• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Training Wife

I want my wife to get into sleddin but I don't want to take her straight to the mountains and I don't want to drive far. I'm not looking for any good riding areas, just a riding area close to Anchorage. It can be hills, flat areas or even trails. I'll be taking her to Upper Huffman later this year, so thanks for not saying that. I appreciate any info you guys/girls can give me.

I want my wife to get into sleddin but I don't want to take her straight to the mountains and I don't want to drive far. I'm not looking for any good riding areas, just a riding area close to Anchorage. It can be hills, flat areas or even trails. I'll be taking her to Upper Huffman later this year, so thanks for not saying that. I appreciate any info you guys/girls can give me.

take her to petersville...nice area to ride especially for beginners..you dont want to take her around nasty stuff right now or she may end up scared and not like riding...also..make darn sure she is dressed warm...and dont yell at her...its tough enough to learn the basics without someone making you feel like its all your fault...patience..is a virtue.......

and dont yell at her...its tough enough to learn the basics without someone making you feel like its all your fault...patience..is a virtue

hahaha, I completely agree!!! Better yet, send her to ride with your friends, for some reason friends are much more patient than husbands.... I am serious!

take her to petersville...nice area to ride especially for beginners..you dont want to take her around nasty stuff right now or she may end up scared and not like riding...also..make darn sure she is dressed warm...and dont yell at her...its tough enough to learn the basics without someone making you feel like its all your fault...patience..is a virtue.......

He's got a really good point.... Dont intimidate her, build her confidence. :) Agreed on Pville- prob a really good place to start; and good gear is a must! Make it fun... If she doesn't know your riding pals (or doesn't feel comfortable riding with them at the get go), think about dedicating a few rides to just you and her. "Date Rides" if ya will. Haha :D

Big lake is another good area to start her out. Feels like you are close to civilization so she doesn't feel like she is in a remote location. Wide open spaces on the lake, easy trails that are sometimes groomed well, close to Anchorage so no long drive. Just let her know not to go blasting across the lake as soon as she gets the hang of steering and controlling the sled because many inexperienced riders will hit berms at high speeds that they don't see until it's too late. Oh and keep her away from the slough between Big Lake and Flat Lake since it never freezes solid enough to ride across.

Matt

Last season was my first season riding snow machines. I have rode four wheelers all my life so i knew the basics of handling a machine. We went to pville at least 7 times. It is one of my favorite places. I found it easier to learn from his friends when they came cause it was much eaiser to keep my cool when i got mad from getting stuck or what have you. Jim Creek is fun when it isnt wind blow. If she doesn't feel comfortable doing something or is scard do not push her to do it. find another way around.

I would start her at Hatchers Pass. It is close to Anchorage. Varied terrain from steep and deep to groomed trails. Start on the groomed and eventually venture off into the powder. Spring time rides at Placer river are great also.

Mark

All really great advice :) especially being patient with her.

Start her out on a sled that is easy for her to handle but has the power to get her where she needs to be, if it's too much machine and she struggles with it (weight or power wise) then her time in the saddle will probably be short lived.

Some women can be pretty intimidated by riding with their mans buddies ~ start her out with people she is comfortable with and doesn't mind being embarrassed around. We will be doing a ladies ride or two again this year, she is definitely welcome to join us. And guys this is not to exclude you by any means... ya know we love ya!! We do the ladies ride because some of the gals seem to do better and have more fun when there is less pressure on them to perform. They learn more and build confidence by seeing that other women are out there doing it too ~ which is a huge benefit to you because if she enjoys it and gets better at it... you'll enjoy riding with her more too :)

Eureka is also a great place to beginner ride, good groomed trails, trail maps and markers, gental elevation changes, and you can ride all the way to lake Louise with good lodging in both locations.

Lots of encouragement and of course warm gear she can move around in.

I'm sure you know your wife and have taught her other things in the past, so if she wants you to be right there for her every moment of this experience then ride close, if she likes you to show her what to do and have her do it on her own and let her play for a bit then do that or if she just wants to go and watch then get up the courage to ride once she watches you then don't pressure her into anything.

