• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 equipment dilemas...

V
Jul 13, 2009
western washington
Looking for some ideas here. First dilema; helmet. I've been riding with my snowboard helmet for 2 seasons now. In spring stuff it seems fine. When the weather is crud, my face gets pounded by wet snow/ice/rain. Anyone using a different style helmet for sled and snowboard? Been thinking about using a full face bmx helmet, or something similar. Ideas?
Dilema 2; boots. I ride my snowboard in hardboots.(actually A/T ski boots) Period. My feet and any softboot setup I've tried over the years do not get along, we are talking extreme ball of feet pain. So, what do you think for boots for the sled? How to carry the extra gear? Any skiers out there have any ideas that work? I need more ankle movement on the sled so I can move around better...

I feel that you should ride your sled with a 'motocross style' helmet and bring your ski helmet along. Your dont want to slam your face down onto your handlebars with a open face helmet. We've stashed our snowmobile helmets and other stuff we dont need in a garbage bag when we to the area we're going to snowboard at. Your boots: You got some serious issues if you have to ride in ski boots. I think you need to go try on a bunch of snowboard boots to till you find the ones that will work for you. If I were you I go look at the following brands: Burton, Salomon, DC, 32, Nike: In that order! Some folks say that Boots are the most important part of the kit (snowboard, bindings, boots) and I think thats mostly true if you have all quality stuff.

V
Jul 13, 2009
western washington
MX helmet...

That's what I was thinking of. Know of any light ones? Guess I'll go shopping for helmets. Thought of the bmx helmet 'cause of the weight, moto-x better for the sled though.
Boot issues are 2. Foot pain is one, and snowboard specific hardboots fit/feel tons better, A/T boots work well for me in the backcountry, especially on the splitboard. 2nd is having all that power transmission to the edges when I want it. Nothing is better hands down. Just now on the sled I've got a dilema, might just ride the sled in my leather mountaineering boots,maybe better running boards would help, too. Just fishin' for ideas...thanks!

Cant help you too much on helmet selection....except that for riding a sled a mx helmet is the way to go. The more liteweight the more $ (like anything else). Boots: Sounds like you like stiff boots, so do I. I just got a pair of Burton Driver X boots. I love em. They are stiff but still lots of lateral (side to side) flex. I dont splitboard but I read alot of good reviews on splitboard sites when I was researching buying them.

M
Nov 26, 2007
seattle
i agree a moto helmet is the best for riding sleds, but there is kinda another option out there but not DOT approved. Look into mountian bike DH helmets, like either the Giro madmax or a troylee, lots of super burl ski dudes rock these on their big lines. now i know that the DOT has nothing to do with helmets on sleds but some people need the approval rating.
also one last thing on helmets when looking at moto helmets cheaper is not the best factor!!! like boots fit is key. $.10 head $.10 hemet

now for your boot issue:
Dakine makes a boot bag, you could put your at boots in it then strap it to your tunnel. I have been thinking about this as i hate to ride the sled in board boots [to bulky]. Also as RamBob stated you like stiff you really need to check out the Burton Driver X!

M
Nov 26, 2007
seattle
also what bindings are you using?
that has a lot to do with foot pain also.

my feet are real picky and i found the right boots and a good binding setup.

boots Burton Ion
ride bindings on normal board and sparks blaze on split.

V
Jul 13, 2009
western washington
I use snowboard plate bindings. When I rode softies, I used Sims highbacks, Clickers, Switch step-ins. One I would try is Flows, if I could find a comfortable boot.(been looking) I think they would relieve the ball of foot pain, and be easy on the high arches. To do softboots, I'd probably need to get ones with a removable liner, use Thermo-fit liners and Superfeet cork footbeds. Lotta $$ to spend on an experiment when what I use works well for everything else.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
If conditions are tough or in a remote area I throw my ski boots in a backpack and strap them to the tunnel.

As far as the helmet I ride just with my variant brim on, I realize the risks but It's a pita to carry another helmet.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I am a skier. It sounds like you are going to ride in hard boots. Do you really want to deal with hard boots beating the crap out of your tunnel or potentially bend it, depending on what your riding, and trying to put on super cold boots. Vibram soles work well at keeping your feet on the running boards. After that you just need to learn how to ride your sled with hard boots. I have done it for years and we ski the first half of the day and rip the second half. So, you just learn to ride with the boots on. Its not that bad once you get used to it.

Premium Features