• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A note to Polaris - after reading Dragon mods

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Polaris

I have 4 Polaris sleds: I have held off buying anything newer than my 02 & 03 800RMK (praying the cranks hold together), due to the IQ trash from 05 till now. Are the 08 dragon's better? Yes, but why are your customers still spending their money to fix numerous asinine (mistakes) / problems from the factory.

For what a Dragon cost. No one should have to be spending their hard earned money on Mods that fix problems that should have never left the factory. These mods are not personal choice they are required to function properly (Polaris's responsibility). Not to mention the problems that have no answer.

Our hard earned money should be spent on mods that take our sleds to the next (personal) level: Pipe(s) airbox, clutch weights, V force reeds. A fairly standard package. This is called "personal choice".

I will be looking at Ski doo's when my next purchase comes.....I have not ruled out the dragon. I know Ski doo have their issues also, but their track record has been better than Polaris.

This post is not directed toward any Polaris rider. I am one and have been for years, why do you think I'm pissed. I just think Polaris could stand a taste of their own medicine. If Polaris riders were to buy a different brand on their next purchase - Polaris would feel it in the pocket book......Just like their riders have over the last few years (many of their previous customers are on Rev's now and I have friends going to the rev on their next purchase without question). Quality control would become a priority. Another way to go would be to flood their phones with complaints daily.

As your customer know this....I look for technology and quality in a sled - not your name on the nose. When I bought my Polaris sleds I felt you were delivering technology and quality. I do not think that today and it's your fault!

Maybe these forums are miss leading. Maybe of all the riders out there, only the very few on this forum have a problem and it is a small %. I doubt it.

By the way, my 02 is up on the stand with the engine tore apart with 1200 miles on it......with one of those problems that has nothing to do with the rider. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The end

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
so, any specifics on these problems that "need to be fixed" to make these sleds rideable?? just curious. never cared for people who ***** about something without proposing a solution

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I just came off a Doo 07 Summit X 800R & have to think that you are really misinformed. Not being critical because I read the mags & hear the hype all the time. I'm back on the P after a bad year on the most untested, poor performing brand on the market. Spent a lot on the Doo in accessories to get it to run decent but poor quality was always "waiting" to put the sled in the shop. Lots of minor issues and some very major ones like clutches that didn't work all season & engines blowing. Mine was not an isolated lemon I soon found out. Take a peek at DooTalk & you'll see that Doo XP's are more of the same with serious issues again.

Riding with my bud's last year I soon noticed that the Polaris sleds ran flawless all season-not one or two but all riders had the same feedback. Ya the little 700 ran with or better than my 8 most of the time too. The D8's weren't perfect this year but close to it except for tweaking the clutches & fuel mapping for those at low elevation & high elevations. Some don't like the shocks others love them. Some running their track too loose have had ratcheting. I think Polaris pretty much delivered the sled you describe for 07 & 08 so am puzzled by your comments. My dealer sold close to 50 D8's so there are a lot running around my area & with almost no issues.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I know Ski doo have their issues also, but their track record has been better than Polaris.

If you would have said you were going to Yamaha because they are reliable, I would have never posted. However, how can you say that when the Ski-Doo's have had more issues the last two years than the Polaris'? Yeah, the 900 sucked, but it's not even available anymore. My Dragon 700 has 1600 miles on it and I've had no mechanical issues. My only problem was that the front shocks were low on pressure and there was a fuel line bog. The dealer took care of both just fine.

I would consider a D8 or an XP800 for next year. I'm not too brand loyal. However, my buddy has poured around $4000 into his XP to get it setup right (floats around, gear changes, venting, skis, grip warmers, etc.). I agree...what are the D8 problems you are referring to? I want Polaris to "tiddy-up" their line, but I don't see a reason to take my ball to a different court.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I wouldn't say a word either if you would have said cat or yammy, but doo? my ***. I ride a d8 and my buddies have doos..3-xps, 2-xrs from last year...all of them are shop queens,in after every ride...mine has been in to have the front track shock pressure raised and to have left handwarmer replaced in 800 miles. has a very very slight mid range burble that polaris is working on a fix on..(reflash). the doos are a belt eating, driveshaft breaking, and now I hear an engine eating badly under engineered sled,I am so sick of hearing the endall of powder riding its not even funny, its not even close, there are manufactured sleds that are lighter, more powerful and way more reliable then the xp..namely the cmx(crazy mountain extreme)I have climbed with these sleds..the skidoo's..had no problem going up everything they did and even up stuff they couldn't...big deal...who cares...ride what you own..if I want one I will buy one..in the mean time make sure your sled is reliable..its unreliability puts me at risk when it breaks back in the mountains...cause us other brand riders have to put ourselves and our equipment at risk to get your greatest ever to the road so it can go to the dealer...

