• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Boards: Black or Plain??

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I personally Like the Black ones better, for one thing it off sets the tunnel and has that mod look and second like mine it goes with the rest of the black on my sled

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
Rob is supposed to also be working on a new no stick coating.I have not heard from him lately regarding this and have been waiting to order some betterboards for my 09 D800.Rob if your out there let us know whats up?

S
Jan 5, 2006
black or natural

no paint is lighter. look at sprint cars a gram of weight loss here and there adds up to pounds of weight loss over all. black would look cool though

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
lol...people and "looks"...sheesh.

The black is "coated" (power coated)...thus less prone to icing and having snow stick to it.
That is the reason or difference between colored and 'non-colored'.

Oh, and Black looks better.. :p lol

and in the case of being lighter. lol yes sitting in your garage, or in your trailer, you'll have a lighter sled. grats. if you decide to ever ride it, in snow...you'll have a heavier sled due to snow build up.

hehe

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
no paint is lighter. look at sprint cars a gram of weight loss here and there adds up to pounds of weight loss over all. black would look cool though

Lots could be said about the weight factor but here for the no stick factor vs the build up of ice like the above post.Make me kinda laugh at all the guys that weigh 260 plus lbs and try to shave 20lbs off their sled

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Get coated

RED ALERT
It will be interesting to see if those SE's end up wowing, stressing, and contributing to a spider crack failure on your IQ RAW like the ones that several dealers are telling me about and the one that I personally examined. The failures so far have been directly behind the front suspension mounting plate and also directly in front of and below the rear running board support bar connection. I've pointed this out multiple times to both my competition and to everyone on SW that will listen. DESIGN FLAW! YOU SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLING RIVETS AND ADDING FLEX PRESSURE TO THE BASE OF THE IQ RAW TUNNEL. The strength and support are in the upper 2 3/4" of the rolled and stacked IQ RAW tunnel. If you just putter around you should be fine...if you "ride" your inviting serious trouble not very far down the road. Most of the failures were under 1yr old sleds. If that was my sled I would drill out the tunnel rivets and go with just the running board rivets. The fact that you don't get to tie in structural strength from the running board to the rear suspension bracket is just something you get to sacrefice both astetically and structurally. They probably cost less.:confused:

ABOUT COATINGS

We have been performing freeze rate, friction, surface heat signature, ice adhesion, crystallization, hardness, application bonding, application thickness, base metal prep conditions, and endless combinations of applications with heat variables on numerous types and brands of finishes. The results of which were very interesting. THE NET RESULT IS THAT THE COATING THAT WE SETTLED ON IS FAR AND AWAY "BETTER" THEN NATURAL ALUMINUM IN EVERY WAY, SHAPE, FUNCTION, AND FORM. So much so that I personally wouldn't consider natural uncoated aluminum for my own sleds. It costs more and it's absolutely WORTH IT!

{the finish also outperformed 4 constitutions of PLASTIC radically in both rate and adhesion (that shocked me...because I had assumed polycarbonate plastic was the magical answer to keep snow from sticking to metal parts even when we didn't consider functions like durability). In several versions the plastic was superior to nothing but not even remotely in the ballpark with the hard metal coating that we settled on even in simple adhesion, surface freeze rates, and friction only tests. Finish durability and function even made the plastics less of a candidate.}

REMEMBER
All "powder" coatings are NOT THE SAME. The other enlightening results of the tests made that incredibly clear in all of the tests for performance and in some of the durability tests from an applicators standpoint. IE it's not as simple as spraying on a random electro static powder applying heat and calling it a day.

There you have it....The manufacturer who also designs, tests, and uses these products daily SAYS GET COATED. Performance tests are absolutely conclusive.

307 Snow*Moto

Mar 10, 2008
Big Horn, WY
One Happy Customer

From one happy Better Boards Customer to all non-using or competor using Better Boards onlookers. I purchased a set of Black BB for my 06 900 Dragon last year, my brother installed them as if they were apart of the sled. They are amazing, I will never own another sled without them I dont care how good they make stock boards unless they call Rob and ask them to incorporate it in to the stock tunnel. I currently have 5 sets on order from Rob because everyone I ride with loves them wants them and have seen the effects of a good board. I was able to talk to Rob about the design of the IQ RAW tunnel, because the wifey has one, that is getting boards now, and he explained everything that he reiterated in his post above mine. Dont cheap out, if you have the money to spend or if you are even considering new boards dont be cheap because you can afford it or you wouldnt be looking. Here is a picture of Black BETTER BOARDS not the sub par snow eliminators on my Dragon.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I think that is the safe way to do it just to be sure. They will still be plenty strong just with the running board area. I don't want to make you feel bad about what you have just want you and others to know that we've seen problems in that area and to realize it's not an apples to apples comparison of products.

A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
I would like to order a set of better boards but I am not finding any showings of the bb's that incorporate the tunnel for order? Am i missing something or is this a custom deal. Anyone have any info please let me know would like to get a set ordered for my 09 D8

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
They are finally starting to roll out gang! To date there are now 400 orders to ship...that is FOUR FRICKING HUNDRED ORDERS. I have hired a personal security guard as I am getting death threats from the packaging and shipping department girls. We are cranking full tilt to get caught up....here is the fun part. Boise show is Friday and I'm not sure I'll have something to sell...but they usually scramble and get it all done. CRAZY GOOD TIMES! I stole one of the first sets of BLACK IQ RMK RAW (new models) for our show display sled. These are such a great product for that sled! I'll snappy some better shots at the show and post em.

Nov 26, 2007
Boise, Idaho
i put black better boards on mine

DSCF3581.jpg

DSCF3580.jpg

DSCF3577.jpg

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
here is a horrible quickie low quality shot of the new IQ RMK RAW's...we are rushing to get done for the show so this is all we have for today.

Hey that GEN II looks good!

XP black are $232 retail...go to www.snowmobilebetterboards.com for the complete list and rundown. I think they got the site going yesterday. Still need to fix it up and get more photos installed but you'll get the gist for now.

Last edited:
Premium Features