• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What mods you have done that you would do again?

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
My comment was in regards to suspension.
Even though the xm and gen4 have the same skid the gen 4 is so much better than the xm which is why he probably said eh it's an xm.
Plus your not going to tell much by doing a couple of donuts. Get it on a steep side hill and go through old track it will be night and day from a stocker. Plus I noticed you said you'd put emotion on again so I'm guessing you do like it better than stock if you're going to drop that kinda coin.

peakperf

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cranbrook, BC
Post Forward
T-motion delete
Munster kill switch ( hold down to kill )
Deep snow grips

I came off 12 years riding Turbo Yamaha's and this sled is amazing. Little less straight line power but the weight reduction and handling are so much easier. Never did a lot of tight tree stuff before, mostly point and shoot. My kids ( 32 and 23 ) laugh at me now cause I won't stay out of the trees. I had ridden an Alpha's for a day or so and one son has a 2016 Freeride. I really didn't like the tippy/washy rear suspensions and am very happy with the Zbros rear lockout. I have run a tether and o-rings under the kill switch forever and it was nice to find the kill switch that has a spring under the button. The post forward was installed before the snow fell as I had wheelie issues with previous turbo's and had read that the G4 was light in the front end as well. The handling in deep snow, chop, sidehilling, and straight climbing has been very predictable and relatively easy. I'm not a huge fan of the small diameter bars, but the deep snow grips definitely help. Probably look at iBackshift this winter, the stock clutching has been good but I am seeing a lot of positive comments for Joe's kit.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
Rogue Concepts bumper modified by PO.
Munster rail braces
LED headlights
Munster brake lever
USB outlet
Deep Snow grips
BCA Pro Snowbag with Linq attachments

Reactions: High Voltage
S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
On order or already fitted:
GPS (an old Garmin Zumo I've had for 10-15 years, still going strong)
Post Forward
Team Secondary + other clutching (but not until break in is done)
As much, and as large, protective plastic bits as I can find to put under the sled (managed to combine Skinz bash plates and the full body Doo skid plate on my -22)
Rail stiffeners/reinforcements
Storage.
linq Snow flap

I have also put a full set of Öhlins shocks and some tunnel reinforcements on the -22 due to that I started off with a SP-model. Had I gotten a FR for example i probably wouldn't have changed shocks and needed to stiffen the boards.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
2021 165 Turbo

Post forward mod
Munster CFR handlebar
Munster 4” Riser
Munster finger throttle
3d logik brake lever

Fox QS3 Coilover front and rear
ZRP z-motion w/ lock out
ZRP 1.25 lift spindles
Ibackshift clutching
MVM belt drive 2.52 ratio
Diamond S exhaust can
SLP Mohawk skis

Above are parts I currently have added, must haves would be the SLP Mohawk or stock ski with way stiffer ski bushings. The Mohawk ski works so good and the updated SLP ski rubber is stiffer than durapro and stock imo. The ski tracks true and gives me confidence on steep sidehills, then combined with the ZRP lift spindles and you have a winning combo to take tree riding to next level. Fox QS3 Suspension is another item i would do again. Love the quick adjustability and the new shock internals are so much better than previous editions. Clutching…I’m open, I would adjust clutching but I’m not loyal to any specific kit, I like the low engagement and engine braking downhill with the Ibackshift.

Dream wishlist: Nextech Carbon SL3 skid, Polaris series 8 2.75 track (15 wide), map tuner stage 1, alt impact high clearance TI a arm kit. Maybe headlight delete. (Mostly things that would help me shed weight on the machine)

Last edited:

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
2021 165 Turbo

Post forward mod
Munster CFR handlebar
Munster 4” Riser
Munster finger throttle
3d logik brake lever

Fox QS3 Coilover front and rear
ZRP z-motion w/ lock out
ZRP 1.25 lift spindles
Ibackshift clutching
MVM belt drive 2.52 ratio
Diamond S exhaust can
SLP Mohawk skis

Above are parts I currently have added, must haves would be the SLP Mohawk or stock ski with way stiffer ski bushings. The Mohawk ski works so good and the updated SLP ski rubber is stiffer than durapro and stock imo. The ski tracks true and gives me confidence on steep sidehills, then combined with the ZRP lift spindles and you have a winning combo to take tree riding to next level. Fox QS3 Suspension is another item i would do again. Love the quick adjustability and the new shock internals are so much better than previous editions. Clutching…I’m open, I would adjust clutching but I’m not loyal to any specific kit, I like the low engagement and engine braking downhill with the Ibackshift.

Dream wishlist: Nextech Carbon SL3 skid, Polaris series 8 2.75 track (15 wide), map tuner stage 1, alt impact high clearance TI a arm kit. Maybe headlight delete. (Mostly things that would help me shed weight on the machine)
Is this your first time using the lift spindle or did you have it last year and if so what are the things you most noticed that are better than stock. is it still compatible with stock length shocks?

