• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 vs 750, why did polaris drop it?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
We have a 06 750 Polaris and we love the sled! It keeps up with the 800 and stomps the 700's. Why on earth did Polaris drop the 750????? It runs great! The only mods we have done is clutching and a HPS can. I have rented 3 07-08 700 rmk and they are nothing special, in fact they act just like a 600 should. The 750 pulls harder of the line, lifts the skis up when you ride, and it actually buries the tunnel in the back of the snow ware as the 700 can not.

I have lots of seat time on the machines and on the trail the 06 handles better, the 06 jumps better, climbs better, and is more fun to ride overall. The 08 700 shocks are a lot stiffer making the trails kind of rough. The only thing this sled does better than the stock 06 750 is boondock, side hill, turn going down hill, and side hill. Did I mention it side hills better?

What was Polaris’s reasoning for dropping it? It runs good, starts first time of the day with 3 pulls every time and 1 pull half way out all day long. IT hasn’t gone through a belt this year, no broken parts, nothing to service, nothing…

So WHY loose a better running engine? Could they not have carried it over o the 07, 08, 09?

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
it's a 755 not a 750.

It was heavy, vibrated like a sewing machine, had heat problems and nobody liked it.
If nobody likes it, nobody buys it. If nobody buys it, they quit making it.

P
Nov 26, 2007
755 over 700

I have rented 3 07-08 700 rmk and they are nothing special, in fact they act just like a 600 should.

not trying to bash on u, but rentals are no justice, they dont have any clutching, cans or anyone who cares how it really runs. Ride with anyone with the new sleds that has them clutched and i think u will sing another tune. IMO

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
But I'm always busting powder trails for my buddy that has an '06 700RMK, and he has to spend money on a can a radiator delete kit, and new skis just to be in the same league as my stock '08 600RMK. Well, not the same league, but just to keep up with me. He also added some home made venting, I did too(drilled holes), but that is a necessity.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
The 08 700 i rode was the first one in Cooke city and it was set up perfectly. It ran great, just it did not have near as much torque at mid range or power off the line, it just didn't have the power curve of the 755 (excuse me for calling it a 750).

And as for being a rental, our sled was a rental from West Yellowstone, over 6000 miles on it.... All we did was redo the clutch and put a can on it.

A sled with 200 miles on it verses a sled with 6000, both new clutches, pretty even if you ask me.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
But I'm always busting powder trails for my buddy that has an '06 700RMK, and he has to spend money on a can a radiator delete kit, and new skis just to be in the same league as my stock '08 600RMK. Well, not the same league, but just to keep up with me. He also added some home made venting, I did too(drilled holes), but that is a necessity.

Marv1, to tell you the truth, the 08 600 i rode this year was way more fun than the 700? :confused: I don't have any pics of that but hte 07 600 i rode last year was alot more snappy than the 08 700's i rode.

Anyways, we haven't done the rad delete and we never have any heating issues on it. I am usually riding my 900 and i leave the old man to the 755, so its not getting rode hard all the time but hear is a run down of the costs so far this year.

My 900 has heating issues and it has the rad delete, the 755 doesn't. Our 755 is almost completely stock ware my 900 isn't and i had to fix allot of things on my premoded 900 to make it rideable.

Last edited:
R

rmkray

Nov 26, 2007
Albert lea Minnesota
I have to agree with I_OWN_U last year in west yellowstone i blew up my pro x and had to rent for 4 days. the first day i got a 06 755 rmk 159, then a 07 600 144, and the last two days a had dragon 700's. I had a lot of fun on the 600 rmk but the old 755 worked beter then all of them. I know i'm stepping off of a moded 800 but the 700 acted like under powered 600's with to long of a track. the 755 and the 600 had the same fun factor but the 755 had a lot more power. the 600 had the highest top speed recall of all the sleds at 87 mph. next fallowed by the 700's at 85 and the last 755 at 83. my 2 cents

