• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Boards: Black or Plain??

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Very nice gang! Such a sweet mod to those sleds. I'd like to see all of you cut out one big hole per that photo. On ones that guys left a cross beam the beam unless perfectly flat can flex against the board and eventually weaken the structure. Once you go past a metal's memory or flex it weakens substantially. With aluminum one bend is fine...two is not!

Also want you guys to drill out the 3 factory rear suspension rivets and drill up through the bottom so that you can put 3 rivets into the Better Boards right with the factory rear suspension bracket. That rear bracket gives it lots of rear base strength and I'm worried that on a couple that we see that strength is omitted. Probably would never be an issue but keep an eye on those rear rivets and make sure we don't get some play and flex warn into. If you need more rivets down the road just give me a shout. Once again...I don't think you'll see a catastrophic failure so it's probably a non issue...but keep you're eye on it.

Remember the structural strength of this model comes from three points. One the outer edge front where it ties into the steering hoop from the steel outer support beam. Two..the rear factory suspension bracket. And three the upper support beam on the top 2 3/4" of the outer support beam on the top of the rolled three piece factory tunnel. By design we want to take advantage of these structural locations and avoid weaker areas.

Rob, I am finally getting ready to install mine. I got a little busy with business and doing a room remodel on my house. Anyway, are there long enough and enough rivets included to go through the rear bracket? If not what size will I need to purchase? Got my air riveter and love it.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Everything should be included in your kit. The rivets will work perfectly with both the front factory rivet location (through the plastic) and the three rivet mount locations. I normally install about 30 to 36 on the IQ RAW RMK models. If your kit was somehow missing the steel rivets please call us and we will get a bag off immediately.

Remember that I like to put the first 7 (1 in the factory plastic spot that you drilled out) and the other 6 (three on each side flanking the openings in the front before the cleats start) installed from under the sled running board so that you stand on 3 to 4 mm of rivet for added traction without risking trapping your foot in the event of a roll over.
Rob

Premium Features