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
"When I bought my Polaris sleds I felt you were delivering technology and quality. I do not think that today and it's your fault!"

You're pissed that your 6 year old sled with 1200 miles on it (i don't ride that much but 200 miles a year is about 3 days....hard to believe) is having motor issues and you want to blame it on Polaris's newer models? And then you say that Ski-Don't is all about quality control? WOW!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
You are wise to acknowledge that these forums can be misleading. Some of us tend to complain louder than others. There are probably 2000 d8 owners out there and just a handful of us complaining about anything.
Do I think there is room for improvement? By all means. Polaris has some serious quality control issues. Fit and finish type stuff.
I complained pretty hard about my cable routing, the headlight seal and my clutches not being aligned. This is all pretty minimal piddly crap when you compare it to the issues skidoo is having. On the other side of the coin it should have been done right the first time.
Overall, this is the best running most fun to ride snowmobile I have ever owned. I would guess 90% of D8 owners would probably give a 100% satisfaction rating on their purchase. Some of us have higher standards. And some of us have owned polaris before and should have known what to expect. :rolleyes:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
All the brands have their issues. And the majority of these issues (IMHO) is the fault of the sled consumer. We are begging every year for something lighter, more powerful etc.... In an effort to stay in business, ALL the sled mfr's have to try to get their share of the sales, if any of the mfr's have a couple bad years they will be out of biz. They are under pressure from the consumer to rush these new sleds to market and the results are what we have seen the last few years....lots of little issues, most could have been prevented by another season of testing, but we are so impatient we will jump to another brand if we can't get our dream sled right NOW.
Personally I think all 4 mfr's have done a great job considering the pressure from us and the EPA. I have a '07 Doo, have 3 other '07's and a '08 XP in our group and not a single problem with any of them....so don't believe everything you read on the internet, if I based my purchase on what I read on here I would have missd out on the funnest sled I've ever owned.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Joemt.
Do us a favour and just go buy a Ski-doo and then you can learn what problems really are.

The only thing that HAD to be done to the 08 700 was put gas and oil in it.
There were some minor things I did to improve the sled to my liking, but that sled is perfectly ridable out of the box. I bet there are a LOAD of doo owners that wish the same.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Polaris

Are the 08 dragon's better? Yes, but why are your customers still spending their money to fix numerous asinine (mistakes) / problems from the factory.

For what a Dragon cost. No one should have to be spending their hard earned money on Mods that fix problems that should have never left the factory. These mods are not personal choice they are required to function properly (Polaris's responsibility). Not to mention the problems that have no answer.

I will be looking at Ski doo's when my next purchase comes.....I have not ruled out the dragon. I know Ski doo have their issues also, but their track record has been better than Polaris.

The end

Your reasoning...well at least some of it is exactly why I dumped my 06 REV and got the 08 Dragon 800. Every time I had to go to the Dealer for a warrenty issue or recall(remember the pistons and half the cooling system on my 01 Skidoo had to be changed on a recall) I put a bullet hole sticker on each side of my SkiDoo hood. There were plenty of bullet holes...some for crap as simple as a thermostat that fell apart! Mile per mile I had way more issues with my SkiDoos than I have had with my Poo so far. The baffel falling out with a joke of a weld should not have ever happened...Now If I take my Polaris to the shop for warrante issues I put a SkiDoo cover on it...instead of the bullet hole stickers! Besides with that cover on it no one will want to steal it(I hope)
I am very happy I made the move..yes there are some issues like the leaks around the headlight and intakes that took me less time to fix it then to hook up my trailer to the truck. Clutch too hot..yep that is an issue..54.00 vent kit and that wa solved..sure Polaris new about this one....thats why they charge 160.00 for a belt. This might have been a planned issue..Hmmmmmmm?
Really though other than that this sled is one of the best all around sleds I have ever had.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Only issues with the sled are things that the individual rider will most likely adjust/change anyway. Not everybody likes the shocks (suspension) the same or the clutching. Yes there is to much belt heat and people are blowing belts a little more than usual but that's a change 75% of people would have been doing anyway......clutching. The shocks are soft but only problem I have with them is that they are not adjustable on the fly and should be. Those are the only 2 real complaints I have but easy to fix.

