• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 900 MC 159" EFI Clutch and Gear ?'s

R

Rnansen

Oct 27, 2012
Aurora, CO
I have an 04 900 MC with an SLP silencer. All the clutching and gears are stock. I want to gear down to get more bottom end. What I am looking to do is some wheelies. Any recommendations on what gears and how to set up the clutch? I ride in CO between 9000' and 11000' feet.

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
green snopro spring in secondary, 60/42 helix (you wanted a trackstand) otherwise go with a straight 53, 20/43 gearing, and get rid of the pogo suspension.

you lose a significan amount of horsepower at that ele. With few to no mods you should be kickin out about (correct me if i am wrong) 140 hp at sea level. at 9000 feet you are going to lose a bit under a quarter...i think 22-23% so I would look into adding a bit more horse.

There are many varying factors that can attribute as well such as temperature, tuning and snow conditions.

I never really respected horsepower until I pulled my 975 back over on me while on a pretty easy pull....first climb with my mod set up to my liking and i almost destroyed it....since then I've been kind of a hp whore.

get a hold of either Idcatman1 or Idcatman3, turbotater, or on the "forum that cannot be named on snowest" and get a hold of 76FoMoCo...If Nate is still around on here, he's a good one to talk to as well. He had a pretty stout 990.

Arctic Thunder, Reeb and Wyoboy are also good ones to talk to.

S
Sep 7, 2010
i had this sled in a 151. that motor is a hall of fame classic. so tough. the helix is a great spot to start. i also had the straight 53. some guys ran down to a straight 49. the straights had better results than the multi angels from what i recall.

i put boyesen reeds and a speedwerks y, pipe, and can combo on it with an attitude industries box. tried to sweak a little more juice of of her. i also put a 2.3 x 16" track on her--huge difference to go with a 16".

in your case, dropping a couple teeth and a helix swap will get you to where you need to be. PCDOC was another guy that helped me out quite a bit with dialing it in. good luck. this thread is like a trip down memory lane. lotta good times on my 04 900 efi.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
It really depends on what you want. I see your in co so I am guessing you do a far bit of deep snow riding, climbing, etc.

So to get a wheelie monster and a true mountain sled you will be a different ends of the clutching scale, and suspension setup.

If your after wheelie's only.
I would run about a 51 helix, I don't think you will pull a 53 at that elevation. Run a red secondary spring in about the second to loosest hole. Leave the primary pretty close to stock. Now to get the front end up. drop the front suspension mount in the lowest hole, and let the limiter strap out all the way. soften up the rear springs. It will get with it then. But it wont' climb for crap, it will be a trench monster.

To get it to climb at that elevation I would run a 49 straight cut helix yellow secondary spring in the middle hole, leave the primary stock, But don't be afraid to spin the rpms up. then put the front suspension in the upper hole, suck up the limiter straps a bit. You need to try and keep the front end down to get the thing to really start to climb.

But they are a blast.

The wildest wheelies on those is with a Broken limiter strap. (honestly it is just out of hand at that point)

Super fun sled overall,

Thunder

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if you suck them down put an anit stab kit on it....going wfo to qfs (quick f***in stop) is not pleasant. not fun getting off the hill either

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
if you suck them down put an anit stab kit on it....going wfo to qfs (quick f***in stop) is not pleasant. not fun getting off the hill either
BTDTNF!!!!! (Been their did that no fun) 49 helix 20/43 with hyvo loosen the straps put a powerclaw on it and the skis will never touch the snow!

Premium Features