• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A note to Polaris - after reading Dragon mods

S

summit800rmk

Nov 26, 2007
I thought I would get a few responses like this and thats ok. I understand why. You missed the point and that's why it was written to Polaris (hoped there might be a Polaris rep or two on here...don't know. Please hear me out.

First the odd responses:

1. I will not be telling a large co. like Polaris with lots of engineers how to fix their problems.

2. Yup I lied about the miles on "one" of my sleds" (are you kidding?).

3. I'm not saying every sled Polaris has made since 05 is bad. But Polaris did not lose all that market share due to top notch quality.

XP's do have problems and I would not buy one ( I would buy a 05 / 06 Rev). I don't buy a new sled every year and try to pick better years (I expect some fluctuations).

When I purchased my last two RMK's I looked at Polaris and Skidoo 04 Revs (only brands I really care for). I could not find a deal on a Rev.....and I like the RMK's I purchased and mainly, I'm familiar with Polaris products.

When you spend your hard earned money on a product, the manufacturer should deliver a quality product. That means taking your "favorite" manufacturer to task once in a while. I own two businesses. One is a service organization for various manufacturers. Over the last 13 years the trend has been a steady increase of flawed products with the end result being "the consumer's problem". The consumer complains but buys regardless. So it appears the manufacturers know this. Not much incentive to fix quality issues. I don't believe you buy or defend anything just due to it's name. When you spend 10 - 12K on a sled and it can burn up the hyfax in 300 or less miles...you should be screaming at Polaris. You think Polaris didn't know????? I mountain ride. I have to take trails to the playgrounds and this is the first snow year we have had in a long time (Rode one time due to lack of snow a few years back. once(partially hint on low miles on "one" sled). Why should your sled be over heating and taking belts out. Think Polaris didn't know? Why do you think that is ok? You should not have to spend a dime to fix crap like that. (clutches and rails are basics when it comes to sled design) Most of us work hard for our money, I just think Polaris should act like it. Don't give people who dished out that kind of dough a rough time for calling out Polaris..be thankful. It ensures Polaris will be around. I ride with the same group of guys I have for many years.....use to be all Polaris. After next year I will be the only Polaris rider....they are all on Rev's and the other guy told me yesterday he is buying Rev's next year (no I don't know which year he will buy) (he also keeps an extra on hand) (second hint on low miles on "one" Sled).

Bottom Line: Speak up LOUD when your favorite manufacturer fails in their quest for quality. Don't be-little those who speak up for they do everyone including the manufacturer a favor if done with integrity. If the manufacturer fails to respond QUIT buying the product! At least for one purchase cycle. It is the only card we as consumers really have. I agree praise is important......

:) We do love our toys don't we. I mean no disrespect to any rider here or even Polaris. Remeber not everyone can spend aditional $ after forking out the 10K+ and they should not have to.

PS I think the Dragon is the meanest looking sled yet.

Hope I explained a little...........

i am thinking like you i buy a dragon 800 163 i got it 2 weeks ago and i spend money on gear and spring to find the good set-up for my altitude 0-3000 feet

and the sled bogue like hell at sea level and the dealer don't know what to do and polaris have no issue

i pay 15 000$ can and my sled is not working well at all

i am really pi$$ offf right now

@+

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Bad taste in your mouth from that 900 it would seem.

Sort of, yeah ... I agree with JoeMT that its rediculous to spend $10,000+ on a sled and then turn right around and have to spend another $2-3000 on it just to get it working properly for the type of riding environment it was intended for.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
i am thinking like you i buy a dragon 800 163 i got it 2 weeks ago and i spend money on gear and spring to find the good set-up for my altitude 0-3000 feet

and the sled bogue like hell at sea level and the dealer don't know what to do and polaris have no issue

i pay 15 000$ can and my sled is not working well at all

i am really pi$$ offf right now

@+

There is an update to fuel mapping for the bog issue. It's been out for several weeks so your dealer should be able to fix that now.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
There is an update to fuel mapping for the bog issue. It's been out for several weeks so your dealer should be able to fix that now.

