• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whittier Tunnel Closure

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
FYI.....

My pop called me today to inform me that the AKRR(he works for them) has been notified that personal vehicles won't be allowed through the tunnel/roadway indefinitely because of unstable rock above the road. Unless we as riders can find an alternate route(over the mnt maybe?), we won't be able to ride there anytime soon, if at all. He said at the moment there are no plans to let vehicles on flat beds... or sleds for that matter. I hope he is wrong, although I doubt he is.

He said geologists, Whittier officials, and DOT are considering blasting unstable rocks down, but even so, that will take time, so we might be S.O.L this spring.

M
Jan 1, 2008
We need to bombard the Governors office with phone calls. It is ridiculous that the railroad wont haul vehicles. There is also an access/work road around the slide area. Why not have a twice per day opening. I would be up for a heli lift from the visitor center to Burns glacier. Group rate with Alpine Air might just be an option.

Mark

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
We need to bombard the Governors office with phone calls. It is ridiculous that the railroad wont haul vehicles. There is also an access/work road around the slide area. Why not have a twice per day opening. I would be up for a heli lift from the visitor center to Burns glacier. Group rate with Alpine Air might just be an option.

Mark

I bet whittier officials will work something out with the railroad. Peoples cars are 'stuck' over there... so imagine something will be worked out in the coming week.

Bgreen... i bet they will figure something out b4 the end of may... i would hope anyways. The tours down there will be lobbying for some alternative or quick fix for sure.

Jen #2... don't take that attitude with me, especially after you showed your ever prevalent shadiness with that secret departure from #1's yesterdays... no good byes or anything = super rude.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Yea, well, I am sooo ready to throw out some shrimp boats and the tunnel has us boaters screwed as well. Run out in the am and throw shrimp pots...rides sleds all day, then go pull the pots and have a fresh bbq...Maybe next year!

D
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
From the looks of these photos of the slide, it might be a while. Looks like half the mountain came down!

Whittier1.jpg

Whittier2.jpg

M
Jan 1, 2008
Portage lake is still frozen. After flying over the toe of Burns glacier last year in the helo, with my sled hanging underneath, I know that it is possible to cross the lake and ride up Burns to Whittier and beyond. The only problem is that the entire Portage drainage is closed to sno-mos. Maybe someone could call Chugach Forest folks and get us a special exemption for a one time ride or something.

Mark

A
Closure - Whittier Access Road
Whittier Access Road: at Begich Peak Tunnel Entrance
road closed, all lanes blocked because of a landslide — starting 10:45 PM, 04/22/09
Comment: Portage Glacier road will remain closed until further notice due to an unstable rock slope. DOT&PF personnel and the contractor are working as safely and as quickly as possible to clear the roadway and adjoining rock edifice of all hazards. The Alaska Railroad Corporation in cooperation with DOT&PF will continue to offer free shuttle service between Whittier and Anchorage twice daily until the roadway has been cleared and deemed safe for passage. You may contact the Alaska Railroad Corporation at 907-265-2494 for more information. Thank you for your continued patience.

glad im on the slope right now, better be open by the time I get back!

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
Back "in the day", before the tunnel, if you remember ARR used to load vehicles on flat cars form the Portage loading area and haule them in & out of Whittier. they know how to do it and only need the ramps to connec from rail car to rail car

M
Jan 1, 2008
The ramps are already in place from years ago. The railroad just needs a swift kick in the backside to get the flatcars in service. Call the Govs office.

Mark

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
I bet whittier officials will work something out with the railroad. Peoples cars are 'stuck' over there... so imagine something will be worked out in the coming week.

Bgreen... i bet they will figure something out b4 the end of may... i would hope anyways. The tours down there will be lobbying for some alternative or quick fix for sure.

Jen #2... don't take that attitude with me, especially after you showed your ever prevalent shadiness with that secret departure from #1's yesterdays... no good byes or anything = super rude.

LOVE me? Sorry darling!

I'm not ready for winter riding to be over with, closures all over the place grrrrrr

Last edited:
P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
From the looks of these photos of the slide, it might be a while. Looks like half the mountain came down!

Whittier1.jpg

Whittier2.jpg

Yeah, must be a State Job if they cant clean that up in a day. Milkin it. Maybe they are waiting till the weekend for time and a half and double time for sunday.

Premium Features