• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drive Axle Nuts

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Had both the drive axle retaining nuts work there way loose riding this past weekend. I have always kept a sharpie line on them to watch movement, but 1/2 way into the ride it happened.
Cleaned up everything and lucky enough to not damage any clutches, especially the Adapt.
One nut was beyond re-install the other appears to be good, so what have people gone back with as far as torque, and any type of loctite?
Shop Manual dictates 100 ft lbs torque, and have the correct tool for installing the retaining nuts.... Just like to see what others have done to keep this from recurring.

Drive axle nuts.jpg

Last edited:

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
same thing happened to me and i had to get new nuts. i didnt have the tool so i lock tighted them and then used a hammer and chisel to get them to the exact proper torque specs.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I used red. Doesn’t mean it’s correct but I don’t like my nutz to come loose when riding. Haha. X 2 on the hammer and chisel!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
obviously that was a lot of sarcasm
Haha, I actually did use a hammer and chisel/prybar. But only after I used big channel locks and skinned my knuckles. So, red loctite, channel locks, hammer and chisel. Voila. Dat bish ain’t comin off till I tell it to!

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
How did you get proper torque on nuts with a chisel and hammer?
not sure how tight i got it but i'm sure its pretty f$%&ing tight. best way is with the right socket but thought i may be riding again soon so didnt wait and order it.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
You can get that socket easily ay Autozone. I bought it for about $20.00 hardest thing was taking off the foot well toe guard .
100 ft lbs of torque and proper red loctite.... Should keep them for awhile- but I have see them come off with loctite- had 2 more in my shop over the weekend ....
Wonder why all of a sudden- must be the miles- anywhere between 800 to 1200 miles I been seeing Teams and now the drive nuts.....

69343624923__DF406F9F-EB4F-47C4-BB6A-3178AC226F79.jpg 5C3F5BEB-E321-4DF9-8426-F1548FDFB533.JPG

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Haha, I actually did use a hammer and chisel/prybar. But only after I used big channel locks and skinned my knuckles. So, red loctite, channel locks, hammer and chisel. Voila. Dat bish ain’t comin off till I tell it to!
haha i meant sarcasm towards the torque setting. i dont doubt for a minute that you used a punch and chisel, id do the same!

Premium Features