• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R clutching

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I ordered low-elevation clutching, for riding Snoqualmie Pass, WA. I typically start riding around 3000; the highest we go is ~6000. Will slapping on a can throw off what is listed in the Polaris manual? I am planning on buying the 14-78 weights.

The 9R turns 8 grams more at the 3000-5000 ft level. Not sure if the P22 vs P85 makes a difference there.

9R clutch chart.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I ordered low-elevation clutching, for riding Snoqualmie Pass, WA. I typically start riding around 3000; the highest we go is ~6000. Will slapping on a can throw off what is listed in the Polaris manual? I am planning on buying the 14-78 weights.

The 9R turns 8 grams more at the 3000-5000 ft level. Not sure if the P22 vs P85 makes a difference there.
Get the 78s. I had 76s in mine today at Stampede and it consistently was holding 8550 rpm.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Did you order high or low elevation clutching?
Did the high elevation but changed it to a 76s before I rode it. It comes with 72s when you order the high elevation. I think it comes with 80s if you order the low elevation. I think 78s would be what you want here. I'm going to pull the 78s on my Boost and throw them in there.

I was also told that helix for the low elevation is junk and doesn't work for us. Pierre's tested it last year. I think you might have made a mistake ordering the low elevation clutching. I would try 78s and if that doesn't appease you then maybe switch out to the high elevation helix.

Last edited:
M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Did the high elevation but changed it to a 76s before I rode it. It comes with 72s when you order the high elevation. I think it comes with 80s if you order the low elevation. I think 78s would be what you want here. I'm going to pull the 78s on my Boost and throw them in there.

I was also told that helix for the low elevation is junk and doesn't work for us. Pierre's tested it last year. I think you might have made a mistake ordering the low elevation clutching. I would try 78s and if that doesn't appease you then maybe switch out to the high elevation helix.
? Sounds like a solid plan. Where would I be without the snowest 9R expert?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
TRS 9R P-85 currently under deep investigation. Check back daily for updates. Results to follow. Sign up for a snowest lifetime prescription to see results. Actually, no scrip required, u can see it for free but get a membership anyway and keep this forum a thrivin’ and jivin! Go TRS go!

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The P85 works awesome.
I’m very impressed with the 9R.
Rode the 155x3” 9R for 3 days. Two with the P85. Clutching is pretty good.
FYI: Make sure your dealer relearns the EV when they update the flash.

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Do you need to swap the secondary as well? Is the reason for running the P85 more performance or knowing how to "tune" it? I have an old P85 in my garage I am debating on sending out to get lightened, balanced and serviced ?

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Today I put another 35mi on my 9R (165, totally stock) and riding mostly 7500-9k.

Kept seeing 8500-8550 when it was fully shifted out on climbs in soft but mostly settled snow. WOW.

This sled just EATS.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Time will tell. I have to imagine that post-break-in mode will make it run a bit differently.

Right now it feels like it's running rich... LOTS of gas.

Stock it was in non-premium ethanol mode. I changed to 91 ethanol free mode, which is what I run. It's been running super hard ever since.

kyle_nh603

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
First ride today. 9R 155x2.75 bone stock other than Diamond ti quiet can. 72 grams 6,000 to 8,300’ elevation.
Low end has the quick response I want - transfer body weight, give it throttle, point & shoot and it chews snow and keeps on going. Sled is flat out fun. I will check for ethanol mode setting from the factory as JH@CM suggested as I am running non ethanol in it.
Only negative complaint is the brake flash put me into limp mode few times throughout the day.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
First ride today. 9R 155x2.75 bone stock other than Diamond ti quiet can. 72 grams 6,000 to 8,300’ elevation.
Low end has the quick response I want - transfer body weight, give it throttle, point & shoot and it chews snow and keeps on going. Sled is flat out fun. I will check for ethanol mode setting from the factory as JH@CM suggested as I am running non ethanol in it.
Only negative complaint is the brake flash put me into limp mode few times throughout the day.
What were you pulling?

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
It's an awesome sled! Can't even imagine how rowdy a 155 is...

I was worried about this too, and had one situation where the sled temporarily bogged while doing a move that needed some brake and throttle. But it quickly resolved when I let off. Seems that maybe there's an ECU response that temporarily limits RPMs but doesn't put it into limp mode that requires a restart?

If nothing else, this reflash to eliminate the ability to feather brake at higher RPMs will be a behavior modification tool!

Premium Features