• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch slipping???

T

tonyinak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 8, 2008
Los Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Under a heavy load and high RPM's (6k or more) my track will ratchet. I've jacked up the tension (definitely tight), but thinking it may be my clutch...

Sled is a 2006 Crossfire 700 with Float skid conversion, M 141 rails, track, and DD.

I dont understand a whole lot (other than the obvious) about clutches. I currently have the orange/white primary spring with 78g weights and a green secondary spring from ODS. RPM range seems pretty good.

So, is it possible for a clutch to slip? Could be the DD, but not thinking so. I did have an issue with rail tips hitting drivers, but think that is good now.

I got a BDX lightweight driveshaft with extrovert 3.0 drivers.

Thanks!!!!

T

tonyinak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 8, 2008
Los Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Good point..

To specify, I'm talking about the belt slipping on the clutch. My guess would be the secondary or driven clutch.

The belt tension is good though, I'm just thinking about the possibility of the belt slipping (racheting) under a load.

The symptoms are that of a track slipping on the drivers sorta, but I just dont bite off on that with the track as tight as it is, and the big *** extrovert anti-slip drivers. With track hanging, I currently got 1 inch between track and rail slides at the middle of the skid.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
A belt slipping in a clutch would not feel like a track racheting. If you have "flat spotted" a belt by leaving the parking brake on or a cold moring start up and using too much throttle to try and get it moving, you will have a thump thump thump as it goes around. Try a new belt and see if it goes away. If not, You either still have a track that is racheting, a bad ddrive gear, or your drivers are still rubbing.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
The clutch can not slip, period. If it moves, it comes off. What are the symtoms?
Unless you have a leak from the gearbox to the secondary! This just happened to me this weekend. I know that is not the slip you were talking about, but just thought I would be a smartass anyway :)
Water works well to make it slip as well :)

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Side vents?

I know that at the beginning of the season i was having problems with my side vents grating snow into the clutch compartment and the belt was slipping in the clutches. Once i fixed that things have been good. So it comes down to what it feels like, belt slippage or ratcheting?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Check your suspension!!!
I have seen 3 sleds this year doing the same thing. The sleds would ratchet under hard acceleration or higher speed or any speed. They were ok if you kept a steedy slow speed (20 mph or less). We tried to tighten the chain and the tracks. But they all had broken suspensions, The front swing arm down by the rails. 2 sleds were Ski-doos and one was a Cat.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Don't run your track that tight you will snap your driveshaft in 2 pieces.

Do you have the right match for pitch on track to drivers?

Are you getting ice build up on the drivers allowing the track to climb up over the extroverts?

X
Jan 24, 2009
Eagle River
jeez T

you're still having issues with that thing?! Maybe you should've stuck with your original sled. I though my track was slipping the other day too so I tightened it...now I'm concerned it might be too tight. How can you be sure what the correct tension should be?

Last edited:
Premium Features