P
Nov 28, 2007
in a town
the 755's that i seen out sledding seemed to go like a well tuned 600 no more then that but who knows what was done to the clutching on them... and i went riding with one last year he came with our group and that sled ran pretty good down low but soon as he got 4000 feet or more he said it felt like it had no power and apparently polaris told him its just how that sled is... :beer;

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I honestly think the new Polaris’s are popular new mostly because of the graphics. Dragons, flames, and tribal designs appeal to males aged 5-30. The old sled graphics that were dull and plain and SIMPLE appealed to 30-50 year olds, the guys who can afford to buy a new sled every year. (at least more so). Snowest over looked the 05-06 Polaris and all they talked about were revs and M1000's. Then all of the sudden they actually rode an IQ and said wow! A 700 and 600 Polaris ride 10 times better than cat and skidoo and it keeps up with they’re 800 cc mills. Then they went to the prints and said that the IQ al of the sudden had the best suspension when it was out for at least a full season.

People need to think for them selves more. If there are 4 riding buddies and 3 bought skidoos, i guarantee you that 99% of the time that last guy is going to get a skidoo just because the thought of his friends giving him crap about his "POS" sled scares him and he wants to fit in.

A 07 dragon with a 155" track will be very comparable to a slightly moded 755 with a 159" track. There really is not that much of a difference. So the 07's were 30-40 ponds lighter, they dropped rider select, went with a lighter track, dropped idler wheels, trimmed allot of body weight off, got rid of the retarded 20 pound can, and used a lighter engine with a different air box, half of which should never have existed….. Like a 20 pound brief case…. I mean can….

The ultimate Polaris needs rider select. when I ride I like the bars almost as far forward as they go, when my old man rides he like them a long ways back and lets say you bring a girl sledding with you, they aren't going to want to reach a half mile to get to the bars nor stand up half of the day because its comfortable. I like the bars relaxed most of the time when im riding anyways, unless I am going hard core riding all day long.

Just look at thease pics and tell me which one looks cooler.

Last edited:
S
Jan 31, 2008
peters creek AK
sounds like someone is trying to convince himself his sled is cool!!:(
glad you like it but a few things here, first rider select is a joke on a mountain sled. Its for exactly what you describe, old men and women. I'm not a big fan of hardly any factory graphics but the new graphics are a step in the right direction. the red sled in your pic looks like a ride at the fair! if you like your sled thats great but I'm glad polaris got on the ball or I would be riding a skidoo right now! performance sells mountain sleds not cheesy gimiicks and graphics!

ps the guys I was riding with when I got the dragon were all on doo's, guess I was the 1%.

Last edited:
J
Mar 7, 2008
I dont know what you have been riding with but my 2008 700 keeps up with my cousins 2003 900 Cat, he's ported, polished, shaved head, jaws pipe, V3 reeds, and a cutler clutch.
I have a pipe, a can, and a clutch kit. If its really deep he out climbs me, hard packed im quicker going up than he is.
I think you should ride with someone who knows how to well "ride".
Power is great but if you dont know how to use it you might as well be on an elan.

No bashing intended but these new sleds are candy compared to anything even a couple years old.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
The ol' 755 doesn't hold a candle to the 700. I'm not gonna list all the reasons why cause i'd be here all day.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
IMO the 05/06 polaris 755 and 900 were nothing more than stop gap trail sleds that polaris tossed a long track on to try and compete with Ski-doo's new rev.

As has been stated before, rider select on a mountain sled is moronic. The last thing I want when I drop off something is a set of bars "designed" to move.

I ride an 08 700 RMK (stock, except cluthing and gearing). The wife rides an 07 700 dragon. We came off 01 genII sleds. My 08 700 has more power and is 10 times funner to ride. I am glad you like your 755. I wouldn't own one on a bet.

I
Nov 27, 2007
Norway
I think the main reason Polaris discontinued the 755/900 was the lack of consistency - some sleds ran great and did not smoke belts, other were not so lucky....:devil:
It also seems like the 755 was less troublesome than the 900..?