I just got done riding last Saturday with the new reflash on my 08 Dragon 155 and I think some of us will be disappointed. Though it runs better in the lower mid range the bog has only been minimized. Before it happened from 7100 rpms to about 7600 rpm, now it is more like 7250 to 7600 rpms. This is a step in the right direction but my sled still will not run right and in certain conditions it is frustrating. My dealer (service manger) has been excellent to work with and I do think he is doing all he can to help me with this issue and I'm sure it's as frustrating for him as it is for me.

But Polaris should be able to help more, and it does seem like they are afraid to step up and say lets get this fixed. I'm not sure why, maybe it the management style. You have to let people take care of each other this is what forms the trust we all need and allows us to be understanding and fair.

I trust my service manger will get this taken care of. I hope he has the same trust in Polaris but they need to earn this trust, and from some of the comments I get back from the dealer (not the service manager) I'm not sure this trust is there.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana

When I went into my dealer he had no knowledge of a remap. He even checked on the Polaris site. Evidently it is currently only available if the dealer has reported a problem and Polaris sends it to them to try. Then that dealer may use it at will I do not know for sure....

S

summit800rmk

Nov 26, 2007

my dealer call at polaris to ask im if there was a mapping issue and it's not available to canada yet i was there when he call and polaris have no clue for me right now

i hear that to canada te new mapping is not available because of the polution test ,they are not he same for US and canada and they are not approve for canada yet

i am the one stuck whit a sled that don't work well

@+

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hey summit..try this go a size heavy on your clutch weights...really helps with the bog and the motor seems to pull it fine...I can pull 68 gram weights all the way up to 6000 ft. it will only pull 7850 at that elevation but it climbs good in the powder.also if you have to run 64 gram or lighter weights..run belly busters....they apply harder at mid range and make the bog less noticeable...hope this helps...

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
my dealer call at polaris to ask im if there was a mapping issue and it's not available to canada yet i was there when he call and polaris have no clue for me right now

i hear that to canada te new mapping is not available because of the polution test ,they are not he same for US and canada and they are not approve for canada yet

@+

Bummer, didn't know that there were polutionlaws in Canada too. More BS to mess up our sport. Don't know what part of Canada you ride but I thought that the guys in Alberta got some relief on this issue. Maybe one of them can shed some light?

S

summit800rmk

Nov 26, 2007
i thing the problem is more at see level because when i ride at 3000ft it dont seem to bug thats much but at see level it's worst

tomorrow i put 19-42 gear and black and green spring i al ready have 11-64

will see if it's work

@+

P
Nov 26, 2007
08 700 dragon 163

JoeMt I hope you read this, first off, yes there are some quality issues with poo.....i agree, but poo has not made one person pay out of there pocket to fix them, and any good dealer wont make u. Second, i bought an 08 d 163 700, will not trade it for anything.......the only things i have done for this sled is clutching and that's cuz i want to get everything possible out of it. Still have yet to have a 800 155 get me in a climb. What i'm getting at is u want a reliable sled by the second year 700, rarely if ever is a first year sled perfect.....look at doos xp chassie....the m8 was a flop bad.....poos 900 was a flop bad......yes the d8 is not perfect but only minor probs. along the lines of shocks, it's all personl prefrence, have not touched my shocks, yes they suck on the trail, but i dont care about that so i dont complain, good luck getting the complete package.....all i can say is buy something that is proven, which right now is the d 7 as far as i can tell....honest like many before have mentioned, buy the brand or sled u want and live with it. One last thing, if all manufactures made the perfect sled, we would not need slp, boss, hrp, psi, fox, ezryde, boondockers, prologic, ect the list is long. Just buy ride for more than one year and make it your own. my .02 to all people who read this.........

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com

@+

Umm, I call BS on that. I was offered the re-map on my Dragon by my dealer here in Alberta two weeks ago. I think your getting a load of #$%*.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Just left my 08/800 at Cycle Works in Edmonton for the reflash, service manager also said I need heavier weights for low altitude riding. I hope he is right, my sled worked perfect in the mountains but sucked here at home.I bought the sled in the U.S. no warrenty for me, hope this is all I have to do with the dealer!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
only certain dealers have the reflash...mine has it but said it makes em run worse at low altitude..so I didnt get it done...heard it works great at high altitude(over 8000). polaris is working on a low altitude one that should be better.

