• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail use hearing in Anc this AM?!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Dec 31, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Just trying to pester the HELL out of you all and encourage you to turn out. Tomorrow is the first of the 4 upcoming meetings. Hope to see you there:beer; Garcia's after anybody??????

Eagle River - Town Hall - Sept. 15 at 6:30pm

More info http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/planning.htm

Lets all get informed and get out and make sure our interests and concerns are heard.

LAters

I should be at the ER one tomorrow, also down for Garcia's after!

Reactions: LiveAlaska
I have other commitments tomorrow early evening, bummer.... And I am gonna miss all other meetings as well.... so I hope I can find some comment form online to do my part....

Here are few more quotes: :eek:
Manage primarily for the majority of low-impact, nonconsumptive, nonmotorized users, rather than the minority of high-impact and/or consumptive users
Eklutna Lake should be closed to motor vehicles, summer and winter
Support even more non-motorized open space
Close permanently existing open snowmaching areas if area currently open is mostly in the higher alpine zone of park
Night-time operation of snowmachine use in the South Fork of Campbell Creek should be eliminated, if the preferred option of closure to snowmachine use is not approved.
Motorized access to park is inappropriate
Would like to see snowmachine use eliminated in the Glen Alps area

I/we might be able to make Garcias....

Reactions: LiveAlaska

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I have other commitments tomorrow early evening, bummer.... And I am gonna miss all other meetings as well.... so I hope I can find some comment form online to do my part....

Here are few more quotes: :eek:
Manage primarily for the majority of low-impact, nonconsumptive, nonmotorized users, rather than the minority of high-impact and/or consumptive users
Eklutna Lake should be closed to motor vehicles, summer and winter
Support even more non-motorized open space
Close permanently existing open snowmaching areas if area currently open is mostly in the higher alpine zone of park
Night-time operation of snowmachine use in the South Fork of Campbell Creek should be eliminated, if the preferred option of closure to snowmachine use is not approved.
Motorized access to park is inappropriate
Would like to see snowmachine use eliminated in the Glen Alps area

I/we might be able to make Garcias....

Hey Dash,
Here is the only Comments Contact that I spotted on the report

For more information or to send written comments, contact:
Monica Alvarez
Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Chugach State Park Planning
550 West 7th Ave., Suite 1050
Anchorage, AK 99501
Phone: (907)269-8145 Fax: (907)269-8915
email: monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

Thanks for passing on your concerns
LA

Reactions: Alaskan_awd
B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Okay guys/gals ~ this will be only the third time in two years that we have changed the venue for Tuesday Dinner, but this is an important opportunity to make our voice heard. We're going to the meeting instead and ask that everyone else who is available join in as well. It is time more people take a stand and fight for our riding areas, even if you don't normally ride in the CNF ~ it starts there and next thing ya know they'll be trying to "protect" all of our playgrounds.

See y'all there ~ ~ ~ AND at Garcias after the meeting :beer; :beer;

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry I did not make it, I really wanted to go but I lost track of time replacing a fender and console on a sled and before I knew it it was 8pm.

I hope it went well for us Sledders.

bwahahahahahahaha the mans got priorities:beer;

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
So the meeting went well, and as it turns out the public comment meeting turned into a write your comment down and submit it. I would like to thank all those who turned out, was good to meet you! And for the parks dept employees who were present, who put this together.

After walking away from the meeting, to have a quick margarita before the comment period, i was quite encouraged.
The only trail changes i saw for motorized, was changing the access to powerline pass for snowmachine access and adding a trail on the opposite side of Eklutna Lake that would be open for snowmachine use (these are recommended but not funded)
I spoke with the two Park Rangers present and was assured that the present park admin is 'pro motorized usage' take that for what it is. I for one have not heard that in some time.
When i was ready to return to the meeting peeps started showing up at Garcia's informing me that the public comment turned into written public comment:cool:

