• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What causes a Primary to break?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
So I was riding yesterday, having absolutly no issues and having a good day... Then my belt blew, it sounded was worst then any belt ive blown before. I opened everything up and my primary had a crack going straight through it and a couple other small ones, also broke the head of two of the bolts straight off. I only have about 300KM on my belt. Was it just my clutches time to go or do I have a bigger issue?

Sled is a 2007 M8 turbo on 8psi

DANG!

How many miles on it? You are lucky it didn't fly apart! I'm guessing miles and heat are a factor.

How many miles on it? You are lucky it didn't fly apart! I'm guessing miles and heat are a factor.

The original speedo broke a while back but if I remember correctly im around 3300miles on the sled.

And yeah I know it was close to exploding thats for sure! It was a tough call between getting towed out and riding it out but I ended up babying it back to the truck and it somehow didnt explode on me! Not complaining there thats for sure

so one first must answer the question...

Did the belt blowing cause the damage to the clutch or did the clutch cause the belt to blow..??

I would lean towards the first possibility if you were under load/throttle/boost..??

And then there is always the grey area of it being both factors...

so one first must answer the question...

Did the belt blowing cause the damage to the clutch or did the clutch cause the belt to blow..??

I would lean towards the first possibility if you were under load/throttle/boost..??

And then there is always the grey area of it being both factors...

The worst part is, it happened when I was letting my buddy try my sled, and I wasnt even really watching him as it happened so I just have what he says to go off of. It happened when he was just getting off the throttle at the bottom of a climb, so I assume it was right as it was coming off of half(ish) boost but not under full boost. But then again looking at the dent the belt left in the footwell the belt was definitely turning with some speed...

Im really hoping for the first possibility but I have never blown a belt on this sled before and this one blew at around 300KM under 200miles. I always check my belts and change them when it seems like its time. But then again I am comparing my old STOCK miles to current boosted miles so again its hard to say.

well third time i have written this in three days.....check your crank run out as a precaution of the belt blowing doing a number on it.....

In the second pic it looks like your belt came all the way up and out of your primary? Maybe that's when your belt blew and that's why it cracked by putting too much strain on it? Just a thought

If that was the original clutch, you are lucky it made it as far as it did, specially on boost. Unfortunately, Cat is known for the crappy primaries. They usually don't make it past 3000 miles. My guess is your spider cracked and bound up the clutch causing the shieve to crack

So looking on eBay they have clutches for 05-14 cats... I thought they changed their clutch throughout the years? Will these actually work? 8 25" and 33mm is what it says

Premium Features

Back