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Is this your first time using the lift spindle or did you have it last year and if so what are the things you most noticed that are better than stock. is it still compatible with stock length shocks?
While I can't offer his ride review, I can tell you that all of the spindle geometry changes are below the lower ball joint which makes it a 100% bolt on application.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt

this is my 3rd season using them. I rode my sled with stock spindles 1st half last season. It’s hard for me to give you a review of just the spindle. If you only change the spindle you may be left disappointed, idk. It definitely calms down the twitchy stock front end. If you talk to ZRP the original thought behind the spindle was to raise the chassis out of the snow more, enhanced steep side hill capabilities and improve deep snow mobility. Which I feel it does all of that.

All the changes I have made to my sled combined are what I’m really happy with. The Mohawk ski, Lift spindle, zmotion, t-motion lock out, and post forward combined is really working for me. This is the best handling ski-doo in technical terrain that I’ve ridden with this combo of parts. I’ve owned many summits dating back to original rev chassis to current. This is just my opinion, but it’s really working good for me. I have way more confidence on steep sidehills and tree riding now, combined with turbo, I am just loving it.

Last edited:

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
this is my 3rd season using them. I rode my sled with stock spindles 1st half last season. It’s hard for me to give you a review of just the spindle. If you only change the spindle you may be left disappointed, idk. It definitely calms down the twitchy stock front end. If you talk to ZRP the original thought behind the spindle was to raise the chassis out of the snow more, enhanced steep side hill capabilities and improve deep snow mobility. Which I feel it does all of that.

All the changes I have made to my sled combined are what I’m really happy with. The Mohawk ski, Lift spindle, zmotion, t-motion lock out, and post forward combined is really working for me. This is the best handling ski-doo in technical terrain that I’ve ridden with this combo of parts. I’ve owned many summits dating back to original rev chassis to current. This is just my opinion, but it’s really working good for me. I have way more confidence on steep sidehills and tree riding now, combined with turbo, I am just loving it.
Thanks for the feed back putting my ace and raptors on my 22 when I get it. It's been far above and beyond stock on my 18 can't wait to put it on my turbo. Been interested in different skis and lift spindles think I'm gonna giver a try.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
'19 sp

SLP can w/muff pot
T-motion lock out
durapro
torsion spring spacers
fox qs1.5 (not 100% that's the right name)
brake resevoir cover
hand guards

Keep thinking about post forward, ibackshift clutch and gripper ski's. Not sure if they are worth it. Pretty happy with how the machine works!

C
Mar 15, 2018
...............Plus I noticed you said you'd put emotion on again so I'm guessing you do like it better than stock if you're going to drop that kinda coin.
Took my new X out the other day and the suspicion worked incredibly well on the whooped out trail. Better than it ever worked on the XM. Like riding on a cloud over the extreme moguls. The only difference in shocks between now and when they are on the XM is that now I am still running the stock "X" ski shocks (on the XM I had some fox gas shock that actually came off a Cat) and, more importantly, I paid much more attention to set up (setting the sag) than I did on my other sled. Did not get the chance to try them "in the snow" since the conditions were not good and my son had an oops (injured) soon after we got in and we had to come back out right away so, for the most part all we got to do was pound our way up and back on the trail.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
'19 sp

SLP can w/muff pot
T-motion lock out
durapro
torsion spring spacers
brake resevoir cover
hand guards

Keep thinking about post forward, ibackshift clutch and gripper ski's. Not sure if they are worth it. Pretty happy with how the machine works!
out of your entire list the iBackshift clutch kit is the best mod IMO and definitely worth it.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
Took my new X out the other day and the suspicion worked incredibly well on the whooped out trail. Better than it ever worked on the XM. Like riding on a cloud over the extreme moguls. The only difference in shocks between now and when they are on the XM is that now I am still running the stock "X" ski shocks (on the XM I had some fox gas shock that actually came off a Cat) and, more importantly, I paid much more attention to set up (setting the sag) than I did on my other sled. Did not get the chance to try them "in the snow" since the conditions were not good and my son had an oops (injured) soon after we got in and we had to come back out right away so, for the most part all we got to do was pound our way up and back on the trail.
First off I hope your son is ok! What did he do?
I will agree that shocks make a big difference on the whoops on the trail, I noticed a big change from the 14 xm to the 18 X and to the 2020 expert I could bomb down the trail on the expert and not be beat up as bad. I am hoping that the 22 expert is the same or better again.
And yes birdmanid the clutching is the best of the options you listed.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
'19 sp

SLP can w/muff pot
T-motion lock out
durapro
torsion spring spacers
brake resevoir cover
hand guards

I have done the post forward kit, and like it alot so far. Also have done iBackshift clutching on my last two sleds. The iBackshift clutching is amazing, and you will love it.

Reactions: BirdmanID and jcjc1
Premium Features