• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has painted their garage floors?

MOWER800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton Utah
what did you use?
how bad was it?
what did it cost?
did you fill your control joints?
and what with?

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
i will ask some buddies

if you weld you will not be able to as it will burn it..unless you have a sheet of alum or steel made to put down...but it looks great as i have 3 buddies whom have it done..
as for your ?'s i will ask as soon as i can to see what they did..
i also have a buddy that used the plastic squares and it looks good also but noisy as you walk around

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I used the Rustoleum Epoxy floor kit.

Used 2 boxes (30x34). I like it a lot, but after about 4 years it's starting flake up and come off in places that gets gas, road de-icer or other stuff on it.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I used http://www.dcsurfacing.com/
My garage was a little over 900 sqft was not cheap but I would have never gotten the same results.
And yea they filled the joints and used PPG epoxy with a clear coat.

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
There's a great concrete stain out now! :face-icon-small-hap Still gives it a finish so it's easier to clean. My husband's a concrete finisher and works with these types of products. He goes to Dunrite Vibrators in Calgary...but any concrete supplier would have it I'm sure. Don't get the non commercial stuff, it's crap compared to this and super expensive. The stain dilutes with water and comes in a galon jug. We just picked up a wicked espresso color for our shop floor :cool:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had the full treatment done to my house in Lake Havasu.
Acid washed the floor.
Then the joints were filled and sealed.
Then the epoxy base was rolled on.
Then the color chips were blown on to the wet floor.

That was allowed to dry for a couple days.

Then the sealer was rolled on top of all the chips.
Then we had to let it air for 2 weeks before we could get into the garage.
Just left the doors wide open the whole time.

The smell was INTENSE!!!

But, years later, it was SPECTACULAR and worth all the time, effort and money to have had it done right.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
Had the full treatment done to my house in Lake Havasu.
Acid washed the floor.
Then the joints were filled and sealed.
Then the epoxy base was rolled on.
Then the color chips were blown on to the wet floor.

That was allowed to dry for a couple days.

Then the sealer was rolled on top of all the chips.
Then we had to let it air for 2 weeks before we could get into the garage.
Just left the doors wide open the whole time.

The smell was INTENSE!!!

But, years later, it was SPECTACULAR and worth all the time, effort and money to have had it done right.

Same sort of thing we had done a few years ago. Unfortunately ours has a couple spots that have been eaten away from the chemicals they put on the roads in the winter. Urrrrgggg!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The guys that did my install laid it on pretty thick.

One trick I learned.

After the last sealing coat had been applied, I got down on my knees and shined a light across the floor when it was dark.

This allowed me to see any dry or thin spots really clearly.

I marked them with painter's edge tape, and then had the boys come back and roll those areas a 2nd time.

i will ask some buddies

if you weld you will not be able to as it will burn it..unless you have a sheet of alum or steel made to put down...but it looks great as i have 3 buddies whom have it done..
as for your ?'s i will ask as soon as i can to see what they did..
i also have a buddy that used the plastic squares and it looks good also but noisy as you walk around
Hi all,

I'm going to be painting my garage soon, walls are easy enough and I've got the correct masonry paint for that. But I'd like some advice for sorting the floor

It's your typical rough concrete garage floor. Can I just apply heavy duty floor paint to it straight away, or should I apply something first to smooth off the surface?

Google seems to suggest having to level it off first, but then when I read more it sounds like the garage floors are in a much worse state than mine. Others say you can paint directly

It doesn't have to be a perfect finish, it's ultimately a gym in there with lots of machines and a couple of racks so it's not like I need a showroom finish

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm going to be painting my garage soon, walls are easy enough and I've got the correct masonry paint for that. But I'd like some advice for sorting the floor

It's your typical rough concrete garage floor. Can I just apply heavy duty floor paint to it straight away, or should I apply something first to smooth off the surface?

Google seems to suggest having to level it off first, but then when I read more it sounds like the garage floors are in a much worse state than mine. Others say you can paint directly

It doesn't have to be a perfect finish, it's ultimately a gym in there with lots of machines and a couple of racks so it's not like I need a showroom finish

Thanks for giving any advice on garage flooring lake havasu
not getting any response

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Last post here was 12 years ago and everyone is in the mtns for memorial wknd….

Premium Features