• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrading turbo. Need some advice

K

Kyle91rs

Ok I just bought a push pump gas turbo with a garret 2860 for my proclimb m8 from MMsports. Got an awesome deal, thanks Kevin. Just had a few questions and maybe you guys could give me some pointers as to what to do with this kit. I was thinking about running a boondocker timing key, ebc, and some sort of bov to get this thing into a little bit higher boost range. 10-12lbs would be maximum I will want to run. I would like to run straight avgas as I can't stand mixing gas!! I'm gonna be using it for revelstoke elevation so 6-9000ft. Does anyone see any flaws in my plans yet? I was wondering if it mattered where on the charge pipe a bov be installed, or if it matters, and what kind of bov would you recommend? Also, are guys having good success with routing their intakes up thru the hood? I'm not much for a sleeper look, that way I can gut my hood as well. Would you recommend using a/f gauges for tuning or egts? This is my first turbo setup, and i chose to go a cheaper route cuz i cant afford to buy a 6g+ kit right now. Figured i could buy this kit and upgrade as I go. What is the most boost you can safely run without a bov? I do have some knowledge on turbos to an extent but not as much as I'd like. Any help would be great! Thanks!

I would talk to Kevin or try getting a hold of Ken at Push and see how much a new charge tube would cost with a BOV mount and BOV. You will probably not need the BD timing deal if you plan to run straight Av and not go above 10 lbs. I am not sure you will even be able to run that high of boost without adding at least one secondary injector. Might want to buy a new charge tube with BOV and secondary injector mount. Both A/F and EGTs work good if you understand how they work. It is actually nice to have both, but not really needed if you know how to read one well.

From the pictures I received it already has an extra injector mounted in the kit so that doesn't concern me too much. I emailed ken and asked him his opinion on the matter just waiting for a reply now. I would like to have a timing key just in case I feel the need to turn it up some more. I plan on running aroun 8lbs first trip out with it to get a feel for it, then next trip ill turn it up to whatever it can handle and let her fly lol

From the pictures I received it already has an extra injector mounted in the kit so that doesn't concern me too much. I emailed ken and asked him his opinion on the matter just waiting for a reply now. I would like to have a timing key just in case I feel the need to turn it up some more. I plan on running aroun 8lbs first trip out with it to get a feel for it, then next trip ill turn it up to whatever it can handle and let her fly lol

if you have the extra injector you shouldn't need the timing key to run 10lbs in Revy. Personally I don't agree with the whole timing key thing, IMO it is like robbing peter to pay Paul. Yes you are running more boost with it, but 12 lbs with a key is probably producing the same hp as 10 without. if you know someone that can weld you can order a BOV bung from frozenboost.com and pick up a BOV from anywhere, and just have it welded in as close to the airbox as possible. As for BOV brand I really like the HKS, what are you planning on using for fuel control? Oh and Kevin's turbo clutching rips too!

happy boosting!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I will check out that frozenboost site. I will be using a boondocker controller for now, over the summer I may upgrade and go full on vipec if they impress me enough, or ill do boost it and call it a day, unless I have good success with the boondocker and find its easy to tune. For the remainder of this season it will be boondocker tho. Run straight avgas. And really? I believe he uses a bdx helix and that's as muc as I can tell. I have a team secondary now I was going to run a differen helix setup for that to try but maybe ill give Kevin's a whirl and see how I like it and if I can keep belts on her lol.

Premium Features

Back