• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Midrange Bog

G
May 4, 2009
Enumclaw, Wa
Lot's of threads talking about midrange bog -(5-6Krpm)

Solutions range from:
DPM
Carb Mods - Needle valve
Rave Valves
Clutch setup
Belt ??....

to there is nothing you can do about it.

Looking for any sucess stories or recommended shops that can handle this riddle.

Appreciate your input.

Y
Nov 11, 2008
Calgary
Right around 5500 at light load I have this issue.. Bogs right out, you can even hear a change of tone in the exhaust. I suspect needle and or main jet tuning, and hope it's not the needle jets being installed at the wrong height (carb replacement). Alas, I will have to buy some tools, jets and some adjustable needles to try and start chasing this down (next season I guess). Anyone have some baseline jetting / needle position reccomondations for a stock '08 800r with only a HPS can 3000ft-8000ft? Maybe some other avenues one should investigate before messing with the jetting of this thing?

Last edited:
Y
Nov 11, 2008
Calgary
I still have the '08 needles.. What year needles have the clips ie. what would i be asking for at the parts counter? Also at what clip setting should the needles be 1st set to?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Sounds like the exact problem I had. Infact exact same sled. I fought this issue for 2 seasons and it's finally fixed. I had everything changed or looked at. Had the Carbs replaced, no luck; had the computer update, no luck; had the rave valves looked at, no luck; had all the hoses looked at, no luck; Had the DPM tested, it tested good; Had the DPM solonoid replaced, bingo! After 2 seasons it finally runs!!!!!!! I have never been so frustrated with a sled in my life. I even jumped ship to another brand just to get some riding in. However I did not sell the XP because I didn't think it was fair to stick someone with my problem. Now I guess I'll keep it as a back up sled now that it runs and it's paid for. Believe me I understand what everyone else was/is going through. As much as I hate to, I must give BRP credit as they always picked up the tab. However I spent a small forture in gas driving back and forth to the dealer. I guess the DPM was bad from the get go and normal tests did not indicate it was bad. Good luck.

G
May 4, 2009
Enumclaw, Wa
Sounds like the exact problem I had. Infact exact same sled. I fought this issue for 2 seasons and it's finally fixed. I had everything changed or looked at. Had the Carbs replaced, no luck; had the computer update, no luck; had the rave valves looked at, no luck; had all the hoses looked at, no luck; Had the DPM tested, it tested good; Had the DPM solonoid replaced, bingo! After 2 seasons it finally runs!!!!!!! I have never been so frustrated with a sled in my life. I even jumped ship to another brand just to get some riding in. However I did not sell the XP because I didn't think it was fair to stick someone with my problem. Now I guess I'll keep it as a back up sled now that it runs and it's paid for. Believe me I understand what everyone else was/is going through. As much as I hate to, I must give BRP credit as they always picked up the tab. However I spent a small forture in gas driving back and forth to the dealer. I guess the DPM was bad from the get go and normal tests did not indicate it was bad. Good luck.

Very encouraging feedback.... Thanks. You are the second rider I have read about that has been successful with replacement of a good testing DPM. I will go down this avenue and provide feedback. ... Note -- Cascades in WA still have 8+ ft of snow. :)

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
I still have the '08 needles.. What year needles have the clips ie. what would i be asking for at the parts counter? Also at what clip setting should the needles be 1st set to?

Yor needle has 5 groove and a E -clip which allows the tuner to either lean/ or richen the mid range. A bog would indicate you could be running to rich in the midrange... By lowering the clip into lower clip postions you are able the lean out the mid-range. The same goes for a richer mixture by raising the E-Clip to the upper position you richen the mid-range mixture.

OT

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yor needle has 5 groove and a E -clip which allows the tuner to either lean/ or richen the mid range. A bog would indicate you could be running to rich in the midrange... By lowering the clip into lower clip postions you are able the lean out the mid-range. The same goes for a richer mixture by raising the E-Clip to the upper position you richen the mid-range mixture.

OT

OT..sounds like you have that backwards...the closer the clip is to the top of the needle.....the leaner the mixture...the lower the clip is on the needle..the richer it is....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The real question here.....is the needle clip "movable" or "adjustable". Does the needle clip actually move? This question is for OT :D:beer;

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Brew, lets just say the clip does not "move" or "adjust" on it's own. :eek:

OT

So the needles are considered "adjustable"...so does that apply to the ramps??? GOTCHA:eek::cool::beer;......BJ

BTW- the 2007 have adjustable needles...the 2008-2010 XP's DONT...but since you DOO all the work yourself on your XP I guess that slipped your mind just like what is rich/lean clip positions???:rolleyes:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
bog

The 2009's have a little less timing in the mids to help the 2008 midrange bog...assuming all DPM componants are working properly...

If you have a 2008 have the 2009 knock sensor update done (dealer), jet down to 470's, add a .010" shim to NON-adj needle, 44 helix and new spring in the QRS and REVMANS shim kit ALL 2008 clutches are out of alignment and a 20 top gear for a 154 and a 22 top for 146...this is a solid "tune-up" for a stock 2008-BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

OT

There isnt ONE thing correct in this post...

I truelly HOPE you know half of what you type...BUT then you just prove me wrong over and over again...:rolleyes:-BJ

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Any ideas WHY the mfr's went away from adjustable needles when they know their product will be operated from sea-level to 13000ft??

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
There isnt ONE thing correct in this post...

I truelly HOPE you know half of what you type...BUT then you just prove me wrong over and over again...:rolleyes:-BJ

BJ just as a reminder your the author of the " TRA ramps are fixed and don't move at a''"

BJ everyone know's (BUT YOU) that adjusting the needle/clip cleans up the mid-range. If adjusting the needle clip up/down does not clean up mid-range than what does it do ?

OT

Last edited:
O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
Any ideas WHY the mfr's went away from adjustable needles when they know their product will be operated from sea-level to 13000ft??

Brew, in 2001 when Doo introduced the 800 they had a fixed needle which lead to a nasty mid-range bog. Around mid season SLP had some custom tappers made the cured the bog. My 08 BB XP use a differant tapper while my 09 XP stocker works very crisp in the mid-range.

I truely that Do knows that they can sell needles for 50 bucks a pair. That if the clip was there wouldn't be possible.

Skidoo builds sleds so they can sell $Millions in parts.

OT

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Brew, in 2001 when Doo introduced the 800 they had a fixed needle which lead to a nasty mid-range bog. Around mid season SLP had some custom tappers made the cured the bog. My 08 BB XP use a differant tapper while my 09 XP stocker works very crisp in the mid-range.

I truely that Do knows that they can sell needles for 50 bucks a pair. That if the clip was there wouldn't be possible.

Skidoo builds sleds so they can sell $Millions in parts.

OT

Again..not 1 right thing in this whole post...

The 800 came out in 2000.5...had adjustable needle and run flawless...in DOO's infinite wisdom they changed the needle in 2001 to a stepped non-adj. needle that couldnt even be shimed...the height of the hoodless nozzle was the problem, then having a new POS needle just made it worse...a 2001/2002/2003 with proper nozzle height (DOO has a tool for this) and the 2000.5 800 #942 needle in #3 is the easy fix...but what do I know, I just worked at a dealer back then...

The 2008/2009 800R have the EXACT same needle...

These sleds have DPM, no need for adjustments from sea level to 12,00'+ (not that a fine tune wouldnt help (.010" shim or so), but this is the idea)...BJ

BTW ICE...Carb needles with 5 clip positions are adjustable but dont move...wouldnt that same principle apply to the ramps??? :rolleyes:

Premium Features