• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Busted crank

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I have a 2004 800 vertical escape and the crank broke last year at 2750 miles and I was not surprised because that happens to these sleds. So I sent it in to SLP and they called me back and said that the crank was junk and could not be rebuilt. So I had them put in a new Polaris crank,SLP tough boy bearing kit, line bore the cases, balance my clutch and reassemble the bottom end. Then they sent it back to me I put in a new top end and all said and done I had over $1800 invested but I did it right because I was planning on keeping the sled. Then I bought an M1000 and the RMK became my back-up sled. I had it out in Cooke City this year and a friend was riding it and it had a 144 miles on the new motor and the PTO lower rod bearing went out. I sent the bottom end back to SLP and they said it was starved for oil and all the main bearings and the MAG lower rod bearing was going also and it is going to cost me another $382 to fix it. They will not help me out because they say it was starved for oil, but yet my pistons and cylinders look good. I have always been real happy with SLP but this part makes me wonder. I have read alot of threads on this same problem over the years also. So I will have a 2004 Vertical Escape for sale with a fresh motor if anybody is looking.

You think you would have lost the pistons before the bearings though. Those bearings can retain oil for a little while.

B

Bentwrench

Jan 21, 2009
Thats a ton of information all. I will get a hold of IndyDan if someone could reply with a phone number or web address.
It is or will be hard to swallow if they do nothing as I anticipate. I will also offer Polaris quite the earfull with their 90 warranty on a crap crank.
At this point I would love to buy a new sled and keep this one for a backup, but will have to save or part it out for the down.

Premium Features