo’s now and make zero difference on where I can go, what I can do on a sled. Used to think it did?
Shot has the weight advantage and is cool technology, Polaris E Start works fine for this 66 yr old mountain rider.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
My only negative is it has a check engine light every now and then. From what I've read this is normal on break in. It seems to come on around 5k rpm

There is a re-flash to correct that check engine light.

Take it in when you can, though from what I understand other than being annoying, nothings is truly wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features