• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1M Big bore clutching theories??

P
Dec 7, 2007
Kelowna
Looking for some constructive input on clutching.

1160 cat in a 1M chassis, running 13.3:1, 4 timing key at 6000 ft

Jetted 470 with Bored (42.5mm carbs) Should be running over the 200hp with how its set-up.

Looking for a little more out of the clutching, currently at;

Geared 19:43

running a 49* red/white

140/320 prim spring with 76 gram weights - Pulls 7900-8100 rpm.

I'm hoping some other 1160, 1150 and 1010 guru's can give some advice on helixes, progressive, dual angle etc. . weights, light tip heavy tip, etc

Cheers!

sometimes it pays to just listen;)

you can pull more helix and that red/wh spring is only gonna cut it if you are sub 160lbs. a sp green and more helix is where i would go. hastings talked me into trying stiff springs in the primary....his BB's seemed to rock, so I am now at 160/340 and it made a huge diff in how it hit. I am running light tips as that seems to work for now, but some supertips are in my future and I will fiddle with primary shifting.

FWIW mine ran last week a 60/50-SP green 2nd hole 19/43 and 68.5 gr cat weights cut down from 70's w/ 160/340. I am seeing high engagements but it still will creep around in the trees. you should have 15-20 hp on me as I am on a re-ported 1010 on pump gas/bored carbs twin D&D's and vf3's

the week before I changed from a 49* and yel/wh ti primary spring....I thought it ran good......it was lazy then. I hope I can do this a few more times....

P
Dec 7, 2007
Kelowna
76Fomco & Spring Snow Hero,

I appreciate the input and feed back, I have a 57/50 and a green snow pro around I'll through in aand give a try.

As for air, Buddy has the same sled except 48mm carbs. With the same clutching and gearings we are neck and neck and pull near the same on a hill.

(He's a way better rider) so I don't think the carbs are a huge part.

What has worked for helixes, progressive, dual angle etc.

Weights, tip heavy of heel,

Primary, heavy spring and Heavy weights, lighter spring and Lighter weight??

Cheers!

J

B

bigbird

Nov 26, 2007
edmonton area
www.rushmotorsports.ca
I am running a yellow primary spring, 78 g weights, straight 49 helix with the snow pro green in the 5th hole. problem i am having is, it is loading the motor a bit too early. thinking of going to the cutler purple/white. this is on an 1150 cutler.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Kelowna
When running the SP green hows the clutch heat?

Ran it two years ago and it cost me a primary clutch from clutch heat warped a chieve...

5th hole is super tight.... You must have enjoyed getting that on there!

What belt are you running... Yami belt?

J

P
Dec 7, 2007
Kelowna
Have any of you guys tried a progressive helix? I was going to try one of performance engineerings 58 to 46 billets?

I've tried the 52/44 stock cat with a red white and 78 gram light tips.... Thing shifted like it had a two speed power glide in it. Put in 77 heavy tips and it straigtened out but still not a much grunt as this motor should be capable of..

Have any of you guys tried a progressive helix? I was going to try one of performance engineerings 58 to 46 billets?

I've tried the 52/44 stock cat with a red white and 78 gram light tips.... Thing shifted like it had a two speed power glide in it. Put in 77 heavy tips and it straigtened out but still not a much grunt as this motor should be capable of..

I am running a 60/50 progressive right now. its shift is super linear....never feel it "shift". I made a few stiff pulls in some heavy fresh and it never pulled down....it did slow down though....according to the guys....I was too busy looking for where I gonna pop through the cornice. a guy that is 80 lbs lighter came up on a line close to mine and I was not sure he was gonna get it....he got slowed up a bunch too. I am on a 1010 he is on a race gas 910 carls. my 49* never would pull down either, but was lazy on the way in. I think on big long hills it would shift down slower and possibly give a touch ore track speed, but I am only guessing since I have no speedo....I could be bass ackwards.

I don't have a speedo, but so far my light weights and steep helix seem to be working. for my next test I am gonna chop a bunch out of some 75gr weights and see what I can do.....still want some supertips. my current weights are lightend up a gram and some change, I am looking to try another theory and see if I can get a bigger upper-midrange hit and still hold it on top.....wish me luck!

y890

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cascade Idaho
76Fomco & Spring Snow Hero,

I appreciate the input and feed back, I have a 57/50 and a green snow pro around I'll through in aand give a try.

As for air, Buddy has the same sled except 48mm carbs. With the same clutching and gearings we are neck and neck and pull near the same on a hill.

(He's a way better rider) so I don't think the carbs are a huge part.

What has worked for helixes, progressive, dual angle etc.

Weights, tip heavy of heel,

Primary, heavy spring and Heavy weights, lighter spring and Lighter weight??

Cheers!

J
me and my buddy have two kingcats with turbotater 990 kits with 48 culter carbs that pulls 70 gram straight across weights, 130-300 primary spring straight 53 helix red/white 3rd hole,stock gearing, 8200 rpms around 6000 to 8500 feet have no belt issue 020 belt, weight of the ride 220 plus. After adding the culter carbs we end up adding 2 to 3 grams more weight made big differents on the top end.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
cpc makes a tps bracket and you just add your tps to it and it bolts on the side of the carb and takes the oil pump fitting.

Premium Features