• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Busted crank

B

Bentwrench

Jan 21, 2009
Anyone have any input?
Just had a complete new bottom end put in my 04 800 Liberty with SLP Big Boy bearing kit, NEW Polaris crank and case, all the porting, balanced and trued, balanced clutch by SLP.
800 miles and it broke between the two bearings on the PTO end.
Not sure what will happen as far as warranty, but am looking for alternate machine shops and fixes.

K

koschak

Jan 16, 2008
Northern Minnesota
Crank

Send it to Indy Dan and you won't have to worry about your bottom end ever breaking again. I've heard a few horror stories of fresh new bottom ends coming from SLP that pop and no warranty on them. Indy Dan's new bottom end has a FIVE year warranty on the pto end.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Welcome to the crowd. I sent my bottom end to SLP in the summer of 2007 and it lasted almost 800 miles. It also broke between the bearings. SLP told me Polaris won't warranty their cranks so they wouldn't do anything about it. I had my Credit Card Company go after them with no luck. Someone on the SW forum stated that he thought the bearing they are using has too close of tolerances and when it gets hot seizes, breaking the crank but when it cools down looks fine. If you had SLP do all the work including resembling your motor they may do something for you. I would try to get a refund and send it to Indydan.
I sent my bottom end to Indydan, wish I would have in the first place. Cost me about the same and now I have a 3 year warranty. The only problem is now that sled is my backup.

M

markis24

Mar 30, 2008
Northwest WA
Go with Indy Dan, I have one of his bottom ends on my 800. His customer service and love for these machine's is phenomenal. Get your clutch balanced while your at it. My .02

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
We had a 04 vertical escape with the slp crank work go down with under 500 miles.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
You should get a different sled if you can. The polaris 800 have and always will have big problems.And i have seen a lot of failures with this crankshaft Most all did not break the pto end ,most had broken rod pins. single wide or double wide bearings does not seem to matter .It seems the new ones are going down left and right. the cat 800 seems like the ticket for longevity these day. That said i do have a polaris 1200 (2 800 cranks) Nothing is trouble free Some are defiantly better than others. do the math how much are you going to throw at that 800 and are you going to have any peice of mind with it?It sucks because you can make great power out of them. But not for long.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Bentwrench, are you going to keep the sled?

Most of my customers with 800s are either fixing them on the cheap and riding them till they break again or just selling them off broken for parts or whatever and moving on.

It's getting hard to swallow a $2000 bill to fix an old 800.

sled_guy

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
800 crank

if you like the sled and chassis, as I did with mine, send it to indy dan, he'll built you an almost bullet proof bottom end and will give you a five year warranty. great to deal with too

C
Apr 11, 2008
michigan
Throw the twin in the trash and put a triple in it. Best money I ever spent and the triple has more at any throttle position. Twins will go down as one the the great marketing snow jobs, manufacturers went to twins for only one reason greater profit not because they were better or even close. Sorry to hear of your troubles hopefully SLP will do something for you.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
There is no twin that will stay together for 5 years of hard riding, nope not going to happen.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
i have 03 edge bone stock ride hard all time it still run's
Your definition of "ride hard" and Hardass' may not be the same. How many miles on your sled? And keep in mind, if yours is a 700 they have a much better track record than the 800. I don't think there is a Poo 800 owner (pre-Dragon) anywhere that doesn't sit and wonder when (not if, when) his crank is gonna let go.

sledheadedd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
the great nw
i dont ride the road's. it is 800 escape 3500 miles but any sled that put's 8200-8300 rpm out all day is not going last forever.on less it is big mod power water craft.

Last edited:
L
Feb 25, 2009
Washington
I rode my 01 800 highmark for 7 years, the engine was the only thing that was still stock on the sled, but it always ran hard. and still runs to this day. And I ride as hard as any of you F-ers. maybe you just don't know how to take care of your sh-t.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
There is no twin that will stay together for 5 years of hard riding, nope not going to happen.

With a 5 year warranty, no matter what mods you have what does it matter?

Indydans cranks are well built, I can see 3 years of hard riding but if it breaks before 5, lets see.........WARRANTY! Dans stands by his work.

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
crank failure

I have a 2004 800 vertical escape and the crank broke last year at 2750 miles and I was not surprised because that happens to these sleds. So I sent it in to SLP and they called me back and said that the crank was junk and could not be rebuilt. So I had them put in a new Polaris crank,SLP tough boy bearing kit, line bore the cases, balance my clutch and reassemble the bottom end. Then they sent it back to me I put in a new top end and all said and done I had over $1800 invested but I did it right because I was planning on keeping the sled. Then I bought an M1000 and the RMK became my back-up sled. I had it out in Cooke City this year and a friend was riding it and it had a 144 miles on the new motor and the PTO lower rod bearing went out. I sent the bottom end back to SLP and they said it was starved for oil and all the main bearings and the MAG lower rod bearing was going also and it is going to cost me another $382 to fix it. They will not help me out because they say it was starved for oil, but yet my pistons and cylinders look good. I have always been real happy with SLP but this part makes me wonder. I have read alot of threads on this same problem over the years also. So I will have a 2004 Vertical Escape for sale with a fresh motor if anybody is looking.

Premium Features