• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An actual new 2 Stroke Yamaha Snowmobile Engine (UPDATED)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The last several years I've been thinking the same thing, but look at the new YXZ that they dropped in the sport UTV market. I think it'd be awesome to see a game changing sled from Yamaha for the first time in a long time.

And side note, someone was telling me Yamaha introduced some 2 stroke motorcycles this year
Great effort in utv market by Yamaha but still not a game changer. All reviews still sway toward rzr 1000 turbo especially in handling and susupension.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
But that IS where all the real Snowmobile money is at for the manufacturer

I hate to come in here and throw facts around, when I dont really know the facts.... But the Pro RMK out sold every other sled model for a year... or 3 in 2011-2013, I don't remember which year, or if it was actually all 3 years in a row... point being mountain sleds have the potential to be where the money is at.

Statistically I have no idea where numbers are for parts, gear, accesories, etc between what trail riders spend and what mountain riders spend, but I think it would be a safe bet to say mountain riders spend exponentially more on all the above. And lets not forget all the money mountain riders spend driving to their destination, and the lodging and food there and along the way.

I realize that sled registration numbers are wayyyyy higher in the midwest, north, and northeast, but I would definitely think that the "big money" is in the mountain segment, if you can own it... And yammi just doesnt get that because of how tiny of a player they have been in it for the last 10 years.

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
I hate to come in here and throw facts around, when I dont really know the facts.... But the Pro RMK out sold every other sled model for a year... or 3 in 2011-2013, I don't remember which year, or if it was actually all 3 years in a row... point being mountain sleds have the potential to be where the money is at.

Statistically I have no idea where numbers are for parts, gear, accesories, etc between what trail riders spend and what mountain riders spend, but I think it would be a safe bet to say mountain riders spend exponentially more on all the above. And lets not forget all the money mountain riders spend driving to their destination, and the lodging and food there and along the way.

I realize that sled registration numbers are wayyyyy higher in the midwest, north, and northeast, but I would definitely think that the "big money" is in the mountain segment, if you can own it... And yammi just doesnt get that because of how tiny of a player they have been in it for the last 10 years.

That kind of info is very misleading. It depends how each manufacturer counts and reports "most sold model". My point being is standard RMK counted same as Pro RMK? Is a Polaris Rush counted same as Polaris Rush LE, or Polaris Rush LE Switchback? There are so many variations to each model. The Pro RMK model may very well have sold more than any SPECIFIC sled model but keep in mind the amount of trail models available compare to mountain sleds. Depending on the brand, trail sleds out number mountain sleds offered over 3:1. Its no wonder a mountain sled would have highest numbers but that doesn't mean more mountain sleds were sold than shorty's.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
That kind of info is very misleading. It depends how each manufacturer counts and reports "most sold model". My point being is standard RMK counted same as Pro RMK? Is a Polaris Rush counted same as Polaris Rush LE, or Polaris Rush LE Switchback? There are so many variations to each model. The Pro RMK model may very well have sold more than any SPECIFIC sled model but keep in mind the amount of trail models available compare to mountain sleds. Depending on the brand, trail sleds out number mountain sleds offered over 3:1. Its no wonder a mountain sled would have highest numbers but that doesn't mean more mountain sleds were sold than shorty's.
Point isnt whether the info is misleading or not. Its that Yamaha needs to step up put out a sled thats competitive in the 2 stroke 800 line up, there is alot of money to be made there, and they act like there isnt due to pride or whatever it is that keeps them from building a two stroke. I dont get it. The mountain sled industry is huge and growing. The dealers around where I am at, which is eastern south dakota, dont hardly hardly sell short tracks anymore, they maybe get 1 or 2 to put on the showroom floor and end up giving them away part way through the year. And we are 10 hours from any decent mountain riding. Much different than 10 years ago when all the dealer around here sold was short tracks. I am hoping things will change after the merger with cat.

But really the only reason I ever wanted a 2 stroke yamaha mountain sled was for another chassis choice. I could care less about the motor, all the current 800s are 155-165 hp and run good. Now with the cat merger I dont think we will ever see a new chassis from Yamaha, but rather a Cat chassis with a Yamaha motor IF they were to ever come back with a 2 stroke.

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
AAE9A2FD-90D4-46C2-A573-C8BBC05D7A06.png
[/URL][/IMG]

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I give up, snowest still hasn't mentioned or showed anything about the new Yamaha coming out. Chris what's going on, let see snowest step up and report on this. :juggle:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I give up, snowest still hasn't mentioned or showed anything about the new Yamaha coming out. Chris what's going on, let see snowest step up and report on this. :juggle:

Maybe a trail version only for 2017 - just like when the first viper came out? Lack of interest by SW until they make it a "mountain sled" by slapping a long track and some bar risers on it for 2018 :)

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Well one thing is certain AC's deal with Suzuki is coming to an end. So somebody is gonna be building their next 2 stroke, doesn't take a genius to figure it will be Yami. Sure this deal was made years ago when they partnered together.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2017 Yamaha Snowmobiles: Snowdust

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XMrqa-j5eho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
Well one thing is certain AC's deal with Suzuki is coming to an end. So somebody is gonna be building their next 2 stroke, doesn't take a genius to figure it will be Yami. Sure this deal was made years ago when they partnered together.

Cat just built a whole new engine facility to manufacture their new 600 ctec engine. I would like to see a Yamaha 800 2 stroke but I doubt cat will need it because I'm sure they are making or have made their 800 ctec engine. Who knows for sure tho. It definitely is fun talking about all this tho.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
They are definitely going to launch a new sled (if it is in fact a new sled) in the trail market first. Then next year we will see it long tracked and deemed a "mountain" sled.

Exciting to see at least SOMETHING from Yamaha in an otherwise dull and uneventful mountain segment player.

Someone mentioned crossplane engine. It does sound very similar to the exhaust note of my FZ-09. I think this is more than just a coincidence! The FZ-09 engine is amazing!

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
Yeah that engine is an awesome engine! It doesn't make a ton of power tho is the only thing. I think 80-90 hp is all that 950 triple makes. I think it sounds more like the 4 banger R1 motor.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Yeah that engine is an awesome engine! It doesn't make a ton of power tho is the only thing. I think 80-90 hp is all that 950 triple makes. I think it sounds more like the 4 banger R1 motor.

115 horsepower and 65lb-ft. The power delivery is what really impresses me.

+1 for the R1 variant, I just have no real world experience with that engine.

Premium Features