D

Daniel Boondocker

Dec 1, 2007
Idaho Falls
Dude, your drawing conclusions from others opinions. In the meantime, at least in part from what it sounds like, it's caused you to have missed out on the funnest stock setup ever made in the history of the world ( in MY opinion ). I have ridden them all. If you were talking from your own experience, you would likely not have said it quite the same. Im surprised that you heard the complaints louder than the praises. Doesn't speak very well of the group of us on the forums as a whole. More complaining, and less helping each other to solve issues. So thanks at least for trying to get their attention, and asking for them to try harder. They can certainly all do better. All of them, not any one of them. Difficult for anyone to be flawless. Manufacturer's are obviously no exception. They all do have their weaknesses. But their strengths will change your experience as you know it. And you will also thank them for what they have contributed. You are apparently still so enamored with their old technology that you haven't made the jump. Seriously. Part your sled out and take the leap of faith with your money to the next level if you can. Lot's of newer used sleds available cheap. Take your pic. They all have their strengths. Pic one that fits your riding style. But if you really want to love your new sled. consider changing your riding style also to the next level, and by the IQ. If you think about it, even riding style has had to change over the years to accommodate new technology. You won't be sorry.

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
Spent 2 of the last 4 weeks out west riding in snow that was bumper to headlight deep. I have a 08 700 155". This is the most unbelievable sled I've ever touched. I have added v-force reeds, a silencer, the slp airhorn, and put a 6 inch riser on it instead of the stock 3.75 inch one. Everything else is stock. Other people in my group rented on different days so I got to spend some time on each of the other brands comparible sleds. The Yamaha Nitro suprised me at how well it went through the snow and at how high it could climb but it felt very clumsy in the front end. The xp 800 154" went through the snow well and climbed well but was very hard to boondock with. It wanted to be on both ski's. It also blew 2 belts and broke the driveshaft the day we rented it. The M8 153" felt like a pooch but this could probably be fixed easily with a little clutching. It still went through the snow well. You cannot beat the new polaris' as far as handling and power. I have 1100 miles and still on the original belt and spark plugs. I'm sorry you had some bad luck. If I were you I'd snocheck a new Polaris and get the 3 year warranty if you're worried about it breaking down. Where else can you get a 3 yr warranty?
P.S. This is all just my opinion. :)

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
LMFAO, good luck with the Doo-doo. You got your informations azz-backwards.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
I thought I would get a few responses like this and thats ok. I understand why. You missed the point and that's why it was written to Polaris (hoped there might be a Polaris rep or two on here...don't know. Please hear me out.

First the odd responses:

1. I will not be telling a large co. like Polaris with lots of engineers how to fix their problems.

2. Yup I lied about the miles on "one" of my sleds" (are you kidding?).

3. I'm not saying every sled Polaris has made since 05 is bad. But Polaris did not lose all that market share due to top notch quality.

XP's do have problems and I would not buy one ( I would buy a 05 / 06 Rev). I don't buy a new sled every year and try to pick better years (I expect some fluctuations).

When I purchased my last two RMK's I looked at Polaris and Skidoo 04 Revs (only brands I really care for). I could not find a deal on a Rev.....and I like the RMK's I purchased and mainly, I'm familiar with Polaris products.

