• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Christopher's Easter Weekend Rescue (or what not to do in a blizzard)

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
On staying warm in a survival situation:

One- always carry a candle. I keep one in my small emergency kit. It's one of those 12 hour jobbers that's about 1" dia by 4" long. You can use your shovel for a base for it, drip some wax on the shovel and then put the candle on the hot wax to hold it down, place the base in between your feet and then cover yourself with your space blanket (leave an airhole) and it will stay WARM under the blanket with that candle. One candle can also keep a snow cave quite warm. A candle is also handy to light other things on fire, as it will stay burning and not burn your fingertips as you are trying to start your fire.

Two- I agree with always having some sort of firestarting material. Vaseline soaked cotton balls, fatwood, etc. I carry an automotive flare in my pack. If all else fails, I've never seen a flare fail. It stinks, though, so I try other methods first to start a fire. I have had to use a flare before, though. I was glad I had it.

Three- if you do have emergency gear in packs, make sure everyone knows how to use it. Christopher's idea of having identical packs is great, but if he's handing them out to whoever is riding with him, they need to know how to use the gear. It never ceases to amaze me how people carry emergency gear but actually have no idea (even theoretical!) how to use it.

Four- if offered by the local university or other organization, consider taking a winter survival course. I took one through University of Alaska and it was fun, informative and contained invaluable information. Part of the course involved weekend outings where shelter could be anything but a tent. We slept in snow caves, ranger trenches, tarp shelters and even built deadfall shelters (but didn't actually sleep in those). One thing I found fascinating is that a snow shelter in winter is ALWAYS warmer than a tarp shelter or a tent, as well as quieter and more wind proof. We also learned various ways of staying warm and would brainstorm ways to use equipment we had in non-standard ways (sort of like Survivorman except that show wasn't on yet).

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Relatives of your's Christopher?

Case number: 10-29307

Type: Search and Rescue

Text: On 04/09/2010 at 2046 hours, Alaska State Troopers received a 911
call from a 14 year-old teenage boy, who reported that he was stuck on
the Deer Mountain main trail with two other teenaged boys. The boys
reported they were unable to decent the mountain in the dark in fear
that they could fall off a cliff as they had no equipment, lights, or
warm clothing. Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad responded. All three
boys were together on the main trail, approx. 2 miles up the mountain.
KVRS made contact with the boys at 2357 hours. All subjects and rescuers
made it off the mountain at 0137 hours on 4/10/10, without injury or
incident. The boys were not in need of medical attention. They were
released to their parents.

On another note, dryer lint, carpet fibers from the vacuum work well as firestarter, they lite up easily! I fill a quart sized ziploc and stick a lighter in there as well.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
wow, this definitely wins the "numbskull" award for the season!! we give this in our circle for anyone who does something way over the top...sometimes it's an intended stunt that no one else would dream of doing. Other times it's an unintended bad call on something that puts the group at risk. Either way, the group makes a big deal (praise or flogging) about doing it. If we rode together, I'd give it to you at our next ride. Since I don't know you, PM me and I'll show you the two shirt designs you can pick from!

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Tampons also work awesome!! Dip in the gas tank, they soak up lots of gas......and burn for a long time making sure your fire gets started.

People make fun of me cause I carry tampons in my pack.

I only read the first and last page so forgive me if this has been posted.

Christopher, it sounds like you need to start riding with some groups of experienced riders. You will quickly learn the easy ways to get sleds unstuck from nearly any position, and quickly learn to keep them from getting stuck.

I am a little tiny 5'4" guy and I get my sled unstuck from some deep deep trenches. I am kinda retarded and ride way too many places I shouldn't be so I have seen my share of crazy sticks that seem to be impossible to get out of.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sunridge carries those in his pack too.

I think sometimes he stirs his coffee with them...or just uses them to snack on (see below).

Sunridge3-25-08.jpg

DSC03713March2008.jpg

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Maybe next year you should sign up with Dan Adams and his "next level" riding clinics?:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mountainhorse had set up a class for my son and I to attend.
When the date came, he said the class was canceled due to very poor snow conditions.

Days later, the huge spring snows began to fall.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
OK, Here is what we had in each of our packs on Saturday.

Avalanche Probe
Avalanche saw
Backpacks
Beanies
Camera
CASH
de-fogging / de-icing wipe for goggles
Extra-Keys
Garmin Hcx530
Gloves, Lightweight Spare
Goggles, Spare
Map
Personal Locator Beacon
Shovel
batteries, lithium spare
Camelback Pack, INSULATED
Candle
Chapstick
Compass
Firestarter
Flashlight, head mounted.
Folding Saw
Hard Candy
Heat Packs, Large
Heat Packs, Small
Lighter
Mirror
Mylar Blanket, heavy duty
Mylar sleeping bag, Bivy Sack
Orange Surveyor's Tape Roll
Para Cord
Pot, to melt snow
Sierra Cup
Storm Proof Matches
Stove, esbit w/tabs
Strobe Light
Tarp
Toilet Paper
Whistle

That was all that will fit in our back packs.
This summer the sleds get tunnel bags on them, and the following items are to be added.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Bailing Wire</td> </tr></table> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Candle</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Carabiners
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Closed Cell Foam Pad, cut down to sit on.</td> </tr></table>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Duct Tape, Gorilla</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Energy Bars</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">First Aid Kit</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Flare, Arial</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Flare, Handheld/road</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Flare, Smoke</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Hose, Syphon</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Large Trash Bags, 2+</td> </tr> </tbody></table><table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Long Underwear, Spare set</td> </tr></table><table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">MRE, w/heater
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Powder Packets, Hot Chocolate, Gatoraid…</td> </tr></table>
</td> </tr></table><table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">rope, 50ft, 6-7mm OR Tubular Webbing
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 275pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="367"><col style="width: 275pt;" width="367"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 275pt;" width="367" height="20">Top Ramen Noodles</td> </tr></table>

</td> </tr></table>

Thats a great list.
This needs to be made available somewhere on the site without having to search for it!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That was the result of reading as many posts on survival supplies on SnoWest as I could find and then sorting through them and building up what I thought would be most useful.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
wow Christopher,
I havnt been reading in this section but thats a lot of posts for getting stuck on the trail. Yep you got real lucky and didnt get reamed out too bad.

One thing I didnt notice anyone mention and that i didnt see you have is a simple "Snow Bungie" they can be used by those that have lesser muscle abilities. You can use them in many ways other than what the directions call for. Using them can reserve your strength. Its amazing what you can do if you had a couple of them or three of them at once.

As far as Skidoogirl telling you that you dont ride like a girl yet...not sure what to think about that one but you probably need a tampon for sure after that.:usa2:

The young man with no shovel..Hmmmm did he forget his windshield...that would have worked as a shovel.

Get a list of phone numbers so you can call someone that might have been able to get some people together to help you....since you had cell service you could have utilized that. Save the S&R for someone that is possible hurt somewhere else. None the less..consider this a learning experiance to show you how the mountain can always kick anyones arse at any time.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have both a snobungie and a snorattler.
In the cases where I have tried to use them, neither has helped me at all.
Last time I tried the rattler, I ended up with 2 stuck sleds rather than one.
Took me 2 hours to get them unstuck from each other since there is no way short of a knife to release the tension of the rattler between the two sleds when it is pulled tight.

As for the learning experience.
Yup, bigger than life.
Many different lessons learned from this little adventure.

Premium Features