S

summit800rmk

Nov 26, 2007
Umm, I call BS on that. I was offered the re-map on my Dragon by my dealer here in Alberta two weeks ago. I think your getting a load of #$%*.

i was there when he call polaris and the guys say no reflash available
think what you want

am in Quebec

@+

Just bought a brand new 08 Dragon 700 163. I can tell by the sheer shininess of it that this sled was built to perfection. Vents are the only upgrades I will be using this winter. I look forward to sending you all tons of photos with my sled on the hill and not in the garage. Keep you posted!

ZG

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just bought a brand new 08 Dragon 700 163. I can tell by the sheer shininess of it that this sled was built to perfection. Vents are the only upgrades I will be using this winter. I look forward to sending you all tons of photos with my sled on the hill and not in the garage. Keep you posted!

ZG

You'll really like it after you put in a 19 tooth top gear. The Pro-Tapers on a short riser are a nice touch too.

P
This is the main reason why I continue to ride my 01 600 RMK. Since the REV first came into existance, that changed the way sleds were made. All the other manufacturers started to change everything from engines, chassis, tracks...etc. Sleds before only changed when they needed to, now it is a all new sled every 2nd or 3rd year, there is no tweak this, tweak that to improve the design, once it is working good, they change everything, and it comes back to us, the riders because we want something better, faster, lighter, better mpg's, more power, the only thing we don't really need is the emission stuff, that is totally government. I only ride a few times a year, I could care less if my sled only gets 6mpg. I have heard nothing but *****ing from people because they chose the newest and greatest and either had some problems, no problems or a complete lemon. The question I have is this, do you need a brand new sled to ride? Why not ride an older sled that you know works. My sled has never let me down in the mountains, it starts, lets me play, and brings me home all with minimal maintanence. Hell, I have a 1980 JD liqufire that I rebuilt and rode all last year that seems more reliable then all the sleds built after '05 after listening to this. Maybe we, the riders, need to slow down and not ask for the perfect sled, maybe we should ride what we have, let the manufacturers take what they have and make them work, if that means the next 2 years of no new sleds, then so be it. Sleds do not make them rich, quads do.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Interesting to come back and read this....started this in 08

I started this post in 08 to Polaris. My letter would not change today, however seems maybe Skidoo should get a copy also.

1. I am still riding my 02 & 03 800 rmk's. (Yes, I did stick with what is working)

2. This is a response: I agree we will always spend our money on mods ( I love mods)...but I still expect the original product to perform as stated without "having" to purchase "fixes" to poor engineering by the manufacturer.

3. My one friend is still riding his 05 Rev. Great snowmobile. Just lengthened his track.

4. My other friend who said he was going to buy a skidoo? well, he stuck with his 02 rmk until last year. **Mistake** he bought a 2010 Polaris 800 rmk off the showroom floor. Yup he got the piston flaw and Polaris would not cover it. Dealer told him it was going to melt down, but polaris would not cover until broke. Warranty goes off while at dealer..15 miles later seized motor....nice short piston skirts. Cost him alot of money on his "new" expensive sled. He is pissed. I think that chassis is amazing....just a bad motor. Now the oil pump lever is sticking, already replaced two voltage regulators....all reported flaws by those who bought (I'm assuming polaris did not send notices to their customers letting them know). Our other 3 friends same sled..nothing but problems. I'm aware skidoos have their issues.....so many top end rebuilds with under 3000 miles.

I love snowmobiling......I live in the mountains of Montana. but I feel the issues with these sleds are worst now with polaris than before. I continue to maintain my old sleds..but right now I cannot afford to have a 10K paperweight in the driveway. It feels like russian roulette to buy a new polaris.

Ride safe everyone.....again I mean no disrespect to any riders (I don't care what brand you like). Manufacturer dis-pleasure only.

Premium Features