• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Chain

M
Nov 17, 2008
Wisconsin
So, I was riding over the weekend and just dicking around going slow when I decided to get on the throttle a bit and do a wheelie when all of a sudden I squeezed the throttle and heard this loud grinding/breakage noise from my sled. I immedietly stopped and opened my hood to find my outter chaincase half blown to bits and my chain laying in my bellie pan. I was just dumbfounded by this because when it blew I was going slow and just starting to get on the throttle so, I was wondering what could of caused my chain to break when I was barely beating on my sled? Any suggestions as to what lead to this. I've seen chains break but, not under these conditions. :confused:

M
Nov 17, 2008
Wisconsin
I don't think the chain would have been loose, I was just in the chiancase earlier this year when I replaced my track and when I reassembled everything I made sure everything was set back to manufacturer specs.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
If you put enough throttle to it to do a wheelie, it's enough to break a chain with a weak link. I've taken apart chains that did not seem too bad and found pins half worn through!

Mar 14, 2008
Mancos, CO
i have had the chain break once. too much power and not keeping the chain tensioner just right made it happen. i think carving circles doesnt help much either

Premium Features