• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM 154 first 100 miles vs Pro

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
We were in 3ft of new snow, not even cl8se to hard snow. Around us everyone has to use powercamanders, slp stage 3 kits, big bore kits to be happy with pros for power. They do go through the deep very well
Though even stock I will give them that however I have heard lots of poo people say they feel like they have to out at least 1000 into their poo to keep up with the etec.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I was on an XM yesterday. I agree it helps the learning curve but its not for me at all. I also felt the power is overated. The Poo,s in the group will easily outclimb the XM in very deep powder due to the better powder track.the XM is a very nice and sweet sled. its just not an extreme mountain sled in my opinion,Poo is much more a mountain machine

REPECTFULLY I COULDNT AGREE LESS WITH THIS STATEMENT
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PRO W/ THE SAME LENGTH TRACK
TRY TO DO WHAT THE XM DOES. RESPECTFULLY

C
May 1, 2012
XM 154 first 100 miles vs pro

Fair nuff, the XM has 120 miles ,but the 2011 has 600. Yes the doo will stomp on set snow but not in deep powder. I dont ride either and its a non biased observation we see over and over, Both great sleds, the Doo is a more all around sled and Poo targeted more toward the mountain.I believe Doo hit a Home run this year but its still an enduro sled

Byeatts, you say you don't ride either??? Either set snow or powder snow? Or either an XM or a pro?? You say the XM is an enduro sled?? So if you don't ride either what makes an expert on either?? In the steep and deep in Revelstoke both sleds seem to work pretty well!! For sidehilling I think it is the handlebar to seat linkage that is the most important thing! Experimenting with your setup for the way you ride is the next! At 51 years of age you surely should have known!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
REPECTFULLY I COULDNT AGREE LESS WITH THIS STATEMENT
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PRO W/ THE SAME LENGTH TRACK
TRY TO DO WHAT THE XM DOES. RESPECTFULLY

I agree!
I think its the snow here in wa. That kills the pro.
I always hear how the pro outclimbs this and that. I have yet to se it!
My buddy who loves his pro will tell u the same thing. They do NOT keep up with cat or doo(etec) on the big hills. My buddy put a 162x2.5 CE on his pro and that sled is a whole nother animal now!
Now in the super fluffy snow that we might get 2 times a yr the pro was leaving the highmark at times. But the other 98% of our riding...... not even close.
I have seen videos of Colorado snow the was so dry and fluffy u could blow into it with ur mouth and snow goes flying! Here in washington.... it would just melt lol.
I think with polaris' soft track it would do great in that Colorado type snow. But I have never ridden there so I dont know that for sure, just my speculation.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I ride every weekend with a new Pro....both sleds 163 and the Pro has the edge in the nastiest of tree infested sidehills....the type of thing that 99% of riders would not even think about doing. I don't do them either but the guy on the Pro is a much better rider. That being said, he is still thinking about getting a XM because the other 99% of the time the XM does almost everything just as well and is a nicer all-around sled....no question (for me) it is the best sled I have owned.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I ride every weekend with a new Pro....both sleds 163 and the Pro has the edge in the nastiest of tree infested sidehills....the type of thing that 99% of riders would not even think about doing. I don't do them either but the guy on the Pro is a much better rider. That being said, he is still thinking about getting a XM because the other 99% of the time the XM does almost everything just as well and is a nicer all-around sled....no question (for me) it is the best sled I have owned.