When you spend your hard earned money on a product, the manufacturer should deliver a quality product. That means taking your "favorite" manufacturer to task once in a while. I own two businesses. One is a service organization for various manufacturers. Over the last 13 years the trend has been a steady increase of flawed products with the end result being "the consumer's problem". The consumer complains but buys regardless. So it appears the manufacturers know this. Not much incentive to fix quality issues. I don't believe you buy or defend anything just due to it's name. When you spend 10 - 12K on a sled and it can burn up the hyfax in 300 or less miles...you should be screaming at Polaris. You think Polaris didn't know????? I mountain ride. I have to take trails to the playgrounds and this is the first snow year we have had in a long time (Rode one time due to lack of snow a few years back. once(partially hint on low miles on "one" sled). Why should your sled be over heating and taking belts out. Think Polaris didn't know? Why do you think that is ok? You should not have to spend a dime to fix crap like that. (clutches and rails are basics when it comes to sled design) Most of us work hard for our money, I just think Polaris should act like it. Don't give people who dished out that kind of dough a rough time for calling out Polaris..be thankful. It ensures Polaris will be around. I ride with the same group of guys I have for many years.....use to be all Polaris. After next year I will be the only Polaris rider....they are all on Rev's and the other guy told me yesterday he is buying Rev's next year (no I don't know which year he will buy) (he also keeps an extra on hand) (second hint on low miles on "one" Sled).

Bottom Line: Speak up LOUD when your favorite manufacturer fails in their quest for quality. Don't be-little those who speak up for they do everyone including the manufacturer a favor if done with integrity. If the manufacturer fails to respond QUIT buying the product! At least for one purchase cycle. It is the only card we as consumers really have. I agree praise is important......

:) We do love our toys don't we. I mean no disrespect to any rider here or even Polaris. Remeber not everyone can spend aditional $ after forking out the 10K+ and they should not have to.

PS I think the Dragon is the meanest looking sled yet.

Hope I explained a little...........

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Bottom Line: Speak up LOUD when your favorite manufacturer fails in their quest for quality.

I think that's why you didn't see a 900 RMK in the lineup for 2007, and you didn't see an RMK with all the horse crap bells and whistles, and for 2008 you had an RMK with spindles that didn't suck.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is, just like with pickups, don't buy the first two years of a new model. Wait until the third year and save yourself the headache.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
[/b]

I think that's why you didn't see a 900 RMK in the lineup for 2007, and you didn't see an RMK with all the horse crap bells and whistles, and for 2008 you had an RMK with spindles that didn't suck.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is, just like with pickups, don't buy the first two years of a new model. Wait until the third year and save yourself the headache.

Bad taste in your mouth from that 900 it would seem.

W
Nov 30, 2007
Nikiski, AK
Allot of good points and bad ones, the main problem I see with Polaris is the lack of communication with the consumer. The only way you can deal with them is through a dealer and if your dealer is not worth a S--- it's not good.
I have been riding Polaris since 1992. My first sled was a 1992 trail deluxe a gutless but trouble free machine, good for learning, then a 1993 XLT, a 1993 storm with a 94 engine, a 1997 700 RMK, awesome sled and why I hung on to Polaris for so long, a 2004 mod chassis I built with the same old 1997 700 engine, then the 900 RMK. I had already took a beating on the four stroke water craft I had bought in 04 when they dropped their water craft line and for a good reason, I lost about $4000.00 just to get rid of the pos. In Dec of 05 I bought the 06 600 rmk and the 900 rmk, my wife's 600 has been a good sled my 900 has been a nightmare. I put more time and money into the mounting system only to find myself fighting a no win situation, with absolutely no support from Polaris. Polaris knows they screwed up, that's why they quit making it themselves, and why they fired some of the personnel directly involved with the development of the 900. I still have a warranty on this sled until next year, but with the second busted motor mount, I have decided fix it with the soft stock motor mounts that just hide the vibration and tear the s--- out of belts and sell it for a huge loss 4500.00. The chassis is perfect and never been wrecked. Long Story short I am done with Polaris, it's a matter of principles, which they seem to have none. I bought a 2008 M1000 snow pro and put 170 miles on it and the belt looks brand new. Dogmeat I have read your post on allot of my same issues with the 900, I would not hesitate on buying a M series sled IMO.

Premium Features