• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I made a mistake in my annual snowmobile trip

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
For the past twenty years or so, I make an annual trip for about a week to different states for snowmobiling. Have hit all the major ones, some multiple times. Island Park, McCall, Afton, Alpine, Togotee, Diamond Lake.

This year I decided to try Colorado having only ridden Buena Vista /Cottonwood Pass about 18 years ago. Chose the "Snowmobiling Capitol of Colorado " aka Grand Lake, CO.

Cool little town, cabin was a block from town. Low snow year, trees burnt from a prior fire. But, man, that place was just too damn thick with trees. You always think or expect you'll find some open areas, some rolling hills, empty bowls. Rode two days in that place and it is just packed with 12", 6" and 3" diameter trees everywhere on the hills. It might be all right for Midwesterners who enjoy trails but this western backcountry rider couldn't stretch his legs and find a place to open it up vertically. Left disappointed. Wish Snowest had more Intel on the type of terrain this place had.

At least Utah (Daniel's Pass/ Soldier Creek) and the Ruby's in Elko saved the trip. Utah truly does consistently have the BEST snow conditions. Sierra terrain with Utah snow would be the ultimate snowmobiling!

If you're planning a trip, don't assume you'll be able to find terrain you'll like to ride in, sometime it just isn't there.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Not many people know about Daniel Summit. Been riding there a lot this year, some years the snow just doesn't hit that area well.
It was great. Unloaded from their sno-park. Did the loop up to the summit, some of the best riding was coming down the mountain on the right side into the trees. Great boondocking right off the trail, combined with that Utah pow!

D
Mar 13, 2014
It was great. Unloaded from their sno-park. Did the loop up to the summit, some of the best riding was coming down the mountain on the right side into the trees. Great boondocking right off the trail, combined with that Utah pow!

Back in it can get really technical if you want also. But endless fun right off the road for sure.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Grand lake the trail ride snowmobile capital.
Wish I'd known and done some Google Earth beforehand. Still thought there'd be some zones with the goods I was looking for.

On the way to and from, the Rabbit Ears area near Steamboat looked far more promising.

Live and learn. Reason for the thread was - do your homework when traveling to a new area. It was a 1,600 mile round trip mistake.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Grand lake used to be a backcountry dream. I’ve lived in the area for most of my life and my parents used to have a house 1/2 a mile from the trail. Grand Lake was logged from the 80’s to early 2000’s make large openings and many roads. It was growing in very heavy by 2020 so they started logging again but then all the trees burnt in October. Since then it is not for backcountry riding all the snow blows away and what doesn’t get insta baked by all the black. I still go once a year and am severely disappointed every time. That was my home, where I learned to ride.

Lots of great spots in CO, Grand Lake isn’t that spot anymore.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Raymond - Sorry to hear about the lame Colorado trip. Like you said, "live and learn". Things should perk up around here with the big dumper coming in.

Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for this post. We’ve been considering Grand Lake as an option given the town/ lodging seems well situated to accommodate riders. And it appears that the local club does a great job with grooming. But we are off-trail riders as well, so if the trails don’t / won’t lead us to that, then it’s definitely a no go!

Live and learn! If you’ve never ridden The Black Hills of SD, on a good snow year, they are a blast! Haven’t made a single run there this season as snow is terrible for them. But last season we hit them six times. It was epic last season out there!

Premium Features