You can always go play at Big Lake, PVille, Talkeetna area, ride around Turny when it opens up, Johnson's Pass.

My first memory of riding with my hubby was at Hatchers (fall of 93)- not that this is a good place to ride but it was a close place for him to take me for a ride on his sled with him. I remember riding with him ;) and it was an awesome experience for me. He showed me that riding was fun, but then he allowed me to try his sled by myself and from that point on I was hooked!! One ride and that's all it took for me. He was a great teacher, he was patient and he also encouraged me to do more even though I was uncomfortable with it but I'm glad that he did. Otherwise I'm not sure that I would have liked it so much if he wouldn't have taken the time to show me, teach me, be patient with me, but most of all encourage me. His encouragement :rose: and the excitement that I saw in his face once he noticed how much I loved riding was a reward to me that I knew would turn into a lifetime of recreation that our family passionately enjoys and Eureka is one of our favorite places to ride.

I know your main question was where to take her riding that is close by but......Also, there's more advice on this same subject in the "Powder Room" thread of SW.

Good luck Nut!

Try hooking up with other couples and plan a few weekend rides, make it fun for her. My wife had never ridden a snowmachine until the winter of 2007, first ride and she was hooked. We bought 2 new sleds in the psring of 08 and she loves riding, no jumping or any of that stuff for her but she does like to go fast. She spends time watching us climb and carve the pow and when she feels comfortable enough to try it she does, no pressure on her at all. We usually ride with another couple and their kids and always have a great time but riding alone, just you 2, can be just as much fun.

Anchorage Snowmachine Club

My best advice is go with a group from the Anchorage Snowmachine Club. They organize rides based on experience...from novice to almost insane. From my experience it is really good. For some reason my wife thinks I am yelling at her when I tell her to "stand up!", or "why don't ya jus' give it the %#++*?>< !!! GAS". Maybe its my ear plugs that cause her to think I am yelling.

With the club, there are a lot of other folks from beginners to skilled, and for some reason she thinks they are nicer to her. She also feels braver and less intimidated when she sees a bunch of other nubbies pop up and over a little bluff. If we were by ourselves, all I will hear is "Thats too scary...can we just go around?" With the group she is like "OK I can do this. Must be easy since I see all these other doing it." Group dynamics....use it to your advantage.

PS- it is cheap to join, like $25 or 30 bucks for the family. And more importantly they do a lot of work to keep areas open to riding...there is strength in numbers.

That'll be cool for ya. I know my wife spent her first year on a Phazer 11. She soon outgrew that and now loves her 05 M5. Cuter than a bugs ear, she follows me and the guys everywhere. I look back and she is always the one right behind me. She is gettin' good enough now I feel comfortable sleddin' the backcountry alone with her.

Try to get a full weekend ride at P-ville or Eureka both have cabins and that way when she gets tired you guys can go chill for a bit then go back out she wont feel like she has to ( hang with ya all day ) just make it fun and she will be hooked. One word of warning if she gets hooked you will need to share the mods for her sled to. LOL but it is well worth it.:face-icon-small-hap

LMAO... So true! :D:D

Don't I know it. Why is it nobody feels sorry for when my sled is down and I get stuck riding the wifes sled??? In all honesty, I don't blame the the gals a bit. If I won't ride with stock shocks, why should she get beat up? And since she follows me all over the mtns, why should I have a bunch of mods that make it easier to get around and she has to fight it? What gets me is guys that do this to their wives and then just don't get it when their wives complain about getting beat up and not wanting to go on the next ride. That said, Shwee, you are still a spoiled BRAT!

Reactions: Mag
Don't I know it. Why is it nobody feels sorry for when my sled is down and I get stuck riding the wifes sled??? In all honesty, I don't blame the the gals a bit. If I won't ride with stock shocks, why should she get beat up? And since she follows me all over the mtns, why should I have a bunch of mods that make it easier to get around and she has to fight it? What gets me is guys that do this to their wives and then just don't get it when their wives complain about getting beat up and not wanting to go on the next ride. That said, Shwee, you are still a spoiled BRAT!

lol.... I agree! :D

Premium Features

Back