All this being said, I can not encourage everyone enough, to take the time to give them input of your current usage and what you would like to see addressed or opened up. Right now what we see is based on 300, yeah 300 comments they received back in the conception phase. Not much to go by, so please, take the time to formulate your thoughts in writing and submit them to monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

There you have it, I'm sure I missed some things and hopefully the other peeps that were there will add to what I gathered from the meeting.
Thanks again for all those who took the time to make it to the meeting and to Garcia's after.
My Best,
LA:beer;

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
I attended the meeting in Eagle River tonight and saw a few fellow snowester's there (BLONDZ, LiveAlaska, and several others who's snowest names I don't know... sorry about that). Here's what I saw.
There were about 50-60 people in attendance, including the staff. There didn't seem to be an overwhelming presence of any one group, but I would guess from the looks of it that motorized users were not in the majority. They gave about a 20 minute presentation and then everyone wandered around to different stations to ask questions to the staff and give comments about certain trails. There was no open group discussion or question and answer session. The presentation talked about the process that is under way to reorganize the trail classification system and bring it inline with the system the Federal Gov uses. As of right now there was no change in the number of trails/areas that have snowmachine access. In fact they are actually proposing to open a new trail on the other side of Eklutna Lake for snowmachine use.
However for the next month they will be accepting comments from the public on trails within the park, and if there is an overwhelming public outcry over a certain trail they could revisit the issue and change who is allowed to use it. So it is imperative that we get on the computer and let them know our thoughts. Constructive, well thought out comments will get us a lot further than ranting about how a bunch of tree huggers on snowshoes out birdwatching are ruining our access to riding areas.

They are looking for specific comments about each trail.
The comment period ENDS AT 5PM FRIDAY OCTOBER 16TH.
Send your comments to monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

Also if you would like to read the proposal for yourself you can find all the information here http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/planning.htm

So to summarize, right now there have been no proposed changes to where we can ride in the park. However we need to be sure to make ourselves heard so that doesn't change. Thanks for your time. Storm

Looks like LiveAlaska beat me to it...sorry for the duplicate info

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I attended the meeting in Eagle River tonight and saw a few fellow snowester's there (BLONDZ, LiveAlaska, and several others who's snowest names I don't know... sorry about that). Here's what I saw.
There were about 50-60 people in attendance, including the staff. There didn't seem to be an overwhelming presence of any one group, but I would guess from the looks of it that motorized users were not in the majority. They gave about a 20 minute presentation and then everyone wandered around to different stations to ask questions to the staff and give comments about certain trails. There was no open group discussion or question and answer session. The presentation talked about the process that is under way to reorganize the trail classification system and bring it inline with the system the Federal Gov uses. As of right now there was no change in the number of trails/areas that have snowmachine access. In fact they are actually proposing to open a new trail on the other side of Eklutna Lake for snowmachine use.
However for the next month they will be accepting comments from the public on trails within the park, and if there is an overwhelming public outcry over a certain trail they could revisit the issue and change who is allowed to use it. So it is imperative that we get on the computer and let them know our thoughts. Constructive, well thought out comments will get us a lot further than ranting about how a bunch of tree huggers on snowshoes out birdwatching are ruining our access to riding areas.

They are looking for specific comments about each trail.
The comment period ENDS AT 5PM FRIDAY OCTOBER 16TH.
Send your comments to monica.alvarez@alaska.gov

Also if you would like to read the proposal for yourself you can find all the information here http://http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/planning.htm

So to summarize, right now there have been no proposed changes to where we can ride in the park. However we need to be sure to make ourselves heard so that doesn't change. Thanks for your time. Storm

Thanks Storm:cool:

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Attention: Don't forget to have your spouses do the same. With no motorized access, we will all be forced to pester our loved ones all the time. They will have no reprieve during the winter months if we cant get away :):):)

A
Dec 11, 2007
Seward
Where can we find a list of specific trails? Where do the comments get sent? Seems the easiest thing to do is cut & past a publicly corrrect message to 1 receipent after another if necessary

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Premium Features