• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 RMK 800 wont pull start

D
Apr 28, 2012
My sled has been sitting for 4 yrs due to my liver transplant. I’m in better shape now and gonna try to sled this winter. I changed fuel and plugs, pulled rope and it popped but locked up. I can move the primary about 320 degrees fwd & back but it gets to a point where it won’t move any more. Locked. I can go the other way moves smooth but gets locked in the same spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the sled only has 200 miles.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Sounds bad... a lot depends on how you stored it - inside or outside, oiled cylinders or fogged, drained fuel or not (and fuel type / stabilizer)... draining and refilling fuel does not get all the water from condensation out... might be a hydrostatic lock with fuel or oil in the bottom of the crankcase. Peek in through the spark plug holes to look for any obvious damage or scoring. I am not sure the Pro has crankcase drain plugs but some sleds do, if it does try pulling those if you can get to them (might not have them or might not be able to get to them). I am thinking something catastrophic may have happened though, like a cracked piston skirt or cylinder skirt. Would be pretty unusual with that low of mileage.

Alpine Xtreme Edge

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2017
Oregon
My first thought is that because of the hot/cold summer/winter storage for so long, oil got pushed past the check valves into your crank case. Try pulling the spark plugs and turning it over. If oil flings out with complete rotation, you'll have your answer.

Premium Features