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I dont know what you have been riding with but my 2008 700 keeps up with my cousins 2003 900 Cat, he's ported, polished, shaved head, jaws pipe, V3 reeds, and a cutler clutch.
I have a pipe, a can, and a clutch kit. If its really deep he out climbs me, hard packed im quicker going up than he is.
I think you should ride with someone who knows how to well "ride".
Power is great but if you dont know how to use it you might as well be on an elan.

No bashing intended but these new sleds are candy compared to anything even a couple years old.

Im not a cat guy and iv onoly rode 2 cats in my hole life but honestly, back then i doubt it was making a 140 hp ware as the 700 suposidly does. As for riding, i baise this all on my opinions. When a i ride i like to switch to diferent to test them out to decide if i want to chainge anything on mine to make it perform better. Ang i agree 100% on the fact that hte new chassis is better than the pre rider forward design.

IMO the 05/06 polaris 755 and 900 were nothing more than stop gap trail sleds that polaris tossed a long track on to try and compete with Ski-doo's new rev.

As has been stated before, rider select on a mountain sled is moronic. The last thing I want when I drop off something is a set of bars "designed" to move.

I ride an 08 700 RMK (stock, except cluthing and gearing). The wife rides an 07 700 dragon. We came off 01 genII sleds. My 08 700 has more power and is 10 times funner to ride. I am glad you like your 755. I wouldn't own one on a bet.

Ware i ride, i end up riding alot of trails to get ware i need to go and unless you have your own sweet spot in your back yard, i bet most of you guys do as well. When i have 5-10 miles of rough trail i like to sit down with the bars back, why waiste the energy on the trail pretending you are in snowcross...

If your sled is geared down and has been clutched perfectly than it should beat any 01 sled ever made, but it doesn’t really apply to my sled, an 06 is still pretty new.

I think the main reason Polaris discontinued the 755/900 was the lack of consistency - some sleds ran great and did not smoke belts, other were not so lucky....:devil:
It also seems like the 755 was less troublesome than the 900..?

I also think that that is true. My 900 didn't run right and i had to make it do so. The 700 ran great from the day i first pulled the cord and has only gotten better.

This year we have $700 in clutching and a can on the 755, and 2 weeks ago we had it geared down for $125.

The 900 i have $300 in clutching, $125 in gears, $100 in high fax $100 in ice scratches and i have to buy more because i keep backing up with them down :mad: , 2 new throttle blocks, belt, TPS check, new wiring harness, and i still have a bog at curtain elevations.

I just think Polaris should have kept the engine as I think the engine has an amazing power band and is a joy to ride in powder. I’m not saying the new 700’s are junk because they aren’t. But the 600 is just felt to me almost as fast and I thought it was a lot more fun to ride than the new 700’s and i was wondering if anyone felt the same?

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know of 2 guys who want to sell their 800 dragon 163 and buy back their 06 159 900s.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Don't even get me started on the 900. Polaris could have balanced the cranks and fixed the problems and they could have easily kept them in the 07 08

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Did you really just say that the 03 kk weren't making 140, with the mods the guy listed I doubt it was making 140 it was prob making more. Those sleds pulled like freight trains. Everything about the new 700 is better if set up right IMO, better track , better suspension, no lame rider select. The raw on the trail is sweet feels like I am on a quad. Couldn't put the bars in a better spot. Balance is better, Gas mileage is better. Graphics are ok, but I'm a big fan of no decals. You need to to ride a new d7 that has been regeared and the clutching and I promise you will change your opinion.

I agree I ride with a 755 and the sled doesnt out perform me anywhere. Track is so much better on the 07 and even better in 08. The enigne itself will not pull me on hardpack or bottomless. Both of our sleds are stock other then clutching and gearing, but the cfi just performs better.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I think the key to any sled's performance is keeping it away from idiots.
If your sled always has problems its one of three things: 1. its your fault, 2. you're too picky, 3. your sled really did come screwed up.
But in my experience it's 1 or 2.

I've ridden a 07 600 and a 755, if you don't like torque then the 600 is a much better sled.

Premium Features