• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail use hearing in Anc this AM?!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just trying to keep this from getting buried:D:beer;

Current meetings scheduled:

Eagle River - Town Hall - Sept. 15 at 6:30pm Thanks to everyone who turned out!!

Anchorage - Atwood State Office Building - Sept. 16 at 11:30am Going on as I type, little late getting on today:rolleyes:

Girdwood - Girdwood Community Center - Sept. 17 at 6:30pm

Anchorage - Campbell Creek Science Center - Sept 22 at 6:30pm

More info http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/planning.htm

Lets all get informed and get out and make sure our interests and concerns are heard.

LAters

The Anchorage Snowmobile Club had it's first meeting of the season last night and this was a big topic. Once again the skiers are outnumbering us in responses. Please submit comments if you haven't already and PLEASE lean on everyone you know who enjoys motorized sports to lend their voices.

We outnumber the granola crunchers by half and yet they spank us almost every time because they show up and we don't.

Riders need to understand that the State Park trails plan has both summer and winter categories (terra & snow). This is important because not all new trails being planned include winter use (that's us). Yes it's moronic that a trail for ATVs would be closed to snowmachiners but we are dealing with the government here and yes they need to be hit over the head with a 2 x 4 to get them to pay attention. That 2 x 4 needs to be made out of snowmachiner spruce instead of whiner pine!

For instance, Eklutna Lake is up for a new ATV trail on the south side so you could run a loop all the way around but winter use is NOT part of that plan. YOUR comments can change that.

Ensuring that the designated wilderness areas within the park are not expanded require your comments

Expanding the existing trails and opening new routes (Glen Alps to Eagle River for instance) requires your comments.

BTW our club president sits on the Hatcher's Pass advisory board and the head ranger for HP (Mz Miller) was overheard at a planning meeting saying to a hairy legged birkenstocker "We've been working hard to eliminate the snowmachiners". We have a ranger working hard to run you out of one of your favorite riding areas.

Sitting on our butts thinking somebody else will handle it just ain't good enough anymore. Get off your *** and get involved. They're saving Turny for last...for when it's too late. In the mean time we die the death of a thousand cuts.

Tuesday, Sept 22nd...be at the meeting. Please.

The Anchorage Snowmobile Club had it's first meeting of the season last night and this was a big topic. Once again the skiers are outnumbering us in responses. Please submit comments if you haven't already and PLEASE lean on everyone you know who enjoys motorized sports to lend their voices.

We outnumber the granola crunchers by half and yet they spank us almost every time because they show up and we don't.

Riders need to understand that the State Park trails plan has both summer and winter categories (terra & snow). This is important because not all new trails being planned include winter use (that's us). Yes it's moronic that a trail for ATVs would be closed to snowmachiners but we are dealing with the government here and yes they need to be hit over the head with a 2 x 4 to get them to pay attention. That 2 x 4 needs to be made out of snowmachiner spruce instead of whiner pine!

For instance, Eklutna Lake is up for a new ATV trail on the south side so you could run a loop all the way around but winter use is NOT part of that plan. YOUR comments can change that.

Ensuring that the designated wilderness areas within the park are not expanded require your comments

Expanding the existing trails and opening new routes (Glen Alps to Eagle River for instance) requires your comments. That would be Awesome!!!!

BTW our club president sits on the Hatcher's Pass advisory board and the head ranger for HP (Mz Miller) was overheard at a planning meeting saying to a hairy legged birkenstocker "We've been working hard to eliminate the snowmachiners". We have a ranger working hard to run you out of one of your favorite riding areas.

Sitting on our butts thinking somebody else will handle it just ain't good enough anymore. Get off your *** and get involved. They're saving Turny for last...for when it's too late. In the mean time we die the death of a thousand cuts.

Tuesday, Sept 22nd...be at the meeting. Please.

I concur we need to be heard......................................let's all get on it. Take the time to view the plan, not too much time required. Then formulate what you appreciate about our current access, what you would like to see as far as new access, and improvements to parking, existing trails etc. and email it or snail mail it.

They are looking for specific comments about each trail.
The comment period ENDS AT 5PM FRIDAY OCTOBER 16TH.

For more information or to send written comments, contact:
Monica Alvarez
Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Chugach State Park Planning
550 West 7th Ave., Suite 1050
Anchorage, AK 99501
Phone: (907)269-8145 Fax: (907)269-8915
monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

Last edited:
just keeping things current

Just trying to keep this from getting buried:D:beer;

Current meetings scheduled:

Eagle River - Town Hall - Sept. 15 at 6:30pm Thanks to everyone who turned out!!

Anchorage - Atwood State Office Building - Sept. 16 at 11:30am Going on as I type, little late getting on today:rolleyes:DID ANYONE ATTEND THIS MEETING????

Girdwood - Girdwood Community Center - Sept. 17 at 6:30pm Meeting tonight in GoodWeed.....Travis you should be there by now:D

Lets all get informed and get out and make sure our interests and concerns are heard.

LAters

Being new to AK can anyone here assist in what I should be commenting on.. These are important issues that need to be addressed.

thanks in advance.

snopro,

Just leave some positive feedback for sledders on State Park lands.

There are specific changes being proposed. Feel free to comment on them all.

Just keeping it fresh

Anchorage - Campbell Creek Science Center - Sept 22 at 6:30pm[/B]

LAters

Dang it..i may not make it to the 22nd meeting..am headed to work sunday morning at 4 am..(headed out of town), am supposed to be back late tuesday..hopefully I am back in time....

Dang it..i may not make it to the 22nd meeting..am headed to work sunday morning at 4 am..(headed out of town), am supposed to be back late tuesday..hopefully I am back in time....

Well, just take the time to email them with all the input you would like to give them AKS. It all counts, the more input from the sledding community the better.
LA:beer;

am right in the middle of doing that..right now..thanks mike

why no, Thank You Mike:beer;
post_thanks.gif

Just keeping it fresh

LAters

I'm likely to be gone the next few days collecting up a moose for the freezer. I will be at the meeting if I'm back in time...............thanks to everyone who have sent in their comments and made the last couple meetings.
LA:beer;

The links aren't working for me. I can get to the CSP Planning page, but I can't open any of the plan documents. Anybody else having problems?:(

EDIT: got it - I'll read and submit comments tomorrow. There's even a slight chance I can make it to the meeting Tuesday.

Last edited:
ttt

The last of the 4 public comment periods is tonight. 6:30 at the Campbell Creek Science Center.

Here's a map in case you don't know where it is.

For the last 3 meetings a total of 5 snowmachiners showed up. 5 (and 3 of those were at all 3 meetings).

5...pathetic. Enjoy learning how to ski guys

Last edited:
You were not alone Joe,

I was the dude on crutches. The 3 older guys I was standing with are sledders and members of the Citizen's Advisory Board. One of the DNR employees working at the policy table admitted he was a sledder too (I said to him 'I wouldn't say that too loudly at work if I was you')

I found the DNR folks to be more polite than I expected.

What we need is 'us' to submit comments via their website.

thanks for being there guys, polite yeah they were very polite. lets all keep the input rolling in, new parking areas, new riding areas, support for existing areas, positive feedback on what we see they are doing that is good.............what ever...............let them know we are out here.:beer;

Premium Features

Back