• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wanna get Snow Biking

G
Nov 28, 2019
Hey all,

I should probably preface this with I am not a Motorsport guy, however, I would like to be.

I've been a snowboarder since '95-'96 extending my range to the back-country 4 years ago as the resorts just keep crowding up more and more each year. I have always toyed with the idea of getting a sled but other priorities have always taken precedent (that's life).

What brings me here now is that I've rediscovered Snowbiking, I heard about it years ago but just glossed over it thinking "well that's neat", but now I am consumed with the idea of it and how it could aide in my back-country riding (or replace it). So what I am trying to figure out by joining this forum is what bike and track kit would be right for me.

I can only guess as with boarding that rider weight is likely a factor, but by how much?

My snowboard style is big alpine powder fields (when available) and technical riding through the trees. I wanna be nimble but I also wanna float and I am not afraid of putting in a little effort.

I've attempted to search around but having limited bike knowledge I am not exactly following all the info I am finding.

• Two stroke or four?
  • Is a 250cc enough for a 200lbs guy or will I get bored of that quickly?
  • If bigger, how big? and what should I be aware of as a beginner?

Cheers,
Golf

TL;DR
long time snowboarder, limited motorsport looking for info on what kind of bike and track kit to get for a nimble and floaty ride (sacrifices are expected)

mizakmx95

Cole Mizak
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 30, 2018
Lake Tahoe
www.tahoeluxre.com
Great idea! Snowbiking is awesome, I'm sure you'll have no issues with the current technology.

To answer your question:

A modern day 450 is your best bet. For diversity, I would go with as new of a KTM SXF-450 as you can afford. They're the best MX bike out there for you to enjoy in the summer and they're great as snow bike conversions. I've raced motocross for about 15 years and I wouldn't go with anything in a 250 4-stroke category or 250 2-stroke category as they're just not powerful enough to lug the track through the snow. Also, most 2-strokes are still carbureted, with a limited motorsports background, you don't want to be screwing around with jetting. You're the same weight as me, I'm about 205.

As far as set up is concerned, everyone will have their own opinion. Not knowing your budget, I would go with whatever the newest thing is you could get at a good price. Ideally, I would recommend a Timebersled ARO 129. It'll be diverse in all conditions and not just a "one trick pony". At 200lbs, it would be nice to go with the TSS in the rear and the Trio up front for additional support. Right now I believe Timbersled dealers are still doing free TSS / fit kits as a promotion.

You should do some more research on the forum into what all is needed with a new snowbike set up. You're going to need the proper fit kit for whatever set up you end up going with (the fit kit varies between bike / sled). You should also get a thermostat to keep the machine running at optimum temperature.

One other thing to be aware of it, snowbikes run extremely hard all the time. You're going to be wide open A LOT. You should really be changing the oil after every ride / every two rides. More than that and you're doing yourself a disservice with investing as much money as you're going to into the sport.

If I were you, I'd go KTM SXF-450 and a Timbersled ARO 129 with TSS and Trio.

Hope this helps you a bit.

G
Nov 28, 2019
Great idea! Snowbiking is awesome, I'm sure you'll have no issues with the current technology.

To answer your question:

A modern day 450 is your best bet. For diversity, I would go with as new of a KTM SXF-450 as you can afford. They're the best MX bike out there for you to enjoy in the summer and they're great as snow bike conversions. I've raced motocross for about 15 years and I wouldn't go with anything in a 250 4-stroke category or 250 2-stroke category as they're just not powerful enough to lug the track through the snow. Also, most 2-strokes are still carbureted, with a limited motorsports background, you don't want to be screwing around with jetting. You're the same weight as me, I'm about 205.

As far as set up is concerned, everyone will have their own opinion. Not knowing your budget, I would go with whatever the newest thing is you could get at a good price. Ideally, I would recommend a Timebersled ARO 129. It'll be diverse in all conditions and not just a "one trick pony". At 200lbs, it would be nice to go with the TSS in the rear and the Trio up front for additional support. Right now I believe Timbersled dealers are still doing free TSS / fit kits as a promotion.

