• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 mountain cat, broken drive axle

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I was looking for a light weight one for a 03 Mtn. cat, But I bet they don't exist unless it is a 600.00 titanium version? If I was you I would look for a 900 Mtn. cat or Kingcat version that is 1.25" hex. Yours I do believe is 1.125" If you can get it with 2 extroverts it will about the same weight and you could go to a 3" pitch track?

Mike

Last edited:
S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
go with 03 setup

in 03 they changed the mtn cat to a ten tooth driver, its bigger so the track spins easier, i put it on my 01...its not any stronger but it performs better

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The 01' had a 1" shaft, by 04 they had a 1 1/4 shaft. The 1M had 10 tooth 2.52 pitch drivers and the king had 3 pitch 9 tooth.

T
Dec 20, 2008
I Thought that they were all the same from 98 to 04, someone worked this sled over before I got it. Already has the 10 tooth drivers and a hollow driveshaft from cutlers, drop and roll, cans, 900 kit, etc. no wonder I broke it

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
Man if you broke the Cuttlers hollow shaft thats kinda odd??? Did you break it down in Mammoth last weekend???? Where did it break at, end,middle,bearing surface??? The hollow shaft is way stronger than OE best go back with the Cutlers, maybe it had been hit before you bought the sled and stressed the shaft??:confused::beer;

T
Dec 20, 2008
Called cutlers yesterday and they don't have any more and don't plan to make any more in the near future. Broke it right in the middle, had the whole thing apart two weeks before to turn the track around and put new bearings in it. I was just about to head up toads wild ride in south lake heading up to hell hole and armstrong pass, busted it on the trail about a mile from the house. Think I've spent more time wrenching on this thing than riding it, ah well its easier to drink standing in the garage than ripping up the mountain.

T
Dec 20, 2008
That's one pissed off Canuck, Called cutlers again to make sure they didn't have any of the larger diameter shafts. No luck, but he did say that the shaft is drilled for weight but is the same hardness as the oe. Someone offered up one from an 03 with the 10 tooth 2.52 drivers and I think i'll pick it up soon as I get into the chaincase to see if there is any other damage. Can't afford to put too much cash into this sled right now, not to mention time. Got a little girl runnin around and a cabinet job waiting in the shop.

Premium Features