• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Skis for M1000

Best Skis for M1000

• Power Pro Skis

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Simmons Gen. 2 Skis

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Stock M Skis

• Sly Dog Skis

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Simmons Flexi-Skis

• Other (explain)

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Just picked up my new sled, and I am wondering what skis ya'll like best. Powder Pros, simmons flexi's, simmons gen. 2, stock cat m skis, Sly Dog's, or other. ( I am going to try to set up a poll, but we will see how this works out...)

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
problem is, most haven't had a chance to try more than 1 or 2 skiis, so you're going to mostly get answers to what they bought, not necessarily what's better.....i tried the sno-pros on my 1000, good in powder....not good anywhere else, too aggressive....they bite too hard and will about pitch you off in crusted, rutted snow...same with spring snow....mixed reports on most other skiis also.....slp makes the straight line tracker that i've heard good reports from, but again, they were being compared to stock, not to other after market skiis....perhaps the new cat stock ski for next year might make a good overall choice....

S

stacey

skis

Simmons gen 1...not even a debate..they changed my sleds handling completely....i ran tight limiters to gain more ski pressure because the stock skis didnt turn well.This screwed up my suspension as i found out, the rear fox float doesnt handle tight limiters. Changed my skis to simmons gen 1s and backed of my limiters and they were amazing.Replacing the rear float with a dual or 3 stage coilover and adjustable piggyback cylinder.

S

stay tuned

Oct 18, 2002
Bozeman, MT.
I ran Sly Dog's, Powder Pros, Simmons, and duel runner stock ski's. The ski's that work the best for me were the Mod's hands down.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
gen II's worked awesome on my 07 m1000 all the way around. on the 09 I cant keep them on the ground any way so what ever is light. on my cheap fish scale the gen II where 6.5lbs heavier than stock skis. but the turning is better and they flex through the bumps for a more controlled trail ride. haven't found enough pow yet this year to say they where worth having on and with the 2 wheel kit it give it a different geometry. I liked them so much on my 07 I didn't even try any thing else on the on but just put the stock back on and will try them tomorrow. A lot of it is the different skid setup too. just haven't found the sweet spot on the 09 yet if there is one. but in the little bit of pow I have found they work great.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Gen 2's will help keep that heavy front end up on top better. I have run the stock m ski's the gen 1, slydog and powder pros. I will keep the gen 2's thank you!!

D
Nov 20, 2005
i have generation one simmons and there good...........but i have heard better things about the mods........i want to try them out..........or even powder pros............

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Mods

Mods get my vote - excellent ski in any condition. BUT, if you like to hit stuff (trees, rocks, etc) the aluminum bridge WILL break (doesn't flex). Best powder ski out there for the M's in my humble opinion...

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
I have the Simmons gen I's on my mod and love them. So I thought I would put them on my M8 too and I hated them. Great performance and handeling, but they turn so damn hard!! I couldn't back my limiters off enough to make a difference. I stand up all the time when I ride, even on the trails, and I just hated the way that they turned. I put my stock ski's back on for now.

Don't get me wrong, they work great, but they turn way harder than stock!

Boone

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
well the stock skis are junk if you ask me the only advantage over the gen II's is it tips on its side a little easier and they weigh 6.5lbs less but for the control in all other areas I'll sacrifice the weight and mod a few things to get it tippier.

Premium Features