You should do some more research on the forum into what all is needed with a new snowbike set up. You're going to need the proper fit kit for whatever set up you end up going with (the fit kit varies between bike / sled). You should also get a thermostat to keep the machine running at optimum temperature.

One other thing to be aware of it, snowbikes run extremely hard all the time. You're going to be wide open A LOT. You should really be changing the oil after every ride / every two rides. More than that and you're doing yourself a disservice with investing as much money as you're going to into the sport.

If I were you, I'd go KTM SXF-450 and a Timbersled ARO 129 with TSS and Trio.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Fantastic! Thanks for the input, I didn't even think about the carburetor being an issue. WOW I did not expect to hear that about how often you change the oil.

I have much to look into and consider!

Cheers.

mizakmx95

Cole Mizak
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 30, 2018
Lake Tahoe
www.tahoeluxre.com
Fantastic! Thanks for the input, I didn't even think about the carburetor being an issue. WOW I did not expect to hear that about how often you change the oil.

I have much to look into and consider!

Cheers.

Yeah, didn't mean to scare you with that. It's not a big issue, put it on the stand, pull the plug, drain it and replace it.

The bikes just take abuse from being wide open all the time.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Wide open all the time has not been my experience at all with the bikes. Yes, likely more use of the throttle than summer riding but you also don't operate in a dirty environment so oil stays clean but is subject to moisture in the snow. If you take the steps to make sure your engine temps stay up (thermostat, engine cover) the moisture will evaporate from your oil and it will not need to be changed every ride. Our group does it each riding weekend typically, up to 3-4 riding days, and most bikes only use 1- 1.5L so cost is minor. Simple to do as well so don't make that into an issue. Agree with above, KTM bikes work well for snowbike use and the electric start is very nice to have. I don't see the need for the newest versions tho, a fuel injected 450 four stroke from 2013 and newer will work fantastic. The Timbersled ARO is a good suggestions, reliable, good performance, low maintenance.

S
Nov 21, 2009
I’ve been backcountry snowboarding and skiing now for 10 plus years. One thought is that with a sled riding double is crucial for great snowboarding. I’m not sure how you can do multiple runs in a snow bike. With sleds my buddy and I can get 20 plus BIG runs in by riding double. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G
Nov 28, 2019
I’ve been backcountry snowboarding and skiing now for 10 plus years. One thought is that with a sled riding double is crucial for great snowboarding. I’m not sure how you can do multiple runs in a snow bike. With sleds my buddy and I can get 20 plus BIG runs in by riding double. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a split board, my Idea is that I would use the bike to get me further out before skinning it. I am still undecided on the whole thing though as I have never ridden a sled or a snowbike. The snow bike option really appeals to me though due to the versatility of having wheels in the summer. Thanks for your input though it is a good thought!

G
Nov 28, 2019
Wide open all the time has not been my experience at all with the bikes. Yes, likely more use of the throttle than summer riding but you also don't operate in a dirty environment so oil stays clean but is subject to moisture in the snow. If you take the steps to make sure your engine temps stay up (thermostat, engine cover) the moisture will evaporate from your oil and it will not need to be changed every ride. Our group does it each riding weekend typically, up to 3-4 riding days, and most bikes only use 1- 1.5L so cost is minor. Simple to do as well so don't make that into an issue. Agree with above, KTM bikes work well for snowbike use and the electric start is very nice to have. I don't see the need for the newest versions tho, a fuel injected 450 four stroke from 2013 and newer will work fantastic. The Timbersled ARO is a good suggestions, reliable, good performance, low maintenance.

Awesome! thanks

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
I got into sledding for deeper snowboard access into the backcountry and spent a couple seasons becoming proficient enough to hang with others. It quickly became apparent that sledding was just as fun or even more fun than snowboarding and I rarely bring the board anymore, it's actually almost a hassle. Sure you can't slash a turn as well but I'm also looking at a snowbike for my next ride, to hopefully get that back.

Long story short, once you get the snowbike you will end up leaving the board at home.

Premium Features