I dont Own either but ride them both and watch them compete all day long, In Winterbrews heavier snow conditions the XM will shine just like the XP did. The Doo even with the new 2.5 track suffers in LIGHT Deep powder, The lugs are stiff and do not flex much causing her to dig,The track is not on par with the old Camo 2.5 . This same stiff track excels in heavier dense snow. The lack of usable footwells is also a drawback for a dedicated mountain sled, I dont need leg room to stretch out while sitting, and as Winter Brew claims the XM is a Nice all around sled, totally agree and its very user friendly and dialed right from the crate but it will fall short in deep powder. I watch them side by side pulling the hills every ride. this is a non biased observation not based on subjective ideas.The Poo suffers in denser snow due to the very soft paddles. Everything has a tradeoff. Poo has some huge engineering flaws this year that really put a wrench in their followship. For you who just dropped 13K expecting to have the latest greatest dont get butt hurt when a light deep day arrives and you find yourself behind the competition. I,m watching it happen as we speak but the snow will settle and you will again reclaim your status.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
maybe the massive extra doo hp is trenching a little in the the fluff.a m7 will spank a m1000 sometimes too.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I can accurately be described as Polaris - loyal. I've owned an '01 800 RMK, '06 900 RMK, and now a '12 Pro. I was never able to get completely comfortable on a Rev chassis and I absolutely despise the XP chassis. I do, however, love the power and smoothness of the ETEC engine. That being said, I did try a buddy's XM tree riding in about 2 1/2 ft of powder. All I can say is "Wow, Doo finally built a sled I can ride". It took a couple carves and less than a minute to feel very comfortable on it. To me, the Pro and XM are both so easy to throw around that I'd have no problem jumping back and forth from one to another. Good job Doo !

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Wat I love is, brp advertises 164hp and the poo is like 145hp, and watch the poos kill the xm all day long in creek beds , or tech riding,just think what a 164 hp poo will do, it will be untouchable. The throttle response and acceleration of the poo is amazing, I have a m8 turbo in my shop and after riding the new poo, the tbo is collecting dust. I tried the xm, I hate the goofy steering , so regarding maneuverability I can't comment, power is ok but not awesome, the new cats are the real deal when it comes to top power, their front end is amazing, and they are just as " flickable" as the other 2 brands. The xm has a better suspension package than the poo, I'm putting raptors on my 2013.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Wat I love is, brp advertises 164hp and the poo is like 145hp, and watch the poos kill the xm all day long in creek beds , or tech riding,just think what a 164 hp poo will do, it will be untouchable. The throttle response and acceleration of the poo is amazing, I have a m8 turbo in my shop and after riding the new poo, the tbo is collecting dust. I tried the xm, I hate the goofy steering , so regarding maneuverability I can't comment, power is ok but not awesome, the new cats are the real deal when it comes to top power, their front end is amazing, and they are just as " flickable" as the other 2 brands. The xm has a better suspension package than the poo, I'm putting raptors on my 2013.

Yep, and then a better rider on a 5 year old sled will beat that same Pro in the same conditions. Rider skill plays a bigger part in the capabilities of these sleds. They are all so close these days except the 4 smokes.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We were in 3ft of new snow, not even cl8se to hard snow. Around us everyone has to use powercamanders, slp stage 3 kits, big bore kits to be happy with pros for power. They do go through the deep very well
Though even stock I will give them that however I have heard lots of poo people say they feel like they have to out at least 1000 into their poo to keep up with the etec.

Has to? To do what exactly? If an extra 10hp is making/breaking someones riding or riding experience....really? I don't mind tinkering, but definitely don't "have to" do anything to any new sled. One of the crews I ride with...4 out of 6 guys ride full mod 174 3" race gas turbos. Those are fast sleds. The other 2 of us ride stock pros. We still go all the same places, just maybe different lines and not as quick....doesn't bother me. You can't do anything with a doo you can't do on a pro or vice versa.

Reactions: K45
M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I was on an XM yesterday. I agree it helps the learning curve but its not for me at all. I also felt the power is overated. The Poo,s in the group will easily outclimb the XM in very deep powder due to the better powder track.the XM is a very nice and sweet sled. its just not an extreme mountain sled in my opinion,Poo is much more a mountain machine

Hahaha ok, I think you need to come riding with me and my buddies. You'll change your mind about your ridiculous statement which I have quoted above LMFAO!!! The XM is not a mountain machine? Sorry, extreme mountain machine?! Do you drop mushrooms on the hill? Lol

Premium Features